Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Accelerated Christian Education
Posted by: sbuerer ()
Date: February 18, 2009 02:50PM

Toxicsheepnomore- Did you start out in an ACE school and how many years were you in the school? Were your parents always supportive of the program? What do you mean when you said "it was actually abusive." How long ago were you in the school?

My children got a great education and were in several ACE schools in the Sacramento, CA area.

Sorry you had a different experience.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 18, 2009 03:03PM

A Christian School is to assist Christian parents in building character in their children. The academics are a by-product and also a tool to accomplish this task.

I don't understand WTF. Is that a company or an acrostic?

How can one blame a company which provides a curriculum and an Educational philosophy for the mistakes of a few? May I ask, what were the other options in your area. Were there other Christian schools.

I have found that were there is a true need, the ones who are really concerned will find a way to accomplish it. I might suggest reading "The Slight Edge."

I am sorry you have been caring this burden of anger. You might want to ask for God's help in forgiving those who you feel did not live up to your expectations.

Steve

Posted by: lanajae ()
Date: February 20, 2009 04:04AM

sbuerer
A Christian School is to assist Christian parents in building character in their children.

In the ACE system, this included permission given by parents to use physical punishment at will. Many of the posts you see on this thread are describing experiences from many years ago.

Did "assisted" character building in the ACE school your children attended still include the act of hitting a child?

Date: February 20, 2009 05:18AM

Are you suggesting that paddling a child's gluteus maximus is abuse? The lack thereof has caused much of the challenges in public schools today.

In our school, the parents were requested to come to the school and correct their child. Utmost care was given not to injure the child.

I believe God has given us the pain sensation to deter our inappropriate behavior. It is very effective when administered in a controlled environment. The problems occur when that child is smacked across the room by an angry back hand or the like.

Many people have chosen to talk to their child and maybe give time outs. This is of little value to a 2 to 8 year old. These children are for the most part ego-centric and concrete. They need to 1. know they are loved before and even if their behavior inappropriate. 2. They need to hear and see (if possible) the appropriate behavior. 3. They may need to be reminded of the appropriate behavior and if there is a natural consequence which will soon occur if appropriate behavior is not attended to, which will not inflict significant harm to the child, let it play out. 4. When a child is defiant or continues the inappropriate behavior, then a paddle should be used.

Read the parent training PACEs or the Supervisor PACEs. It will help with your understanding of Biblical-based training.

God has given us justice - ie do it right every time. no excuses. But He has also given us Mercy in the blood of Jesus Christ shed on the cross and His resurrection from the grave. Praise the Lord!

Steve

Posted by: lanajae ()
Date: February 20, 2009 10:02AM

Steve, I do not need help with understanding Biblical-based training, I was raised in an evangelical environment, along with many of the people who have responded to this topic. I have since raised 2 children and have 2 left at home. Not once did I feel a need to hit any of my children.

I am happy to hear that your school was not allowing others to "paddle" your children.

"God giving us pain sensation to deter inappropriate behavior" is a new one to me, thanks for laugh. Just to give you fair warning, I will be calling child protective services in Sacramento to have them research whether paddling children in a school setting is legal and appropriate.

Posted by: databass2001 ()
Date: February 20, 2009 10:27AM

To answer your question, "WTF?" is a term of contempt used my many of us who live in the real world and not in the land where Ace Virtueson lives. Not even from Ronnie Vain! It is an acronym for "What The F---?" Sorry I said that. Will you please forgive me?

Anyway, if you can forgive me and move on, lemme git back to business.

BTW (and that's By The Way), please don't use your name on this. No one else uses their names in this forum. That is one of the rules of this forum. And you have broken it a second time. It's obvious you didn't goto an ACE school and learn how to follow rules.

So here's your assignment. I'm putting it in the form of a homework slip:
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
********************************H O M E W O R K****

(name)____________________________ did not complete his assignment for today. To insure
his goals are met, he must take home the following for homework:

MATH: pp:___________________________________________________________
SOCIAL STUDIES: pp:___________________________________________________________
ENGLISH: pp:___________________________________________________________
SCIENCE: pp:___________________________________________________________
WORD BUILDING: pp:___________________________________________________________
rick ross forum: pp:__ACE pages 1 to 6___________________________________________

PARENT SIGNATURE:_________________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want me to continue giving you the time of the day you better read my entries. That's your assignment.

I know I didn't get everything right on that homework slip but that's not bad from memory. NINE YEARS OF THIS CRAP! NINE YEARS! NINE YEARS of scoring, correcting mistakes, and rescoring. 9 years of learning how to buck the system and getting away with most of the crap because i couldn't do it correctly. 9 years of beating the system. 9 years of learning under a bunch of pharassees. You know about them. Read The Gospel According to Saint Matthew. At approximately chapter 25, Christ lets them have it. "You tie up heavy loads on backs of men but will not lift a finger to move them." that's exactly what ACE does. ACE puts all the responsibility of learning on the back of the student. ACE makes the student monitor their own learning when that should be the responsibility of a competent teacher with proper certifications and not some holly roller with a staff of monitors who can do nothing more than answer flags and wear a ACE uniform. That really stinks. So wake up and smell the feces!

But hat happened to me? Eventually i went to a public high school. Very hard time adjusting. Went to community college. Dropped out. Served honorably in USAF for about 5 years. During which i got married. After discharge, got divorced. Got remarried 4 years ago. Went back to college and got BA in Business Admin from an accredited university (unlike ACE's International Institute!) I am re-married with 3 beautiful daughters. I hold down a full-time job as a second-level tech support agent with one of the more popular Voice-Over Internet Protocol companies. We are spiritually active in a local Baptist church.

Not bad, you might say. But I consider myself of the exceptions. Few of the ones I attended the ACE school have any spiritual activity in their lives. A little more than of them went on to finish high school. Few went on to attend college.

I have learned to hide the anguish i live with on a daily basis from growing up in such an environment. It burns me up so bad I attend meetings with a 12-step program loosely based upon the tenants of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Go on. Put ur kids thru this. And see what happens to them. Of course there is a chance they will come out somewhat unscathed. But do you really want to take that chance? There's a chance they'll grow up with half a brain to know how to sort out the real tough things in life. And it will probably require quite a bit of re-training and de-programming that I currently need.

Read my entries. Think about what I am tellin you. Because I really hate as Christ said, casting "pearl before swine."

Date: February 20, 2009 12:10PM

databass2001 - Are you afraid to give your name. The way I look at writing is that if I am ashamed or afraid to give my name then it is probably not a good idea to write.

Nice representation of a "Homework" slip. Few times my students or my own children need them. I have been a Supervisor or Principal in the ACE system for 6 years and in schools using the aBeka curriculum for 5 years. I then taught music in California government school one year but they dropped the Junior and Senior high music in 2003 and have not revived it. My major in college was an Interdivisional Major of Music and Christian Education from a major Christian liberal arts University in Nampa, Idaho. I have graduate studies in Christian education and credential program from Chapman U.

My three children all went to Christian schools and used ACE through high school ( note: my oldest decided to do his junior year in a classroom based Christian school because he had friends from our church there, but came back the next year). Two of them three graduated with Bachelors degrees and have work on Masters. One son is a businessman and my daughter is about through with an MBA and works for the Government as an accountant. Don't tell me that it is an ACE problem. It may be that the school of your choosing didn't run the program correctly.

The primary area where I believe ACE could improve is in area of essay writing. The students are not put through the arduous tasks of the writing process. As you said, the Monitors and Supervisor in many school as not very skilled in developing good writers.

My son told me a few of months ago that the Etymology course offered at the 97-108 level is one of the most useful courses he has ever taken; Even in college. Do you know anyone else that even has an Etymology course?

My daughter was in and ACE school for two years then that church decided they could not continue to fund the school (big mistake). We allowed her to home school for the remainder of her course work. She did two PE classes, a health class, and two semesters of sign language (fulfills the language requirement for college) at a local community college and graduated at seventeen. I'm a proud dad!

I contend that each of us make our choices and must live those consequences. Even as children. When I first heard this statement I was mad. "You are exactly where you have chosen to be." I was not as close to financial freedom as I had hoped and have not done many of the things I wanted. But as I thought about it, I realized he was right. If I had chosen differently, I could have made it happen twenty years ago. Now I have a mentor and Christian business coach and am making up for those choices. I expect to free in the next three to five years. Kinda like going to college after I had kids. Kinda like letting go of anger which paralyzes the ones it grabs.

Choices! They are funny things.

I read a book recently that I might suggest. "Leadership and Self-deception: getting out of the box" by The Arbinger Institute. It has nothing to do with ACE. It is a benefit to all who read it.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:10PM

sbuerer:

Personal attacks are against the rules of this board.

If someone wishes to remain anonymous that's their choice. It doesn't mean they are "ashamed or afraid." And you have no right to infer who should or should not write here.

Date: February 20, 2009 10:08PM

rrmoderator

Sorry for the misunderstanding. One of the contributors chastised me for signing my name and indicated "anonymous" is the name of the game. I in no way meant my comments to be an attack but a personal policy which I have found to be a great means to check my attitude and behavior against what is right in all my writing.

What is you blog policy?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 21, 2009 04:51AM

shuerer:

OK.

Remember to post within the rules you agreed to before becoming a member of this board.

Disagreement is fine, but personal attacks are not per the rules.

Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.