Newfrontiers, British New Church Movement
Posted by: bea ()
Date: September 08, 2009 12:47AM

I grew up in the "new church movement", of which New Frontiers was a part of, and I had some horrific experiences there. I was prayed over and subjected to rituals similar to that of the toronto blessing. I had trance states induced and had convulsions as a result of 'laying hands'. I was told that if I ever left I would be a reprobate and God would punish me. I was told that every negative thing that happened was a result of me sinning. I witnessed people being hypnotised into trance-like states, laughing hysterically, having emotional outbursts, having fits, rolling on the floor, barking like dogs, speaking in tongues all which was attributed to the movement of the Holy Spirit. I went to a new church school so was completely emerge in the lifestyle. I was physically and sexually and spiritually abused within the church and by my own father, who was a church leader/elder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newfrontiers, British New Church Movement
Posted by: crashov3ride ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:48PM

I had and saw similar things i almost got sexually abused but i warned them i would phone the police in the end i stayed longer so i could stop the child abuse i saw going on but i had to leave. I'd liken the atmosphere to being in a room full of mental people but i'm sure mental hospitals don't have such extreme behaviour. It was terrifying at times. The humiliation they put on me and my family i will never forget.

Posted by: Servant Victoria ()
Date: August 08, 2017 01:11AM

To both of you who have posted, I am deeply troubled by behavior exhibited toward you in this "movement" and am extremely grateful for you stepping forward and making your stories public. May God heal you and surround you with love and support...

I actually have had some experience with the Toronto Blessing in the Detroit area, and much of what you described, bea, brought back memories, but the abuse was not part of my personal experience.

Anyway, my reason for posting was to thank you. This really could help someone, although my hope and prayer is that these churches have fizzled out or diminished in numbers in the few years since you have posted. Any update from anyone regarding New Frontiers or the New Church Movement would be helpful. Let's continue to shine the light on this.

Blessings...

Posted by: Trebor25 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 12:04AM

I don't believe most of the post you have published on here. I have been a member of a church that is part of NF, and never seen any of this. I am not saying there could never be a wayward church, I am just saying of all the NF churches I have encountered there has been none of it. We used to have a Bible week at Stoneleigh with over 20000 people there, as far as I am aware nothing bad happened. Since NF broke into smaller areas, my church have been having the same thing as at Stoneleigh, and again nothing has happened.
New Frontiers believe in the Bible being the inerrant word of God, so must be the ultimate authority on Earth. The Bible says leadership is male, women can lead children and other women, but not men. However they can preach under the leadership of Elders.
NF is not diminishing in fact it is growing at a furious pace, and more and more churches are joining or being planted, at home and abroad.
I am sorry this does not follow the drift of this site,but I felt that the discussion needed a balance.
I do agree on one thing, I did not like the period following the Toronto Blessing, with the laughing, braying and barking. I do of course speak in tongues.
As for being brainwashed, this is pure rubbish, I have disagreed with Elders at certain times, and never been thrown our of the church or been punished. I also left for a few years to a non NF church and was welcomed back.

Posted by: Henri ()
Date: October 16, 2017 05:52AM

To Trebor25:
If you attended a bible week with 20000 people, how could you possibly know what was/was not going on?
Abuse of any sort rarely occurs out in the open. Just because you don't believe it goes on in your church doesn't disprove bea's own horrific experience. I hope the police got involved, especially if there's a likelihood it's still going on. Even if the church bea refers to no longer exists the abusers do and are probably ruining lives somewhere else, as we speak. This should be very troubling to everyone.

Posted by: Gophermoi ()
Date: January 16, 2018 06:31PM

Newfrontiers churches are individual, self governed churches and not all are alike. I know someone who has had a very bad experience of controlling leadership in one British Newfrontiers church (see my post in the Newfrontiers International thread) and yet I have been a member of two newfrontiers churches with no such unpleasant occurrences. Like most denominations these days you cannot tar all of their churches with the same brush. You have to weigh the individual church and see what you get.

I am, though highly suspicious about the claims of people being modern day apostles, and I fully believe in church leaders being accountable. I would definitely warn against joining a church where a leader or leaders were controlling, or demanded information to which they are not entitled (earnings for example).

Posted by: howgodmadeu ()
Date: June 12, 2018 01:23PM

To whom it may concern:

We are here to help anyone who is fighting the good fight against McArthurism. We have been wanting to help, but wasn't sure how to do it. We have also been affected by McArthurism through our family...they were manipulated into following this cult by being recruited to visit other churches throughout the world. Our immediate family was hurt by our own family because we wanted to help. We decided to take a stand and not let McArthurism take our power away...we want to act, and not be silent any longer. If there is someone who is willing to take a stand with us, we can discuss further what we would like to do.

Imagine
by John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.