Amway
Posted by: TomCat ()
Date: March 01, 2003 05:45AM

I've read where some people have accused Amway of being like a cult. What's the story here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Amway
Posted by: jamesyeow ()
Date: March 03, 2003 11:15AM

Yep, Amway has a great cult following but as you know, their products are very expensive (because they need to keep those millionaires up at the top of the pyramid).

Amway
Posted by: jamesyeow ()
Date: March 03, 2003 11:29AM

I have a problem with companies that charge exhorbitant entry fees, high sales targets, expensive products, and make millionaires from the hard work of their downlines.:)

Amway
Date: March 03, 2003 07:35PM

But what is it about Amway that makes it a "cult."

Amway
Posted by: acacias1 ()
Date: March 04, 2003 12:58AM

You'll find that in addition to cult-like activities of trying to have all Amway distributors think along the same lines, attend so many functions and buy so many tapes that they feel enslaved to the 'business' and subscribe to Amvox where they get "inspirational messages", Amway also sees to it that their "uplines" influence their "downlines" as far as political views(conservative right) and religious tenents (Christian). Technically, Amway is just a multi-level marketing company; however their influence on their distributors' lives is far more than that of a mainstream American company, and seemingly cultish.

Amway
Posted by: Claire ()
Date: March 05, 2003 02:08PM

Besides taking advantage of a person financially, Amway operates like most cults. If a family member doesn't support Amway, they are told to cut them out like a cancer, so people have cut ties to family. A person's upline is a sort of spiritual leader. Most of the money made in amway and other MLM's is not made by selling products but by selling members - i.e., training materials, seminars, products to build "their" business. The meetings are just like a worship service, filled with hypnotic suggestions and mind control practices. The form of Christianity practiced is pseudo and would probably fit in with the Health & Wealth or Name it Claim it gospel. They also practice a Moonie-like heavenly deception where they don't tell a person they are going to an Amway meeting.

Amway
Date: March 05, 2003 07:33PM

These young people who go door to door trying to sell subscriptions to various magazines. I understand it's much the same way whith this.

Amway
Posted by: jumpmaster ()
Date: August 14, 2003 07:18AM

Wow. A lot of interesting replys. I especially like the "cutting the family ties" remark. Listen, I am a real estate agent, if my father buys or sells a house through another realtor I'll "cut" the tie too. That would be stupid on his part. Amway is no different.

As for the conservative view - well it's the smart option.

As for the Christian view - at least they have something to shoot for.

"exhorbitant entry fees"
- Entry fee into real estate = $4268.17 was my total bill when I was done with school, fees, associations, etc - plus over $500 monthly in JUST business expenses
- Entry fee into Amway (1990's) = $100 monthly cost of books tapes meetings etc = $100
Hmmmmm? Let me ponder those numbers.....

"make millionaires from the hard work of their downlines" & "they need to keep those millionaires up at the top of the pyramid"

The "upline" IS a downline and started at the bottom too. They worked hard to get where they are. You didn't, you couldn't so you blame them...I understand, typical liberal thinking.

The pyramid! HA! You can make more than your sponsor any day of the week if you choose to put the work and effort in to doing it. When I was in the US Army I could not be the top officer or enlisted person in my company until the one that was there died, retired, or quit. THAT is a pyramid, sport. The person there makes more money, makes the decisions, and runs the show becuase no one can replace him/her until they move.

Amway offers you NO guarantees - you make out of it what you will.

I used to think along the lines you folks did when I was in Amway back in the 90's and quit. Blame them! Those darn sponsors and that darn upline. It's their fault! Now that I have matured a little, started my own "real" businesses, and spent time learning the ways of life I can see that that opportunity was a good one. I fully support those folks in what they do and cannot wait to find someone to sign me back up!

Amway
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 15, 2003 06:24PM

It seems that some people involved in multi level marketing schemes can rationalize almost anything.

But anyone interested in Amway should carefully research the facts first before becoming involved or even attending a introductory meeting.

Amway has a deeply troubled history of lawsuits, bad press and complaints. And very few of its distributors make much money.

See the following:

[www.culteducation.com]

[members.tripod.com]

To better understand why many multi level marketing schemes don't work very well.

See [www.vandruff.com]

Many of these programs seem to use coercive persuasion techniques within meetings, conferences and a kind of subculture they develop to recruit and retain members.

See [www.culteducation.com]

In this sense many families and former members have observed that some multi level groups often seem "cult like."

Amway
Posted by: jumpmaster ()
Date: August 16, 2003 02:00AM

It's still a rational, logical, reasonable, and common sense reply. My reply that is-
Of course you'll make excuses. You'll say things like that all day long. "You could sell an ice cream to an eskimo", "You're brainwashed with responses" on and on and on.

As for the lawsuits and the bad press and the complaints. Everything gets that. My real estate company has had lawsuits, and bad press, and complaints. All from people who felt they got screwed over. Did they, everytime? Maybe some were agents at fault others were clients at fault. life happens. Deal with and get off your soap box.

You still offer nothing other than your opinion, or some story about how somebody got sued. Mcdonalds got sued over hot coffee. Another example of stupidity on the CLIENTS not the Corp. But people still buy McDonald Franchises.

Listen, my point is this...aside from the bashing or the look at this conisider that...Why do all of you hit it so hard. From bad experience? Trying to do your part to save mankind?

I see that by my visiting various forums like this all you do is counteract anything that is said positive about Amway. Basically my visits and my posts are not important at all. Quite frankly a waste of time. I'm sorry some of you were hurt or mislead or lost money. Stop crying and move on. As for me, enjoy your rebuttals and replies - i am done here. Not running from here in the face of fear - but you can't make a horse drink the water after you take him to it.

Good luck to all of you in your various quests for information and dissimination.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.