is Ebay a Scam?
Posted by: Guy ()
Date: October 15, 2003 01:20PM

you had me there....:D

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is Ebay a Scam?
Posted by: dsm ()
Date: December 10, 2009 10:16AM

Isn't ebay an MLM? I mean, they have affiliates who get percentages of the fees and they have people selling ebay services as teams....

I'm not sure I'd call ebay a cult, but I think it is an MLM.

There is something about all MLM behavior that is cult-like, but is it a controlling cult?

When you look at the way comunication between sellers and their customers is controlled, it does look like a cult that absorbs relationships....

but it is not clear to me.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: December 10, 2009 09:15PM

I have been buying things on ebay for years and no one has ever pitched an MLM scam that I am aware of through the Web site.

Ebay is simply a place for people to buy and sell items.

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: February 13, 2010 05:29PM

It's just that the auction experience can become somewhat addictive, that's all.

Unfortunately, due to the prohibitive amount of money that was paid for PayPal, the company has needed to dollar and dime everything they can get out of the business at the expense of those who were the "power users" and had successful symbiotic businesses. It's also the reason why Ebay coerces you to only pay via PayPal at every opportunity, rather than use another method. They desperately need to make the PayPal thing "work".

John

Posted by: Sir Laughs-A-Lot ()
Date: July 11, 2010 01:47PM

Something to consider - is that, IF you are unfortunate enough to buy defective product, then Ebay's loyalties despite claims to the contrary are too their sellers, because that is where their fees (income) derive.

In effect - when you do receive defective product and cannot get satisfaction thru the ebay mediation process - the encouragement is then to "try and sell it off" to the next sucker, and get your $ back.

Of course - Ebay then get fees on the same item again, and again etc.

It is in Ebays direct fiscal interest to promote the selling of defective product over and over again - and NOT to have an effective dispute resolution system.

This was my first experience with Ebay.

When unable to get satisfaction from their power seller thru their dispute system (I even sent the item to its manufacturers service department who gave a written report saying it was defective and spare parts no longer made to be able to repair it) they would NOT resolve in my favor - yet goods were clearly not as described. (Description was 100% perfect working order & I bid and paid a premium price based on that).

I went as far as posting on their own forum that there is a direct fiscal incentive for Ebay NOT to resolve against defective product sellers.

My post was deleted and access to their forums banned.

Ebay is known by many, who have experienced the downside of the online auction system as Evilbay!

Just be well aware that you can come unstuck and they are not as good at resolution of disputes as you might imagine and they would have you believe.

Cheers

Posted by: sfhdweb ()
Date: December 13, 2010 09:32PM

I agree with you

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: December 13, 2010 10:03PM

Lets stay on topic. This message board is not about Ebay. It is for other purposes.

See the rules you both agreed to as part of the registration process.

This forum was established for the purpose of allowing those with concerns about certain groups, leaders and designated topics to express and address those concerns

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: Paul_peter ()
Date: June 30, 2011 12:53PM

John Fox
It's just that the auction experience can become somewhat addictive, that's all.

Unfortunately, due to the prohibitive amount of money that was paid for PayPal, the company has needed to dollar and dime everything they can get out of the business at the expense of those who were the "power users" and had successful symbiotic businesses. It's also the reason why Ebay coerces you to only pay via PayPal at every opportunity, rather than use another method. They desperately need to make the PayPal thing "work".

John

I don't think so. And as for the addictive experience you are quoting, which online shopping portal does not seen addictive? I bet the ones that don't, actually have zero consumer retention value. What say?!

Posted by: John Fox ()
Date: July 01, 2011 07:00AM

Paul_peter
I don't think so. And as for the addictive experience you are quoting, which online shopping portal does not seen addictive? I bet the ones that don't, actually have zero consumer retention value. What say?!

I say you stay on topic and make a valid point.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 07:03AM by John Fox.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.