PsychoHeresy Awareness Ministries
Posted by: tommylove ()
Date: February 23, 2003 12:13PM

Martin & Deidre Bobgan

This movement has the classic markings of an extremely destructive cult.
Extreme black and white views.
Cutting people off from society.
Against all forms counseling and help with personal problems except for the them.
For instance forbidding the use of the 12steaps program.
The condemnation and forbidding of all forms of counseling.
For instance marital counseling.
They have the only truth and all others are wrong and should be dissociated with.
They isolate and paralyze people.
They also encourage hate
Hate for psychologist
Hate for gays
Hate for Catholics
Etc Etc...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: acacias1 ()
Date: February 25, 2003 11:24PM

tommy, where are these people based (and what is up with that name???)

Posted by: tommylove ()
Date: February 28, 2003 03:06AM

They are located in Santa Barbara, CA.
PsychoHeresy is very catchy phrase.
They really hate psychologist.
They would burn them at the stake if they could get away with it.
But worse they cut people off from all other options in life.
This strain of thought is common in the more extreme fundamentalist churches.
It is spreading unchecked.
I have seen first hand people destroyed by this kind of ministry.
You could say the Bobgans are ethically ruthless.
The means justifies the ends (their religious dogma - hatred for psychology and counseling)

Posted by: acacias1 ()
Date: March 01, 2003 04:22AM

u know, the scientologists are totally opposed to psychology too....anything that can give logical explanations to refute their dogma....................

Posted by: Claire ()
Date: March 01, 2003 03:16PM

I would disagree with the above assessment of Martin and Diedre Bobgan and Psychoheresy Awareness Ministries. They do very careful research, exposing the many abuses of psychology such as recovered memories. One of the recommended books is Tina Dineen's "Manufacturing Victims." They also point out that 12 step groups are often cult-like and there is no empirical evidence that they are helpful. The site is aimed at Christians, explaining that much of the teaching of modern psychology is at odds with the biblical view of man and how to solve problems, and also lacking empirical support as to benefit. The criticism is of those who claim that the two can exist comfortably together. Interesting, I recently read an article in the New York Times magazine about how trauma victims who undergo "therapy" do worse in the long term than those who don't.

Posted by: ginger ()
Date: March 02, 2003 11:33AM

We are having a problem in a very small town near LaPorte Co. with what I beleive is a Christian Identity Church. It is difficult to deal with as some of my friends and neighbors who I care about attend the services. The first time I knew something was up was when to introduce us to church doctrine a screen showed some film and underneath it explained something about the British Isreal movement. I like religion, and I am almost always intrested so, I asked the usher what that expression meant. He explained that when I was a member or more involved in the church, I would understand it. They really have a very superior attitude. Later another friend took her sons wife to church and they came out with the word "bigotry". Its a very scary thing to a small town, because you love your friends, like they are family. It is hard because you don't want to offend your friends, but you would like them to be watchful.

Posted by: Claire ()
Date: March 03, 2003 01:29AM

British Israelism is the belief that the British are the 10 lost tribes of Israel. The doctrine has various expressions, some are antisemitic and others are not. I would be wary about any church that is not open about its beliefs, most have a statement of faith and list any organizations they are affliiated with. If the group is bigoted, they will probably justify their hatred of Blacks with the son's of Ham doctrine. There is a book entitled "One Blood" by Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis, [www.answersingenesis.org] that refutes this belief both scientifically and biblically and explains that there is only one race, the human race. There is another doctrine called the serpent seed doctrine, which states that Jews are the descendents of Eve and the serpent, which you will probably find in this church. I can go through my materials and find some helpful information for you and I am sure the moderator has links to materials that may help you understand and explain these beliefs to your friends. I would not argue with them, just present them with some materials and ask them what they think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.