Current Page: 2 of 4
Is LDS church harmful?
Posted by: chansmom ()
Date: August 05, 2005 12:36PM

I have a friend who is a recovering Mormon. She frequents a site called www.exmormon.org I had a look at it. Interesting, and they all seem like very nice people. Rickross.com also has excellent information too.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Is LDS church harmful?
Posted by: Buzz_Kill ()
Date: October 08, 2005 08:41AM

Here are some resorces you might want to look at.

[www.utlm.org]

[www.saintsalive.com]

Is LDS church harmful?
Posted by: gapeach1 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 05:00AM

My first question is, why the disbelief in church? What made you not want to believe in the church? Second, how interested are you to hear truth about Jesus Christ? I myself used to be a Mormon. There are many lies within the church, but I found that Jesus saves, and it is him who can show you truth. Outside of that there is just disbelief without hope of ever knowing THE TRUTH, Jesus Christ.

Is LDS church harmful?
Posted by: Demon of Kolob ()
Date: June 01, 2006 05:09AM

Jon, Leave or stay is tough decision Stay and your kids may possibly be harmed by the church. Leave and your marriage may breakup.
It is good to check out www.exmormon.org many most people posting there are or were in the same situation as you. What ever you keep your sons from going on a mission.The LDS mission is LDS cult abuse at it's worst, A decade and much counselling later, I still bear many scars from my mission.

Is LDS church harmful?
Posted by: elena ()
Date: June 01, 2006 10:26AM

Demon of Kolob
Jon, Leave or stay is tough decision Stay and your kids may possibly be harmed by the church. Leave and your marriage may breakup.
It is good to check out www.exmormon.org many most people posting there are or were in the same situation as you. What ever you keep your sons from going on a mission.The LDS mission is LDS cult abuse at it's worst, A decade and much counselling later, I still bear many scars from my mission.

Thanks for writing. You probably already know better than any of us but sending young men out on "missions" is one of the cruelest and most exploitive things any religion does. The ones in charge know full well that this practice cements the doctrine into the minds of those young men who spend hours and hours defending it to potential converts. Also, the dim realization that they may have participated in bringing harm to those they have converted keeps many men from acknowledging the abuse to themselves. Many of us cannot bear to think we've done something bad to people and religions like the Mormon Church use this essential goodness against people to keep them devout, steadfast, and paying their tithes over a lifetime.

Ellen

Is LDS church harmful?
Posted by: passerby ()
Date: July 10, 2006 11:17PM

elena
Demon of Kolob

Thanks for writing. You probably already know better than any of us but sending young men out on "missions" is one of the cruelest and most exploitive things any religion does. The ones in charge know full well that this practice cements the doctrine into the minds of those young men who spend hours and hours defending it to potential converts. Also, the dim realization that they may have participated in bringing harm to those they have converted keeps many men from acknowledging the abuse to themselves. Many of us cannot bear to think we've done something bad to people and religions like the Mormon Church use this essential goodness against people to keep them devout, steadfast, and paying their tithes over a lifetime.

Ellen

As one who went on a mission, I didn't find it cruel or exploitative. Come on, people, don't you believe the Bible? Being sent to preach is a pretty basic scenario. In the early days, you literally risked your life to do it, as most of the apostles discovered. Imagine the outcry the Mormon church would get if half the missionaries sent out to preach didn't return???

I think you could easily have this religion-leaving discussion about any of the churches you currently belong to. Maybe the problem is within the person themselves?

I base my faith on Jesus Christ's teachings, as I'm sure all/many of you do too. So if you want to leave a church, talk to God about it and do what He tells you. At least that way you're covered ;) There's no need to try and demonise the faith you came from. Seems to me more like an exercise in self-justification.

Is LDS church harmful?
Date: July 11, 2006 04:38AM

passerby

As one who went on a mission, I didn't find it cruel or exploitative. Come on, people, don't you believe the Bible?

No. It's just a book. You can find anything you want to find in it. It was written by men. It's an interesting book, for sure, but it's just a book.

Being sent to preach is a pretty basic scenario. In the early days, you literally risked your life to do it, as most of the apostles discovered. Imagine the outcry the Mormon church would get if half the missionaries sent out to preach didn't return???

Why do you think the Mormon church sends out boys so young that they really have no way of knowing much about the ways of the world? Why should I or anybody else believe the ideas and opinions of an adolescent? And I'd like to entertain the possibility of half the Mormon missionaries escaping. That would be great. Think I'll invite the next pair in and offer to help them. There are plenty of ex- and apostate Mormons who will be willing to offer counsel.

I think you could easily have this religion-leaving discussion about any of the churches you currently belong to. Maybe the problem is within the person themselves?

Good. Have at it.

I base my faith on Jesus Christ's teachings, as I'm sure all/many of you do too.

Nope. You're wrong. I won't speak for anyone else here but, and though I have great respect for many of the writings attributed to a certain "King of the Jews," I don't base my faith on anything written in books.

So if you want to leave a church, talk to God about it and do what He tells you. At least that way you're covered ;)

Nobody I know has God's phone number. And anything I imagine in my own mind to be "communicated" to me from an outside diety I'm more likely to assume was something I ate.

There's no need to try and demonise the faith you came from. Seems to me more like an exercise in self-justification.

Ah, buts there are lots of reasons to do so. Wouldn't you think the world would be better off if people regularly criticized, even to the point of demonizing, certain "faiths" such as Islam, Christian Science, the Church Universal & Triumphant, or Roman Catholicism? Mormonism possesses some highly destructive and regressive doctrines and deserves every bit of examination and criticism we can muster.

Ellen

Is LDS church harmful?
Date: July 11, 2006 10:39PM

elena
passerby

As one who went on a mission, I didn't find it cruel or exploitative. Come on, people, don't you believe the Bible?

No. It's just a book. You can find anything you want to find in it. It was written by men. It's an interesting book, for sure, but it's just a book.

Oops. Sorry Elena, I didn't realise there were non-Bible believers on this forum. You're welcome to your opinion of course.

elena
passerby
Being sent to preach is a pretty basic scenario. In the early days, you literally risked your life to do it, as most of the apostles discovered. Imagine the outcry the Mormon church would get if half the missionaries sent out to preach didn't return???

Why do you think the Mormon church sends out boys so young that they really have no way of knowing much about the ways of the world? Why should I or anybody else believe the ideas and opinions of an adolescent? And I'd like to entertain the possibility of half the Mormon missionaries escaping. That would be great. Think I'll invite the next pair in and offer to help them. There are plenty of ex- and apostate Mormons who will be willing to offer counsel.

I think the more salient point is that you get to go on a mission before you have to get everything else going in life - tertiary education, career, marriage, children, etc. Up until early to mid twentieth century it was common for older men to be sent on missions even though there were farms and families left behind. Consequently, I'm glad I went when I did. I'm not aware of this opinion being an "official explanation", just my own thoughts on the matter.

elena
passerby

Good. Have at it.

elena
passerby
I base my faith on Jesus Christ's teachings, as I'm sure all/many of you do too.

Nope. You're wrong. I won't speak for anyone else here but, and though I have great respect for many of the writings attributed to a certain "King of the Jews," I don't base my faith on anything written in books.

I think you underestimate the power of books in shaping our beliefs and attitudes. Though you claim indifference towards the Bible and Book of Mormon as "inspired", I'm sure there are many books that have influenced your belief structure. Don't see how it could be otherwise.

elena
passerby
So if you want to leave a church, talk to God about it and do what He tells you. At least that way you're covered ;)

Nobody I know has God's phone number. And anything I imagine in my own mind to be "communicated" to me from an outside diety I'm more likely to assume was something I ate.

We've all got it. It's an open line. I realise your current belief structure doesn't allow for communication from God, but believe me, I've had some great experiences that I deem quite separate from my culinary program.

elena
passerby
There's no need to try and demonise the faith you came from. Seems to me more like an exercise in self-justification.

Ah, buts there are lots of reasons to do so. Wouldn't you think the world would be better off if people regularly criticized, even to the point of demonizing, certain "faiths" such as Islam, Christian Science, the Church Universal & Triumphant, or Roman Catholicism? Mormonism possesses some highly destructive and regressive doctrines and deserves every bit of examination and criticism we can muster.

Ellen

Don't really agree on that point. Demonizing other faiths I think tends to lead to conflict, wars, etc. I think if you've got something better to offer, let people know about it and let them make their own decision. I think that is the true essence of preaching.

Is LDS church harmful?
Date: July 12, 2006 02:55AM

passerby
Oops. Sorry Elena, I didn't realise there were non-Bible believers on this forum. You're welcome to your opinion of course.

Thanks, though I neither need nor seek your persmission.

I think the more salient point is that you get to go on a mission before you have to get everything else going in life - tertiary education, career, marriage, children, etc. Up until early to mid twentieth century it was common for older men to be sent on missions even though there were farms and families left behind. Consequently, I'm glad I went when I did. I'm not aware of this opinion being an "official explanation", just my own thoughts on the matter.

It is commonly known that sending out young men to do proselytizing cements the doctrines in their own minds and ensures that they indoctrinate themselves as they attempt to indoctrinate others. It's a scam.

I think you underestimate the power of books in shaping our beliefs and attitudes. Though you claim indifference towards the Bible and Book of Mormon as "inspired", I'm sure there are many books that have influenced your belief structure. Don't see how it could be otherwise.

Irrational to make that leap. What I said was that I don't base "faith" on anything written in a book by men.

We've all got it. It's an open line. I realise your current belief structure doesn't allow for communication from God, but believe me, I've had some great experiences that I deem quite separate from my culinary program.

How would you know this? Does Saddam Hussein have one? Pretty much every schizophrenic thinks he has a "direct line to God." How would you prove otherwise? What do you think God is whispering in Saddams's ear?

Don't really agree on that point. Demonizing other faiths I think tends to lead to conflict, wars, etc. I think if you've got something better to offer, let people know about it and let them make their own decision. I think that is the true essence of preaching.

Don't get me started on the evil that has been done in the name of "faith."

Ellen

Is LDS church harmful?
Date: July 12, 2006 03:52PM

elena
passerby

Thanks, though I neither need nor seek your persmission.

Once again, you're welcome.

elena
passerby

It is commonly known that sending out young men to do proselytizing cements the doctrines in their own minds and ensures that they indoctrinate themselves as they attempt to indoctrinate others. It's a scam.

Indoctrinate (Definition): To instruct in a body of doctrine or principles.

Sure, I'll accept that.

Scam (Definition): A fraudulent business scheme

I guess it's not a scam.

elena
passerby

Irrational to make that leap. What I said was that I don't base "faith" on anything written in a book by men.

I beg to differ. Everything you "know" is really an act of "faith". Much of what you "know" you have learnt by reading and believing the writings of men. Hardly an irrational leap.

elena
passerby

How would you know this? <snip>

I read it in a book ;)

elena
passerby

Don't get me started on the evil that has been done in the name of "faith."

Ellen

You're right. Science has a lot to answer for ;)

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.