Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: The Hay House empire
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 07, 2008 08:40PM

golfer6716:

You are coming very close to personal attacks and flaming.

It's OK to state your opinions, but not OK to attack others personally that post at this board.

Stay within the rules you agreed to before posting here, which include no flaming and no preaching.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greg hamond ()
Date: September 23, 2009 06:12AM

HAY.....no way...and circa 1990 i believe she went broke...a friend worked for her and I think the company was closed...he said she was ' beautiful' but I think shes a self promoter.

Posted by: questioner ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:50AM

I don't think Hay House is a cult. Some of their authors might not be 100% honest but I don't think the company itself is a cult.

Date: January 05, 2011 02:44PM

Thanks everyone for posting your thoughts. I, as well, find them refreshing to read.

As for Doreen, I would think that she is causing some very bad karma for herself, if she actually believes in it. She keeps telling people to seek answers within, which I agree with, however, her instructions are completely wrong. She tells people to be positive all the time and, in essence, deny the negative aspects of life. Also, she tells people to ask a question and go with the first answer your mind gives, I personally know how much that can mess with a person. My sister has been in and out of at least 7 institutions in nearly 6 months now. She got into all of this stuff and now she is literally insane. I got into it, too, but eventually realized it is not 100% truth. IMO, any part of Doreen Virtue that was good and pure at one point got sucked up into the Hayhouse machine.

Posted by: MaryLou ()
Date: April 07, 2013 11:03PM

Hello. Is this thread still going?
I am concerned at the influence of the Hay House empire.
I don't claim to be any expert on New Age beliefs, though I have read Louise Hay's book 'You Can Heal Your Life'. Someone who had become an advocate of her philosophy recommended it. I wasn't impressed and I didn't like the affect it had had on my associate.
I also thought it a bit sinister the way Ms Hay made no attempt to address counter arguments to her 'negative thought is the cause of all suffering' arguments. Isn't that called 'teaching received wisdom' or some such thing? Surely if the movement has a basic philosophy, it should be interested in engaging in debate? It doesn't behave as if there is any debate about its basic assumptions.
I read somewhere that in order to publish with Hay House you aren't allowed to publish a book criticical of any movement or philosophy or cult though it seems you are allowed to say that people bring ill health and misfortune on themselves by having negative thoughts. I think that is being judgemental in an underhand way. The leaders claim to have made a lot of money just through thinking happy thoughts.
Also, there is the fact that as founder of this empire Louise Hay had connections with TM, which I believe is a cult. She was also connected with the Church of Religious Science which is I think is seen as not being definable as a cult but a bit borderline?
There are lots of Hay inspired workshops and so on here in the UK sold as evening classes. Those Hay House books (which I've glanced over, and seem varients on a theme) sell huge numbers and have a massive influence.

I am concerned that I had to search determinedly on the Internet to find anyone who actually dares to critcise Hay House. There's something sinister about an organisation that people seem so anxious not to offend. I would like to know if there are any people involved in combating this sort of stuff? I realise there are the complicated issues of free speech,but exactly what sort of process is Hay House involved in?

Pages: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.