Long delay for PM recipient list to appear
Posted by: zenon ()
Date: November 08, 2007 10:48AM

Received by e-mail and posted anonymized by the sysadmin:

... posting a message, I had an awesome wait for the name list to be able to scroll, and could not just enter the name [of the recipient], and go straight to it. I know this may be due to a slow computer, but nothing else is anywhere near that slow.
I found, eventually, that person's message box was full.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long delay for PM recipient list to appear
Posted by: zenon ()
Date: November 08, 2007 11:04AM

The delay is indeed long, but inevitable. There are almost 30.000 registered users on thsi board. This means that 30.000 user names have to be pulled from the database on the server and then get downloaded to your computer before the list will appear and you can scroll it. It's bad, but right now we all have to live with it.

At least 60% of those 30.000 registered users are spammers who only registered so they could spam the board. They did so, then got banned and went away, leaving behind a huge and useless user database. I plan to clean it sometime in the near future and delete all users who registered longer ago than three months and never made an approved posting. When I get around to it, that user list will shrink considerably and will load much faster. In the meanwhile, please have patience.

found, eventually, that person's message box was full.
Many people ended up with full mailboxes after the migration to the new board software a while back. There's a thread in this forum that explains why this happened and how to address the problem. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about someone else's mailbox being full; only about your own.

Z

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 12?
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator
This forum powered by Phorum.