Current Page: 2 of 6
The Hay House empire
Posted by: kath ()
Date: December 05, 2006 03:46AM

The set-up would be I imagine similar to those study groups based on A Course in Miracles. But the teacher had been trained to teach it or something I think, it was not a dicussion group, but a taught course of exercises and meditations.

This lady and perhaps some others were running this course at several venues in my city alone at that time, (about 6 years ago) so I imagine there was a similar thing in other cities too.

Options: ReplyQuote
The Hay House empire
Posted by: wildswan ()
Date: December 05, 2006 11:59PM

Drivingthecar, people can publish whatever they want. I'm just saying that cults have formed around Louise L. Hay, Dr. Doreen Virtue, etc. I opine that some Hay House authors are exploiting people.

IMHO, Dr. Doreen Virtue is exploiting people who need more help than an angel board. She has made such an excess of everything angels that I believe she is in it "for the money"now.

Cults form around all kinds of healers, including Christian (Joyce Meyer) and Kabbalah (Michael Berg). I'm focusing on Hay House in this forum.

The Hay House empire
Date: December 06, 2006 03:37AM

For me the dangerous part of belief systems of people like Louise Hays is that it when it doesn't work, the person who is using the system thinks they are doing something wrong. This type of belief system also encourages simplistic, black-and-white thinking, e.g., (and I am making this up) saying that everyone with cancer has unexpressed rage. Even if there turns out to be a psychosomatic component to illness, I think it would not necessarily be the same for each person. The worst case for following a belief system like this is when, in the case of a serious illness, a person waits too long to get proven treatment. I think it is important to educate people about how to evaluate treatment providers and treatment protocols so they can make the best decision on how to take care of themselves.

I also don't think anyone on this board is advocating burning new age books or anything like that. As a former "new ager," I would like to see more people asking questions of not just, but especially, alternative healthcare, as well as their traditional medical doctors. Most alternative practitioners expect you to believe what they say soley on their authority and based on testimonials, which can be very misleading.

Even when I was a "new ager" I could not take Louise Hays' books and her descriptions of the emotional issues that correlated with each illness. I even purchased a few, but never could get very far in them.

QE

The Hay House empire
Posted by: jeannelucille ()
Date: December 07, 2006 10:41AM

Wildswan, I agree that "Dr. Doreen Virtue is exploiting people who need more help than an angel board."

Years ago I trained with Doreen to become an "Angel Therapy" practitioner. It wasn't long before I realized that the brief and superficial training she'd provided barely prepared me to effectively deal with the rather troubled people who contacted me for assistance. I ended up "resigning" as a counselor and removing myself from a listing on her website.

In addition, I've become acquainted with someone who once worked closely with Ms. Virtue. Let's just say that Doreen ain't exactly what she presents herself to be.

I feel so much healthier these days, having let go of many of the New Age beliefs and practices I used to cling to so desperately. I think now that much of it was wishful thinking that rarely, if ever, bore fruit.

*sigh*

The Hay House empire
Posted by: wildswan ()
Date: December 07, 2006 11:21PM

I wasted A LOT of money on New Age practices. I'm 27 now and I just can't believe how much money I wasted! Louise L. Hay's books- You Can Heal Your Life was a good read for me. So, I bought the workbook. Okay, fine.

But, I wanted to work on some other things with her methods. Too bad that her other books are all repetitious- saying the EXACT same thing with different pictures and illustrations. I liked one of her CDs- You Can Do It!. So, I bought a second one to learn something else. That CD said the EXACT same thing- just a different title. And, many of her beliefs were ripped off from people with Ph.Ds in psychology or counseling. I wouldn't have a problem with this, but she's not giving credit to the professionals. I think she credited Susan Jeffers, Ph.D ONCE!!!

To me, she's running a multi-level marketing scheme by producing the same THINGS in different packages and titles. Come up with something new- or just don't publish- needy people rely on her. (And yes, many of us felt "needy" when we were drawn to the New Age, IMHO.)

The Hay House empire
Date: December 08, 2006 01:15AM

jeannelucille
In addition, I've become acquainted with someone who once worked closely with Ms. Virtue. Let's just say that Doreen ain't exactly what she presents herself to be.

Ooooh do tell us more :shock:

The Hay House empire
Date: December 08, 2006 02:05AM

Kath, as a former member of Doreen's stable of "practitioners," I am rather hesitant to say anything about what I've heard -- mainly because my username here could reveal my identity to Ms. "Virtue" and I wouldn't want to get hit with a lawsuit!

That said, I feel safe in revealing just a few things that I believe are public knowledge. First is that Doreen is currently married to husband number 4! (I have certainly speculated on what THAT might say about her character!) The second thing is, Doreen claims to adhere to "natural" forms of self-care and healing (e.g., she is a non-leather-wearing vegan), yet in one of her recent books (I believe it's [i:1c81f67cd6]Goddesses and Angels[/i:1c81f67cd6]), she mentions having had a chemical face peel done. I remember feeling rather shocked when I read that -- as did at least one other of my former fellow angel therapy practitioners!

Here's something else I can share... It's a little review of one of Doreen's workshops, which I found on a blog called "Skeptico":

"Hi I just went to Doreen Virtue's seminar in NYC. I want to start off with saying I am very spiritual and have a deep faith in God. I have read many of Virtue's books and really enjoyed them. I have had some really hair, unexplainable occurrences in my life and her books gave me some of understanding to what was going on. However; I did find her seminar to really be fraudulent and it ended up making skin crawl. I was very disappointed. First of all she had 'actors' raising their hands. One of the men stood up and gave us a humungeous speel. One of ATP's handed him a kleenex off cue and then he had force himself to cry. My husband bursted out laughing.

"Second, her husband, (Steve Farmer) really tried to promote all the 'hayhouse' stuff and himself. He attempted several times to upstage Virtue. I do not think their marriage will last another year. (remember you heard it here first) Thirdly, her ATP's walked around with this vacant look in their eyes like most cult members have; they really creeped me out.

"I would love to talk to someone that has done her longer seminars and maybe do some research on them. Everyone deserves to make a buck, but after what I saw and what I have read here. I can see how destructive and frightening these people are. I agree with solitude, I think Ms. Virtue probably does have some kind of gift (like everyone does) but she has misused it and is taking advantage of people to the point where they lose their money and their relationships."

The above quote and other comments can be found here:

[skeptico.blogs.com][/quote]

The Hay House empire
Date: December 08, 2006 03:34AM

jeannelucille
she mentions having had a chemical face peel done. I remember feeling rather shocked when I read that -- as did at least one other of my former fellow angel therapy practitioners!

Well, Louise Hay herself has a face which erm, I don't think she has achieved with affirmations alone :lol:

The Hay House empire
Date: December 08, 2006 04:04AM

Well, Louise Hay herself has a face which erm, I don't think she has achieved with affirmations alone
Bahahahaha!

Oh how I WISH I could say more, Kath!

The Hay House empire
Date: December 08, 2006 05:48AM

LOL :lol:

I know how annoying it is to have joined under the name by which a group knows you.

Maybe you could PM, (if you are allowed) me or something? :)

Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.