Amway - personality change for the worst.
Posted by: Lorraine ()
Date: August 20, 2002 05:49AM

I have concerns regarding my sister, she has been involved in Amway for 3 years. She has gone through quite a personality and is now arrogant, argumentative & is basically not facing reality!
She thinks she is now the big independent business woman & everyone else outside "the business" knows nothing.

I try to avoid her now and let her get on within her own "Amway world" But it hurts me because she is now so far out of reality and the real world that she has pushed me & my family away.

I was wondering if there are other people out there who have family members caught up in the 'Amway web' & feel the same way? or perhaps they might know of some remedies? Please, I want my sister back!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 20, 2002 07:40AM

Yes, there are many families struggling with Amway problems regarding loved ones. I have received many complaints.

See the following links:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.mlmsurvivor.com]

[www.vandruff.com]

I am very sorry to hear of your situation.

Posted by: brian ()
Date: September 03, 2002 07:29AM

I was involved with Amway through a room mate way back in the mid 1980's. Right off it reminded me of Scientology with an evangelical twist. They preached alot about Jesus and making money. The first red flag was the "it will only take 5-10 hrs a week" line. I remember adding up the numbers of meetings and it was well over 10 hrs a week.

I bought one of their kits, but could never bring myself to ask any of my friends. I would find myself saying "Hey want a great buisness oportunity" to some friend, then I would tell them, nevermind Im not sure about it. It was rather a toss up because I wanted to support my roomate. I went to one of their sales crusades, everyone had a suit on but me. The night of the first day there was this dance with people spraying their mouth freshioners in the air and telling their boss to kiss their fanny.

I liked my boss so I had to leave with all good contouns. They kept going on about how much money you could make and so on. Then they went on about Jesus, more money, I left and went in the parking lot. Outside I saw these young kids, 18 0r 19 making schemes about sales getting ahead and so on. It reminded me of church (thats another post).

The Sunday they had a "Church service" talked alot about hell, getting born again, and sales strategies. Not to much longer after that we had a group of them over to the house we lived in. 18 or so young men all dressed in suits and using mouth freshioner.

My friend got out of the buisness a year or so after that. I felt bad for him as it was his deep desire to succeed. It was a constant chant at our church to succeed as well. Be a good Christian, make money, be efficiant, overcome, deal with it. The 80's were full of that stuff.

People's personalities do change quickly in such pressure. People become very angry and want conflict. The first sign is when they dont want to listen to another view of "truth". That is where the red flags go off for me now.

I wish you the best. I hope your sister sees that family is worth far more then success, Peace be with you.

Posted by: mediamoogle ()
Date: September 17, 2002 01:09AM

I have a similar story. A close friend who I used to work with got involved in Pre-Paid Legal. He claimed he was making tons of money and out of trust, I joined. I figured with my education in Corporate Communication I could make some money selling 'legal insurance' and help him make money as his downline.

Then I realized that much if not most of wha I had been told was spin. The motivational speaker had mislead us. We were told PPL had a 70% retention rate, when in fact, 50% of the people who buythe service cancel within a year, leaviong the associate to pay a portion of his advanced comission back to the company. I dropped out before selling this joke to anyone.

The motivatinal speakers are awesome I'll grant them that. between the monthly meetings my friends go to, the service, and their "website," they each pay $106/month to the company. Now that they've sold the service to all of their friends and family, theyre stuck trying to sell it to a cold market (and aren't being very successful). They still seem to think that they'll be rich in a couple of years.

I also came to find out that one of the Pre-Paid Legal speakers they look up to is Sheri Sharmin, who helped found and was one of the top sellers for Equinox, which got shut down in 95 by the FTC as it was declared an Illegal Pyramid.

I have since created a website regarding Pre-Paid Legal in hopes that i may halp others make a more informed decision before paying money to join the PPL "opportunity."

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: October 12, 2002 12:42AM

A number of years ago, A.L. Williams has a scheme as a so-called cheaper way of paying off your mortgage, etc.. They claimed you saved hundreds of thousands of dollars on an average mortage by paying off you're mortgage twice a month. the truth is you didn't save one penny according to the Net Present Value theory of how money multiplies. As I have a Master's in Management and an undergraduate degree in Business too, I studied all of this in college.
Also, people found they couldn't pay the money and defaulted on the loans. Where's the company today?

Posted by: jumpmaster ()
Date: August 14, 2003 07:27AM

Well a Master degree and a Business degree. Are you a mortgage officer?

Let me enlighten you to the facts. I PAY bi-weekly on my mortgage and it will take seven years off of my total mortgage. It does work!!! Paying it bi-weekly.

If you do not believe me I will offer you my mortgage officer's number and name. You can contact him and he can fax you the amortization schedule.

Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: August 16, 2003 02:47AM

jumpmaster
Well a Master degree and a Business degree. Are you a mortgage officer?

Let me enlighten you to the facts. I PAY bi-weekly on my mortgage and it will take seven years off of my total mortgage. It does work!!! Paying it bi-weekly.

If you do not believe me I will offer you my mortgage officer's number and name. You can contact him and he can fax you the amortization schedule.

I'm familiar with the math as I took courses in it in school and did financial analysis for AT&T. The problem is that many times people default on those loans. AL Williams isn't around anymore as far as I know.
Also, according to the strict Net Present Value theory of money and how compounded interest works you should be indifferent as to how you pay off loans that have the same NPV. This does not take tax breaks into effect as that would complicate the model, but any MBA level text in finance would cover this.

Posted by: FREDFREITAS ()
Date: July 22, 2004 12:44PM

MY DEAR,

MANY FRIENDS AND RELATIVES IN BRAZIL HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN AMWAY.

THEY ARE BECAME LUNATIC PEOPLE.

I AGREE WITH YOU...

Lorraine
I have concerns regarding my sister, she has been involved in Amway for 3 years. She has gone through quite a personality and is now arrogant, argumentative & is basically not facing reality!
She thinks she is now the big independent business woman & everyone else outside "the business" knows nothing.

I try to avoid her now and let her get on within her own "Amway world" But it hurts me because she is now so far out of reality and the real world that she has pushed me & my family away.

I was wondering if there are other people out there who have family members caught up in the 'Amway web' & feel the same way? or perhaps they might know of some remedies? Please, I want my sister back!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.