Amway Ate My Sensei
Posted by: number6 ()
Date: August 29, 2002 06:08AM

In the mid-80s, my then-girlfriend and I became involved in a martial art, which was taught for free by a middle-aged couple. Let me say that the art I study is [i:7ca4401e94] not [/i:7ca4401e94] generally cultic but has been very beneficial to me. Our instructors were very gracious people, constantly opening their large home to students for parties and extra training.

Then, Sensei became aware that I was about to receive an insurance settlement and was concerned about investment. He told me that he and his wife had just found a "better way." Since I liked and respected them, I listened. Of course, it turned out to be the usual Amway spiel. To make Sensei feel better and because culture fascinates me, I attended a couple of big meetings. Even ran into a former colleague who had turned into a newly-minted Ambot! I was shaken by the conformity and sexism I saw, and Sensei was a bit disappointed that the meetings didn't "fire me up."

Things went about the same after that. I continued in the art while my lady friend dropped out. Then, work and school called me away for some time. (It was common in that dojo for students to take a hiatus). When I returned, Sensei welcomed me, but he had changed considerably. He now rarely called on me to demonstrate a technique, though I was often the senior student present. I received no more personal instruction during class. There were snide little remarks about "obstinacy." Finally I was taken aside and basically told that the dojo had nothing more for me. So I was pretty much drummed out because I didn't want to sell soap!

I later heard that this couple had become so obsessed with Amway that they left the art they had practiced for so long. That's a casualty of MLM that doesn't get talked about—people who can make a difference in their field instead being sucked into these worthless schemes. I've now returned to my art once again, and I've found a dojo I can trust—where no one is selling anything!

Options: ReplyQuote
Amway Ate My Sensei
Posted by: jumpmaster ()
Date: August 15, 2003 06:28AM

That is a shame what happened to you. I sometimes question folks abilities to distinguish between the good things they do and the good things they do.
Often people place emphasis on things in their life and take away from other crucial areas too. It appears so in this case. Perhaps some of the negative I encounter with the former Amway members is because they are envolved with an upline like this.
I feel that my real estate business is important. I traditionally help lower income families find homes despite the fact that I do not get a BIG paycheck or commission from the deal. When I become involved again with Amway I don't forsee myself removing that focus even though I am "in the business".
A lot of the misguiding is do to people's inability to make rational and intelligent decisions for their own good. I remember hearing "counsel upline". If it concerns the Amway business, sure, if it concerns marriage, family issues, or in your case, teaching students an art who ARE NOT in your line of sponsorship...well perhaps the upline is not who should make those decisions.

Amway Ate My Sensei
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 15, 2003 06:17PM

Anyone interested in Amway should carefully research the facts first before becoming involved or even attending a introductory meeting.

Amway has a deeply troubled history of lawsuits, bad press and complaints. And very few of its distributors make much money.

See the following:

[www.culteducation.com]

[members.tripod.com]

To better understand why many multi level marketing schemes don't work very well.

See [www.vandruff.com]

Many of these programs seem to use coercive persuasion techniques within meetings, conferences and a kind of subculture they develop to recruit and retain members.

See [www.culteducation.com]

In this sense many families and former members have observed that some multi level groups often seem "cult like."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.