Can log into this forum but not Cult News Network
Posted by: betaalpha ()
Date: April 21, 2008 02:47PM

Hi folks. I've been a regular reader of Cult News Network and been moved to post comments on many occasions. However, while I can log into this forum I can't log into or post comments at Cult News Network's website. I emailed the site and Rick kindly pointed me to this board, where I discovered I could log into this forum fine. I still cannot, however, log into CultNN.

I use Firefox on a Linux Ubuntu OS. I have registered (it was a while ago so I can't remember if I registered first at CultNN or on this forum, or both. Nonetheless I can't register again on CultNN). If I request at the CultNN site to email me my login details it does so and my login details look fine. Nontheless, whenever I try to login to the Members section it bounces me back to the login screen. If I send a comment to an article the site comes back saying my account has not been approved.

Hayelp!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can log into this forum but not Cult News Network
Posted by: zenon ()
Date: April 23, 2008 11:08AM

...while I can log into this forum I can't log into or post comments at Cult News Network's website...
They are two completely separate websites, with separate accounts and authentication systems.

I use Firefox on a Linux Ubuntu OS. I have registered (it was a while ago so I can't remember if I registered first at CultNN or on this forum, or both. Nonetheless I can't register again on CultNN). If I request at the CultNN site to email me my login details it does so and my login details look fine. Nontheless, whenever I try to login to the Members section it bounces me back to the login screen.
Weird. I can see you in the cultnews.net user database, but you appear as registered but not confirmed.

If I send a comment to an article the site comes back saying my account has not been approved.
Did you get the confirmation mail from cultnews.net and click the link in it when you registered back in September? Have you ever logged in and posted a link or a comment there successfully? If not, not having confirmed your account was the cause of your problems. If you did, then something put you back to non-confirmed status. I didn't and the system didn't either, so there is only one suspect left.

It is the nature and the duty of a sysadmin to not trust anything and anybody, so I'm not going to bypass e-mail confirmation and enable your account. Then again, that's easily solved; check your mail. As for the possibility of Rick having disabled your account, if that happened it was most likely accidental and if it wasn't he can disable it again.

Z

Date: April 23, 2008 08:20PM

Truth be told I can't remember if I saw and returned the confirmation email. I don't see it in my old email either. It is possible it was caught by my spam filter and later deleted along with multiple emails headed Szexxuall77y Exshplagliicit, in which case it's my bad and I apologise.

It's not the end of the world if I can't get this email account working; I can use another one if that's easier for you. But thanks for your help Zenon.

Posted by: zenon ()
Date: April 24, 2008 02:51AM

Once you replied to my mail, I enabled your account. That was the confirmation, so there's no need for you to create a new account; everything should work fine now.

Z

Date: April 24, 2008 05:21AM

Brill, thanks again Zenon.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 23?
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.