Current Page: 11 of 17
Re: Abraham - Hicks
Posted by: billiesue ()
Date: September 09, 2008 01:24PM

It seems no one has responded in almost 2 years. I cannot find anything damning about Abraham-Hicks. I have seen Abraham/Ester speak on video and if this is fake she is good. There are no pauses, such as a...like if I were speaking. The thoughts flow like from another source, maybe I am a sucker but I have learned a great deal. Research some of the greats in history, their lives illustrate what focus can produce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:24AM

billiesue
It seems no one has responded in almost 2 years. I cannot find anything damning about Abraham-Hicks. I have seen Abraham/Ester speak on video and if this is fake she is good. There are no pauses, such as a...like if I were speaking. The thoughts flow like from another source, maybe I am a sucker but I have learned a great deal. Research some of the greats in history, their lives illustrate what focus can produce.

If you use the Search option at the top of the screen, you can find lengthy ongoing threads about Abraham-Hicks.

Re: Abraham - Hicks WHERE ARE THESE THREADS
Posted by: enough ()
Date: September 13, 2008 04:59AM

I keep getting this one and I have so much i want to say about this topic. It has turned my wife into someone who i do not recognize. All of her worst qualities are amplified and we are getting divorced after 10 years (we have 2 kids both adopted and I won't let her infect their minds with this self centered, vapid, hocus pocus!) I am going to the mat on this one. My outrage is energizing but once i get through all this i know a lot of pain is waiting for me. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DESPISE THE TENNANTS OF ABRAHAM F-----g HICKS.

NY TIMES validates Jerry Hicks was involved with Amway and Circus!
Posted by: enough ()
Date: September 13, 2008 05:11AM

Shaking Riches Out of the Cosmos
Print
Single Page
Reprints
Save
Linkedin
Digg
Facebook
Mixx
Yahoo! Buzz

Published: February 25, 2007
(Page 2 of 2)

Abraham, whose speaking voice is rounder, quicker and more computerlike than Ms. Hicks’s natural voice, replied by repeating the woman’s phrase roughly 20 times and then explained it contained its own negativity, which was leaving the woman paddling upstream on the river of life.

Skip to next paragraph

Stephani Diani for The New York Times
Rhonda Byrne, the producer of the film and book called “The Secret.”
The audience applauded.

The Hickses spend most of the year traveling the country, leading workshops based on the teachings they say Abraham has given them. They record the workshops and have 10,000 subscribers, who pay up to $50 a month for CDs and DVDs of Abraham’s wisdom.

When Ms. Byrne asked Ms. Hicks to appear in “The Secret,” as the most prominent interpreter of the law of attraction, she agreed to give the Hickses approval over much of the movie, according to a contract. But when the couple saw the first cut, they were livid. Ms. Hicks’s voice, chaneling Abraham, was used as narration throughout the film, but her face was never shown.

After negotiation, Ms. Hicks’s image was edited into the film and it was released, ultimately netting the Hickses $500,000 from sales, Ms. Hicks said. But the couple were unhappy with the distribution. They said they understood it would be shown first on Australian television, but instead it was being sold as an Internet download and later as a DVD.

Cynthia Black, the president of Beyond Words Publishing, a New Age imprint, who is both a longtime friend of the Hickses and the publisher of Ms. Byrne’s book version of “The Secret,” tried to broker a peace. She enlisted the help of Jack Canfield, the author of “Chicken Soup for the Soul,” one of the “transformational experts” who appears in “The Secret” (and whose nephew Zach Canfield says he used the law of attraction to score a date with the hip-hop singer Lady Sovereign). But Mr. Canfield was also unable to bring the parties together.

The Hickses consulted their lawyer, and Ms. Byrne in turn demanded changes to the contract, both sides said. No agreement could be reached. Ms. Byrne moved forward with a second version of “The Secret” without the Hickses. Advised by their lawyer to sue, the Hickses said they declined because litigation would take energy from their own pursuit of the law of attraction. “We don’t sue,” said Mr. Hicks, a former circus acrobat and Amway distributor.

Ms. Byrne does not seem overly troubled by the rupture. “I’m grateful to have had the journey with them for the time that we had,” she said, sitting on a plush chair next to a honeysuckle candle in her apartment in Santa Monica, Calif. With a glittering silver circle affixed with false-eyelash glue to the center of her forehead, she related how she had mortgaged her home in Melbourne, where she worked as a television producer, to finance “The Secret” and also received an investment from a former Internet executive in Chicago, Bob Rainone. The cost of the films was about $3 million, Ms. Byrne said.

Ms. Byrne, 55, seems possessed by the energy of her success, jumping from side to side as she speaks. Her gray eyes shine with the fervor of the true believer as she talks about setting the goal of taking her vision to the world and watching it come true. “It’s incredible to actually experience an intention that is so big, to experience it is ... ” She paused as her voice crested and swooped as if on the edge of breaking. “It’s like I can feel the lives, every life changing, the joy,” she said.

Without the Hickses’ 10 percent cut, Ms. Byrne and her Chicago investor will reap millions in additional profits. None of the film’s other self-help gurus were paid. But “even though money was involved,” Ms. Byrne insisted, “it was never about that.”

And the Hickses agreed. “We earn millions of dollars a year” already, Mr. Hicks said.

No, the clash seems mainly over who deserves credit, and the wave of mainstream publicity, for this latest version of prosperity consciousness. The Hickses have preached the law of attraction while traveling with Abraham for 21 years. Ms. Byrne’s exposure to the notion is more recent: she was going through a rough patch in her life in 2004, when her daughter gave her a copy of “The Science of Getting Rich,” first published in 1910.

The book discussed how focusing on gratitude can help a person take control of life. Ms. Byrne delved into the works of other self-help gurus, like Charles Haanel’s “Master Key System” from 1912; Prentice Mulford’s 19th-century “Thoughts Are Things”; and Robert Collier’s “Secret of the Ages” from 1926.

By contrast, Ms. Hicks reads no self-help or spiritual material, she said, wanting to keep her mind clear for Abraham’s messages. Without knowing what others have written, friends of the Hickses said, it is easy to understand why they believe they did the most to popularize the law of attraction before “The Secret.”

“Some of the people who are in the movie, I agree, have clearly listened to Abraham tapes, said Ms. Black, the publisher. “But Abraham has never said ‘This is just mine, don’t share it with everyone.’ ”

For the second version of “The Secret,” Ms. Byrne used Lisa Nichols, an author of “Chicken Soup for the African-American Soul,” and Marci Shimoff, an author of “Chicken Soup for the Woman’s Soul,” to fill gaps left by Ms. Hicks’s removal. (The DVD of the Hicks version of “The Secret” is going for $104 on Amazon.com.)

Walking along the Pacific Ocean at surf’s edge on a sunny day last week, Ms. Byrne said no one owns the law of attraction because it is universal, like another famous law. “I can’t go ‘law of gravity, that’s mine,’ ” she said.

What the Hickses say bothers them most about the second version of “The Secret” is that those who watch it are not receiving enough explanation of the law or being told that its discovery was made by “vibrationally accessing broader intelligence,” Ms. Hicks said.

Bringing forth the voice of Abraham as she sat on a buttery leather seat in her motor home, speaking of herself in the third person, she said, “Esther’s concern is that they will destroy this information because they do not really know it.”

A-H (Enough)
Posted by: Harleygal ()
Date: September 16, 2008 05:05AM

enough
I keep getting this one and I have so much i want to say about this topic. It has turned my wife into someone who i do not recognize. All of her worst qualities are amplified and we are getting divorced after 10 years (we have 2 kids both adopted and I won't let her infect their minds with this self centered, vapid, hocus pocus!) I am going to the mat on this one. My outrage is energizing but once i get through all this i know a lot of pain is waiting for me. I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DESPISE THE TENNANTS OF ABRAHAM F-----g HICKS.

The people who have been through this type of loss DUE TO... A-H, can relate to how you are feeling and the pain you are experiencing. "F" Abraham-Hicks... I totally agree. It would be amazing to know the number of lives/families this CULT has destroyed!!?? It has been a journey this past year and a half, but I made it and I pray you do as well. What I find amazing is how the followers that were instrumental in the destruction of my family are finding out it is not the perfect world. They are not enjoying vass wealth, health and happiness and I would like to think they are realizing that they need to be responsible for themselves? I've even heard from a few of them recently and they apologize for what they have done and they truly would understand if I did not forgive them. So what do I do here? Be the bigger person... hell no... what I knew as a family unit is gone/destroyed.

Anyway, I fought this past year and a half for me and my children! I realize now how strong I am and I am very very thankful for that. You stay strong for you and for your children and keep posting to the board as it was healing tool for me!

Re: A-H (Enough)
Posted by: xythos ()
Date: December 13, 2008 04:31AM

Harleygal
Anyway, I fought this past year and a half for me and my children! I realize now how strong I am and I am very very thankful for that. You stay strong for you and for your children and keep posting to the board as it was healing tool for me!

Dear Harleygal,

Although I'm kind of "trundeling behind" on this thread, I've read through all the pages here & it is so very upsetting to read all the individual stories here...

I am glad & very relieved for you that you have been able to carve out your own path away from your soon ex-to-be(?) husband. I can only imagine the pain, the sorrow & the despair that diabolic couple has created in your own home base. Same goes for the enough poster & all the others who have suffered because of the A-H Law of S***.

Although I came in touch with A-H only briefly back in 2002, it really deepend the whole 'attraction law' crapology that people like Louise Hay had begun to 'promote' with her "You can heal your Life" book. A-H were just the 'better' BS merchants (kind of comes with the territory what with a MLM 'rip-off' mentality trying to sell ice to the eskimos, if you get my drift...).

And even though A-H 'exploded' onto the "public new age circuit" with the 'help' of "The S**t-Creed", my then 'manifestation coach' had completely been done & sucked in by the whole A-H 'isms'.... When I finally had the 'questionable privilege' to see "The S**t-Creed" on wide screen, I well & soundly fell asleep during the screening! I had me a nice little nap!

I'd seen all these self-made con-men-/women before & had been 'overexposed' to them from the www.manifestyourlife.com website...which is why I probably had gotten tired of that lot by then given I knew their whole spiel inside outside & like the back of my hand.... Booooring....!

All 'hail n' glory' it wasn't either with the mostly European audience I was watching it with. Most of the viewers thought it was "typical American BS" & being completely obsessed with the 'acquisition' of material goods & filling one's pockets.

I 'saw' the original version - not that it made that much of a difference to me, as, like I said, I slept mostly through the 'movie' & woke up when it was over...

I am sorry to say though, that I had been 'spoon-fed' this LoA crap "theology" from various other sources over the course of several years. One of the things I could never really 'get my head around' was, for ex. that mentally & physically handicapped children would've 'asked for' it. Or other people with terminal illnesses (notably, children) or those born with HIV in the backstreets of South Africa, Zimbabwe or God knows in other forlorn places of the planet with no healthcare, no nothing, not even a reason to stay alive.

My mother used to work in a home for mentally & physically handicapped children & I grew up around them as a youngster & only those who have seen the heartache & helplessness parents of such children feel & are confronted with can truly emphasise & just be aghast at the unbelievable cruelty that betrays A-H 'isms' with 'a license to dish out unasked for advice' without thinking twice what craters these so-called "truths" can create in those affected.

Same goes for all the other 'stigmatised' unofficial "outcasts" of society that is 'defended' with a zombie-like 'self-justification programme' (which, the Law of S**t-Creed really is) of the "mind is absent - nobody home, come back later" Hicksters.

I have also long suspected that those who open themselves up for 'channelling' purposes often "attract" (there goes that word again - uuuueeehhhwww!!!) questionable & dubious 'spirits' that often 'cloak' themselves as "benign" when in fact it is always a very, very mixed bag at best, & seriously distorted at worst...

Certainly, the 'entities' "Esther" (what a biblical name!) seems to 'channel' are, what could at best be described as "sharks in sheeps' clothing" (in blue chip circles, or as in recent months, the wheeler dealers of Wall Street are referred to as 'sharks' - lawyers are the other professional body that are 'honoured' with that dubious label). If one is a good 'actor' one has a quite some presence, even if that 'presence' is iffy... Any good sales person knows who to put up a good front.

The one thing I learned & took away from it is that taking real responsibility for one's own life (including one's unresolved issues that one inevitably schlepps around [un-]awares if not taken care of properly & which then finds the "perfect" soil to 'grow' some utmost bizarre 'solutions' to much deeper lying problems that, even with the "best of intentions" no 'LoSC' can solve), taking action as & when required are quite different from what the LoCrap is teaching.

Still, as empty-handed as they are 'left behind' (reminds me of another sect! Yiikes!), the drones nonetheless continue to 'propagate' the very thing that destroys not only their families but a genuine sense of 'right' & 'wrong', of ethics & morale.

In addition, as has been noted here throughout the thread, it truly 'nurtures' & brings out an obsessive, childish sense of 'entitlement' (the screaming spoiled brat in the store comes to mind here...!), a 'de-lineation' from anything to do with reality as is given that the Law of S**t-Creed is all 'plastic' in the sense of a "plastic, i.e., 'malleable' universe".

Part of being a genuine grown-up, mature & hopefully balanced individual is to become one's own 'guru' (without any followers, please!) rather than listening to, or watching endless hours of "how to's" without getting off of one's own backside. That includes looking at what's "kaputt" in my backyard (i.e., my past unresolved hiccups) & get busy finding some real professionals rather than pseudo-'help' doctors who just make the whole situation worse & leave ya back in the mud to waste away when you can't gather the energy anymore to get up on your own feet...

If anything, standing up for oneself, rather than "lying down & thinking of England" (metaphorically speaking), fighting tooth & nail for one's rights, shouting out one's disagreements, are the 'lessons' the LoS**t-Creed can teach. And sometimes being all "sweet & lovey dovey" just won't do the job.

We have a lot more power than we realise & sometimes adversity brings out the best in us, our true colours, our strength, our stamina & most importantly, our power to not back down until we get what we need. Often, there is an enormous difference between 'want' & 'need'.

I sum it up as "want" being/coming from the ego whereas need is coming from our heart, the centre of our emotional hearth. The new age BS crapology often sorely ends up mixing up one with the other or, 'dismissing' the real 'need' (not the imagined) in importance over our 'want'....as is the example with your 'hubby'.

The need for justice is a universal need. The want for material acquisition is 'cultivated' in the industrialised nations very much to the detriment of those who don't even get their most basic daily needs taken care of.

Recognising the 'confusion' & blurred lines, it then is no longer an issue of "oh, I'll have to buy another book so I can do one better!", rather we can just find our own source as close to ourselves as possible.

Our heart.

When we heal our hearts we can find the courage to leave this 'plastic crutch' behind that is so fragile that with the first strong gust of wind, it'll crack under our weight..

If we reclaim our true inherent power, we don't need to go on a ridiculously expensive 'cruise' (cruising them bankaccounts while laughing all the way to the docks!) that not only has nothing to do with any bloody friggin' laws of "attraction", other than the 'law of selling', but more over, leaves us with a sense of "is/was this all there is? What next? What now?"

It took me a long time to get away from this sick mindfuck that it is, & I am still working on 'disentangling' myself more & more from this mean, ill-directed & plain nasty 'Law of S**t'. And, one of the primary reasons was, like I have said, that it didn't fill my empty heart... I had to learn to nurture that elsewhere (not with a new sect/crapology, but with real people who worked professionally who are properly to help people with just such issues).

These days, I prefer to be a hardnosed realist rather than to fall for any other "quick & easy" schemes, 'methodologies', any other BS lines or BS merchants (which there are plenty to be leery of!). And, I'd rather rely on my own common sense, my intuition, my BS radar/detector, my own brains & do as much as I am able to within my circumstances to cover my square butt (wink!) with taking action as I feel it's necessary, appropriate or called for.

I ain't waitin' no more for some 'miracle' "Law" to 'get going'... Like a bloody carrot on the stick! I was a donkey all right for way too long. Only thing for me left to do, was to step out of me donkey suit & stop "eeehing & aaahing" & get real, come back down to planet earth & create my own little niche here with what I have, know & what I learned. It's not that bad really...a nicely accumulated 'back log' of plenty of ups n' downs, being round the block a few times & being punched more often in my face than I care to remember. Oh well...I guess that makes me 'well-equipped'...

It's quite comforting to know I am the master of my own ship (no cruise necessary thank you very much!), I call the shots & if I don't like it, I walk away, or better yet, I call their bluff.

That way, I at least can 'steer' my path with my own compass & thus have a much more "here&now" sense of reality & it's in my hands of what I'm going to get.

Being in control as the grown ups we strive to be, in a world that would have us believe the opposite (& which, as a result, makes it so easy game for BS merchants to pull the out wads of cash of our pockets & our souls as an 'extra side-dish' to go along) is what makes all the difference, says "guilty as charged" (that'd be little me!).

Congratulations for coming out of this stronger. I hope the new year will bring you all still more clarity, sense of direction & purpose to you than the year you leave behind.

Re: A-H (Enough) - XYTHOS
Posted by: Harleygal ()
Date: December 19, 2008 03:46AM

XYTHOS: Greetings and thank you for responding. I have read and re-read your post and I thank you for posting! I am proud that I am away from the now ex-husband and like you stated 'have carved out my own path'. I know when the children were younger we (the ex-husband and I) preached to them as being leaders not a follower, so when the ex-husband became a follower I thought, wow, this goes against all of our beliefs and what we have taught the children? And, and the childish sense of entitlement!! What a scary world this would be if we "all" felt we deserved that sense of entitlement?

Being a grown up comes with all kinds of rewards, but we work for those rewards, we aren't instantly 'entitled' to those rewards, we work hard to achieve that and work hard to teach that to the children. It isn't a free ride, or ask and it is given, crap. I then ask, how do we teach the children if the adult is the child? Hmmm...

I like that "I" steer my own path, I am responsible for me and I have taught my children good morals!! I have taught them how to be a stronger person, show respect for themselves and stand up for themselves due in part because of A-H and what it did to the destruction of our family... Oh don't get me wrong, these were strong moral teachings from birth, but them watching the followers of A-H, oh yeah, they know right from wrong and know what it looks like to be a 'follower'.

Thanks for the congrats on coming out of this stronger. My next step is to embrace 2009 as the start to a new and great life. Because I have earned that right! Anyone affected by A-H has earned that right!!!

Posted by: June Piggott ()
Date: March 25, 2009 12:13AM

Has anyone compared the work of Abraham with the Neale Donald Walsch book "Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue"? What is your assessment?

Re: NY TIMES validates Jerry Hicks was involved with Amway and Circus!
Posted by: questioner ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:48AM

The Hickses spend most of the year traveling the country, leading workshops based on the teachings they say Abraham has given them. They record the workshops and have 10,000 subscribers, who pay up to $50 a month for CDs and DVDs of Abraham’s wisdom.

Just up to $50 a month for CDs? I was a member of their CD club and ended up spending a few hundred every month, I had to cancel because it was getting too expensive for me.

I agree their books are ALL the same. If you have read one, you have read them all. There is no difference except they occasionally use different words (they used to call the flow of life floating downstream & resistance is paddling upstream. Now they call being in the flow being in "The Vortex" and there's a new book about the "vortex" but it's exactly the same as all the other books.

Posted by: questioner ()
Date: October 19, 2009 10:18AM

Some of the information is useful & motivational. The problem I have with Abraham-Hicks is that they say the information is coming from a being, from "source" or God. That makes people who follow them believe everything they say. But I notice that Esther doesn't always know the answer to a question. People say, "oh but she never stops talking, it flows so well, it must be coming from source" but if you were saying the same thing over and over again for over 20 years it would flow out of your mouth pretty easily also.
There are lots of times when Esther has to reach for words or doesn't understand a question and either has to repeat the question or ask the questioner to repeat the question (for humans, this is how people give themselves time to come up with an answer). If this being was really from source, the answers would be more than they are. There would be more specific information. The way it is now the information is glazed-over. They have come up with an idea and they just repeat the same answer with a slightly different spin for every question.
Try asking Esther (while channeling Abraham) the square root of 2685.5 and see how long it takes to come up with an answer. If this being is from source and has access to All That Is, as they say they do, simple questions like these should be answered easily.

I heard an exchange where a questioner asked about the face on Mars and wanted to know if aliens really created it. Esther/Abraham didn't know what the guy was talking about. If Abraham is really source they would know the answer to that.

Current Page: 11 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.