Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
The Hay House empire
Posted by: wildswan ()
Date: November 29, 2006 03:50AM

I am wondering what people think of Louise L. Hay and her publishing empire. I find most of her work to be filled with same kind of nonsense as Esther and Jerry Hicks'. Her books and CDs are complete scams- same words, different packages. I am very skeptical of her work. Overall, it's just not helpful.

Doreen Virtue, Ph.D is the only other Hay House author I've followed. There's just nothing redeeming in Doreen's work. She's built up a base of followers and now she's exploiting them. First it was angel cards, then fairy cards, then calendars, and then some "angel board" divination tool. And people fall for this???

What do other people think of Louise L. Hay and the people she publishes?

Options: ReplyQuote
The Hay House empire
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 30, 2006 12:25PM

I read Louise Hay when I first became interested in complementary medicine. I thought she was crazy. One particular book I read was a listing of ailments and Hay's "underlying diagnosis", a term so typical in the mass marketing of alternative nonprofessionals. For instance, people with sore throats, tonsillitis, etc. have difficulty being heard, they don't express themselves well - just real nonsense but dangerous nonsense in the hands of someone who has chronic symptoms that aren't being helped by mainstream medicine.

The Hay House empire
Posted by: kath ()
Date: December 03, 2006 12:04PM

She was notorious for blaming gay people suffering from HIV on an 'underlying' guilt about their sexuality.

The Hay House empire
Posted by: drivingthecar ()
Date: December 04, 2006 04:53AM

[b:e80fd77eab]Sigh.[/b:e80fd77eab]

Just because people believe in things you don't believe in doesn't make them dangerous or a cult.

I do not believe in Hell, nor do I believe that I need to accept Jesus Christ as my savior in order to avoid it.

So should I then label ALL of Christianity a cult?

What do you guys want to do, shut down all non-mainstream beliefs? Have people only be able to buy books that personally make sense to you?

Or is the desire to shut down all offensive information just another cult in disguise?

The Hay House empire
Date: December 04, 2006 08:17AM

It's called discussion. You have a point tho I suppose, whatever we think of a belief system, we need to focus on for instance if it is exploitative financially or emotionally and such.

The Hay House empire
Date: December 04, 2006 10:08AM

No one said she or her material is cult.

The Hay House empire
Date: December 04, 2006 10:11AM

No one said she or her material is cult-related.

The Hay House empire
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: December 04, 2006 12:55PM

Hope

Louise Hay spent some time at Maharishi University in Fairfield, Iowa.

I'm not familiar w/ Hay's writings - am unable to state if her material is related to TM teachings or not.

The Hay House empire
Posted by: drivingthecar ()
Date: December 04, 2006 02:26PM

Hope

In my short time here, I have seen plenty of discussions get shut down for not being "cult-related."

I have been to a Doreen Virtue seminar. She did some readings like John Edward and then gave some interactive instruction on how to read auras. There was a slight promo at the end for her class in Hawaii, and she sold books and tapes in the back.

She did not, however, do any brainwashing techniques, embarrass or humiliate people publicly, hypnotize people into feeling fearful, do a hard upsell or any of those other things that would make her into a cult.

Hay House itself publishes books, tapes, and new age gifts. It sponsors workshops by its various authors but these are not part of some sort of juggernaut like a Landmark.

You may disagree with Louise Hay's positive thinking philosophy but that does not make her dangerous. And so what if she studied with the Mahariji? I think the Beatles did too, didn't they? Boy, you better go out and burn that copy of "Imagine" then. It's based on new age beliefs!!

The Hay House empire
Date: December 05, 2006 03:41AM

Where I live in the UK, you can do local evening classes at adult education centres, entitled 'You can Heal Your Life.' and yes I did actually go for a while lol, and we all had to buy the book.

What one lady who went, who happened to be a social worker, said, was that most of the people there had very deep problems. They'd not just be solved by affirmations and stuff like that. She stopped going because she didn't like to see people with such problems, that were never going to find the help they needed from a class based around a self-help book.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.