Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Eastgate Church, Georgia (David Houtsma & Roger Houtsma) Warning!
Date: February 22, 2011 03:13AM

Warning! Northside Family Worship Center in Cumming Georgia is now called Eastgate Church [www.eastgatechurch.org]. My concern is Roger and David continue to try and distance themselves from a long history of church problems. As a 15 year member of their church in Novato - Marin Christian Life Church - I witnessed first hand the destruction their leadership and doctrine had on people's lives. During my time at their church, there were several significant church splits. These splits were not just a few disgruntled members leaving over doctrinal differences, but associate pastors, board members and key church leaders leaving.

Here's a brief list of church splits I witnessed and my perspective of the key issues:
1987 Associate Pastor Mike Horn and large group of congregants leave. Issues: unsure as I was not connected to this group of people.

1989 Key members and financial contributors Tripp & Barbara Curtis leave. Issues: alleged impropriety by one of Roger Houtsma's sons, false doctrine, and nepotism.

1992 Ron Enroth's Churches that Abuse book (read online for free: [www.ccel.us]) comes out and causes huge uproar in the church as an anonymous couple name Marin Christian Life as a destructive church in chapter 4. Several sermons, prophecies, and prayer meetings are aimed at "walking in the light" and how God doesn't recognize "anonymous" because they can't walk in the light. Book is dismissed and alleged sources slandered for their part in the book.

1995 Associate Pastor David Mackay and a large group of congregants leave. Note: Pastor David was a very well loved pastor. He was co-pastor with Roger and traveled overseas to participate in many of Roger's "crusades." Issues: Roger Houtsma's leadership, control, narcissism, and nepotism.

1999 Long time board members, financial contributors, and World Outreach Crusade Directors Peter Omran & Troy Taylor leave along with a large group of congregants. Issues: Financial impropriety, false doctrine, plagiarism, and nepotism.

2001 Largest church split ever and several hundred people leave over the course of a year including associate pastors, worship leader, choir director, and the bookeeper for both the church and Roger Houtsma's World Outreach Ministry. Issues: immorality, financial impropriety, false doctrine, and nepotism. This split was the result of allegations Roger's son Nathan, the pastor of King of Kings Church in Chico, CA was involved with a 17 year old girl. He was married at the time. There was an investigation into the extent of the involvement with the minor, but no charges were ever brought. The Assemblies of God investigated, but certain ministers let their credentials lapse so no disciplinary action was able to be brought. During this same time, the bookeeper also presented a long list of financial allegations to the church board and the Assemblies of God. Roger Houtsma, David Houtsma, and Greg Mervich (the Christian Life School Principal) all received large severance packages and moved to Georgia with their families and a small number of board members and congregants. The church in Chico eventually closed its doors.

I bring this history to light because its important to understand where church leaders come from and what they have left behind. Anyone currently or considering involvement at Eastgate should review this history carefully. The "fruit" or results of the Houtsma's ministry/leadership has been a long history of splits, divisions, fleeing co-pastors, congregants and key leaders, and closed ministries.

Another concern I have is with regards to this specific name change. One of the Houtsma's core teachings was around the glory of God and how God would raise an end time generation (Elijah Company / Tithe Company) who would usher in God's glory. Eastgate states on their home page that this new name comes from Ezekiel 43:4 "The LORD's glory came into the temple through the east gate" (God's Word Translation 1995). In a recent blog post by Senior Pastor, David Houtsma he writes "OK, I admit it. I have a vision to be the most influential church on the block....." [activerain.com]. While God's glory and "being the most influential church on the block" sound enticing to Christians who want to live a radical life and change the world, these emphasis stem from heretical doctrine and often lead to control, manipulation, and unhealthy community. Please see Roger Houtsma's personal view on the Latter Rain movement here: [www.rhwo.org]. Even though the Assemblies of God denounced it as a heretical move, Roger never does the same. He espouses the awesome nature of this "revival" and attributes any problems to leaders without character.

I hope this will help anyone currently attending or considering attendance at Eastgate church in Cumming Georgia.

Northside Family Worship Center has been previously covered in a topic here: [forum.culteducation.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eastgate Church, Georgia (David Houtsma & Roger Houtsma) Warning!
Posted by: fredjackson ()
Date: March 04, 2011 12:05AM

I attend this Church. In the current Church I don't see these things going on. it is a wonderful Church and I enjoy going.

Posted by: just4life ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:17AM

It is a sad day when I would think, a fellow Christian has such bitterness and at a guess un-forgiveness in their hearts to degrade fellow believers.

Just a few scriptures for your reading pleasure..... Matt 7 1-5 and John 8.

We have attended Eastgate Church on and off and this is what I have seen with my own eyes.
1. People in true worship, praising our Lord Jesus Christ
2. Healing, family reconciliation.
3. A message for today, preached by David.
4. Salvations, people turning to the Lord in repentance and are now set free..

My friend if you don't agree with those 4 simple steps that is happening at Eastgate, then you are in need of our prayers.

Barry

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:32AM

Fredjackson and just4life:

Does Eastgate Church have a democratically elected church government according to its bylaws, which provides for an elected board that serves fixed terms?

If so does the board set the budget, control finances and can it fire staff, such as pastors?

Is there an annual budget published that discloses in detail how the church funds are spent, e.g. salaries, compensation and expenses?

Date: March 13, 2011 10:47AM

just4life,

I believe you mistake what is actually a very factual listing of events for bitterness and unforgiveness. I would guess that freefromcharismania's motive in posting was very similar to mine-- to help others avoid the same pain (and yes, trauma) that we have both suffered as a result of these pastors. Does that mean I don't forgive them? Not at all. Look at it this way. If there is a serial killer running around killing people and he kills one of your family members, you can forgive him. However, that doesn't mean you want him to continue to run around hurting others. You would warn people if you saw him getting close. Now, I am not at all saying that the Houtsmas are serial killers. They are not. Still, they have inflicted pain on many people (maybe unintentionally at times). When I see the same thing continuing to happen, I want to warn others. I wish I had been forewarned. That doesn't mean that I wish anything bad for the Houtsmas. I am not judging their motivations or their hearts, and if you read freefromcharismania's post, you'll notice that he or she doesn't do that either. Ultimately, that's between the Houtsmas and God.

I feel compassion for you because I would have responded exactly the same way when I was involved with the church. I did not see what was going on behind the scenes. I wish I knew what to say to you that would help, but I think that anything I say will just reinforce your position of "defense against attack." Maybe being in the church won't be a negative experience for you. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Houtsmas have totally changed. I hope that's the case. But if that's not the case, and one day you realize that the walls are closing in and things are not the way they seemed, I hope that you remember that God is bigger than Eastgate Church....and that you can find God even without the Houtsmas. (Check out Acts 17:27-28.)

Date: March 14, 2011 11:13PM

recoveringfromchurch I think just4life may have been defense of his church. It is good that we can have an open discussion. I deal with people for a living and am pretty good at spotting a bad seed. I whole heartly belive that the Houtsmas are good people. I have read all the post of yourself and freefromcharismania have posted. I am truly sorry for your past experiences and hurts. It is bad when you have been hurt in a place where most people come to get comfort.

Posted by: TPerkins ()
Date: June 19, 2011 09:27AM

I have attended this church for years and find not only Christ-centered leaders, but the supernatural in healing. My family is blessed by our participation. I read bitterness and resentment in these "informational" posts and find great contrast with the Christ who reached for reconciliation.
My family benefits from the teaching & support of the NFWC/Eastgate/Houtsma ministry. Seems clear these detractors never attended and I suspect their pastor is not aware of their online "tear it down" activity.

Posted by: ThePetitor ()
Date: June 23, 2011 07:40PM

Friends,

I know nothing about this church, so cannot comment on what goes on. I have been involved in another church which did cause a great deal of hurt however, so I am interested in church experiences and how they can go wrong.

What I find interesting is some of the comments here. There is much I agree with from both sides, but there are bits that worry me. For example, “fellow Christian has such bitterness…” really? How do you know the reasons behind a comment? I see this as quite worrying – not considering a comment on its merit, but questioning the motivation.

“Maybe being in the church won't be a negative experience for you. Maybe I'm wrong.” That seems to me to be a more humble and Christian attitude. Presenting evidence and letting people judge for themselves.

“It is good that we can have an open discussion.” Great! That also seems the right attitude to me.

“I whole heartedly believe that the Houtsmas are good people.” No, no, no. Scripture NEVER suggests that we decide whether people are “good people” then blindly accept what they say or do. We are always asked to judge each individual action on its own merits. David was a good person, but he committed adultery and murder. Peter was an apostle and leader of the church, but Paul stood against him and criticised him. Jesus himself said, “get thee behind me satan” to Peter, the rock on which He would build His Church. Whether people are “good people” or not is NOT a scriptural test, or indeed a sensible test in any other forum.

“I read bitterness and resentment in these ‘informational" posts’ ” Another assumption, criticising the individuals making the comments instead of the content of the comments.

“My family benefits from the teaching & support”. Great, but does that make the leaders perfect and above criticism? If not, how is this statement relevant? Even if true (and I have no reason to think otherwise) should any accusations not be investigated?

So, in conclusion, I know nothing about this church or the individuals, and have no idea whether what is said is true or not. What I do see however is that those defending this church attack the people making the comments rather than looking at the issues, and suggest that the leaders being “good people” or families “benefiting from the teaching and support” are good reasons not to allow any criticism or investigation of concerns. Whatever else is happening, an inability to consider the actual issues is a very worrying sign.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 23, 2011 08:52PM

To whom it may concern:

TPerkins has been banned from this message board.

Personal attacks directed at members of this message board are against the agreed upon rules.

Date: July 08, 2011 12:59AM

No one is perfect. Regardless Pastor or not. I have great relationships with some people and other people don't have a good relationship with. I have read some comments on other sites on people I know personally that people have attacked out of spite. The Houtsma's have always been straight shooters with me. Maybe with other people...not. I am just stating my personal situation and what I have obsereved. I am thankful for websites like this so you can get other view points and expereiences of others.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.