jasonc65, bjw, isitacult and the others here in this blog.
I have read this thread and I find the accusations being made here are simply opinions without any proof or substance to back up the accusations being made, simply fools airing their own opinion.
My challenge to all of you is please post what you believe the gospel is....and why.
Please remember this teaching from Jesus:
Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.
Trust me, it is so easy to look at someone else and not consider the log or plank in my own eye. Oh how many times I have spoken out of turn and or voiced my opinion only to learn that I misunderstood someone in the first place. I should have been asking questions instead of making accusations.
Be very careful there are proper ways Christian's should address fellow Christian's, posting things publicly when they should be address privately....that's not biblical example that we see.
"He who separates himself seeks his own desire,
He quarrels against all sound wisdom.
A fool does not delight in understanding,
But only in revealing his own mind." Prov 18
Please don't lose sight of Jesus, His teachings, or the Cross!!
This thread is not about Jesus or the Gospel, it is entitled "Ex members of John MacArthur's church." I have already explained how John MacArthur's teachings are contrary to mainstream Christianity, how families have been torn apart, friendships ruined, and people being taken in by this cult. However, leaving my opinions aside, let's look at the facts about GCC that are not my opinion:
1. There have been two high profile suicides by people that have been in the care of Nouthetic Counselors at GCC. (One is mentioned in MacArthur's book "Our Sufficiency in Christ," the other, Angelica Ericsson, was mentioned in many newspapers in the LA area in 1996)
2. MacArthur believes that psychiatry (a scientifically proven medical science found at every clinic in the world) is evil and is involved in a plot with evolutionists to infiltrate Christianity.
3. People are shunned by church members as punishment if they committ the same sin 3 times (called stumbling by the cult, see "Restoration Process" in any Student Life handbook published by the cult.)
4. People must sign a waver saying that if they are injured or committ suicide in the care of the church's Nouthetic Counselors GCC and MacArthur cannot be sued.
5. Salvation is realized only through obeying a list of commands where evidence must be constantly evidenced in your life, with constant improvement, or you are not saved. (See the MacArthur Study Bible, "Character of Genuine Saving Faith")
6. Depression and anxiety as well as other repeated problems in your life are caused by unconfessed sin, and you must tell a counselor intimate details of your past to look through your life to find the unconfessed sin you overlooked. These details are not kept confidential and are shared with church leadership.
7. Friends must report on each other in counseling sessions. (See "Restoration Process" in any church/college handbook or manual)
8. The Catholic church is Satanic and is the whore of Babylon mentioned in the Book of Revelation.
9. If any friends or family disagree with the cult's teachings you must disassociate from them (the cult calls it treating them as a pagan or tax collector, see "Restoration Process" in any of their handbooks)
Let me reitirate, this has nothing to do with Christianity, the Gospel, or any other religion. I don't care if he themed his cult to Bhuddism, these things would still be just plain wrong and prove this is a cult. I was swindled out of thousands of dollars by them, and had to go to many hours of seeing a psychiatrist afterwards to be deprogrammed, and my psychiatrist (at Kaiser Permanente) said he recognized elements of L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics and Scientology right away when he examined MacArthur's crap.
This has nothing to do with what anybody thinks the Gospel is or isn't. If something is morally wrong it is morally wrong. What happened to me there, and other people I know, is morally wrong. They should also let people know what they are getting into before they join. The recruiter that came to my high school was very dishonest with how he got me to join. That is morally wrong.
Also, let me add that the way those that defend MacArthur on this forum is typical with how they do, rejecting MacArthur is always equated with rejecting Jesus or the Gospel. This should prove the point I was trying to make. Their logic is:
John MacArthur was called by God to preach.
He went to Bible college.
He studied Greek and Hebrew and knows advanced hermeneutics.
He is led by the Holy Spirit.
Therefore, his doctrines are Biblical and are inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Therefore, he should lead a large church and college.
Therefore, rejecting his church, college, or teachings is rejecting God, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit.
Therefore, these people that reject these things are lost.
Believe it or not, I once had a roommate in the dorms tell me that amillenialist are lost because MacArthur is premil and is led by the Spirit, and two people that have the Spirit cannot have conflicting opinions. His followers cannot separate MacArthur from the Gospel. The two are synonomous with them and its either all-or-nothing. Either you agree with MacArthur or you reject the Gospel, it can't be both ways. So, thank you MacArthur supporters on here for proving my point.
A Message to those on the boards:
I am still interested in being contacted by others that have been hurt by the cult. I would like to try to get a support group going for people trapped in that are trying to get out and those that have had families separated, bankruptcy, etc. I know I sure could have used that the last year I was trapped in, I didn't know what to do. People need some kind of legal advice and a support group to get them back on their feet, so please, if you have been hurt by them contact me. Even though it was years ago that it happened to me, I know it must be still going on, and there is an opportunity to help others that have been hurt and stopping others from being hurt.
If you're trapped in now and you have stumbled onto this, get psychiatric help, leave immediately and go home to your family, demand any money back you have paid, and don't listen to any of their threats about you not being saved or them taking you to court. If you are still interested in practicing Christianity, there are many alternatives out there that do not take control of your life and are closer to what the Bible actually teaches.