Current Page: 3 of 13
Accelerated Christian Education
Posted by: GentleStormi ()
Date: November 18, 2006 07:39AM

Laura29927
Wow, talk about a blast from the past.

Your guys' descriptions of what it was like to be in an ACE school match mine just the same - - and what an awful way that was to spend my grades 3 through 10.

It is sad that this educational tragedy is allowed to persist through loopholes in local laws regarding education. In Maryland, where I suffered as a child under this inferior school system, I believe that ACE schools got to exist because of something like this: the church-schools were officially exempted from having to meet the requirements that real schools had to follow.

I will try not to duplicate what everyone else wrote about the ridiculous things ACE makes you live through, day in and day out, such as basically sitting in a corner all day staring into your awful PACEs and at your goal chart and star chart. The way you guys described it is exactly how it works, and yeah you sure do become an expert at memorization, both the 60 to 120 second kind and the rote memorization kind (60 to 120 seconds is about how long it takes you to score your work and get back to your desk). Being forced to memorize all of those Bible verses too, on top of it.. you really learned your place in those schools, which was to sit down, shut up, and do no more or less than you are told.

I will, however, discuss the physical child abuse that occurred in both of the ACE schools I attended. The child abuse took the form of extremely severe paddlings. The schools would experience shifts in their disciplinary severity based on who the "supervisors" were that year, and also, what direction the associated church was going.

The worst year when I was attending the first school (Annapolis Christian Academy, no longer in operation as of the last time I checked) was when most of the staff had quit, leaving just one supervisor. At the same time, there was this possibly hyperactive child aged about 10 who developed some kind of social problem, she was usually unable to obey and would even antagonize the supervisor. The most severe paddling she received lasted 40 blows (I counted), while she was physicallly being restrained by the supervisor. She had large bruises on her backside that were visible for days afterward (she pulled her skirt up to show us).

The worst years when I was attending the second school (Antioch Christian School, still in operation) were a few years after they moved to their new building in Arnold, Maryland. Antioch Christian School was, and still is, associated with a pentecostal apostolic church. The church seemed to be in the middle of some kind of "revival", and somebody got the bright idea that clamping down on the students in the school would be a great part of that. The high school, under the supervision of a Naval Academy graduate named Jason Wharton, became like a military academy for christ. We had to act much like soldiers, such as how we would have to stand perfectly upright at our desks each morning as he walked around and examined each of us closely for any uniform problems. There was tons of stuff involved with this, such as forced fasting on Wednesdays (no lunch allowed), forced kneeling at the altar in the sanctuary, and on and on. I don't think they did all of the same things to the elementary school.

So at the same time this was going on, a physical child abuse problem developed in the elementary school. We in the high school were living under the edict that we too could be paddled at any time, but that only happened once to someone in the high school.

In the elementary school room, there were two small, probably hyperactive boys, "C" and "R". I am going to guess they were 10 to 12 years old (at the oldest 12, they acted pretty young but they might have just been immature). I don't know if it means anything, but both of these small boys were african-american. C seemed to just behave in a hyperactive way and was occasionally mean, but R had an additional, independent streak and was especially mean-spirited to the other children. My little sister was in the elementary school, so I got to know about these boys partly through her and her own difficulties with them.

Paddling of either of these boys was pretty much always done by two men, Brother Humphrey and Brother Wharton (our own supervisor). It was done in the room across the hall from the high school room, and all of us could clearly hear what was going on. The child who was about to be paddled was always screaming and begging not to be paddled beforehand. There was some kind of either ACE rule or local law imposed on the the men (I don't know which) that stipulated that they were not allowed to hit the child more than 5 blows, but if that was meant to prevent child abuse, it didn't work. There would always be 5 extremely loud blows inflicted with the paddle, and then there would be silence. The silence would last for 6 to 8 seconds. Then, there would be an agonized and short scream from the child. I happen to know exactly why it happened that way - - the child had been hit so hard that it knocked the wind out of him. Then there would be silence again for a bit less than the original time, and then another scream would come. The child would incrementally gain the ability to breathe again, and was crying and screaming hysterically for a while after the abuse. I always felt sure that one of the men was restraining the child and one was administering powerful blows, maybe even hitting the child with maximum force, although I could never observe what was happening directly.

"C" had this happen to him a relatively small number of times, and then he ceased the behavior that was getting him beaten. "R" was another story, and it almost seemed like a common thing to have happen to him for a while. R could be antagonistic with other children and seemed mean-spirited, and he persisted with the behaviors. Even we in the high school knew R was like this, and most of the high school kids would laugh and not seem to feel sorry for him when the severe paddlings would occur.

A little ritual developed in the high school after a while. R would be taken into the room across the hall for a paddling. Everyone knew what was happening due to the sound of R begging and crying as he was moved into the room. The supervisor in the high school would close the high school room's door to the hallway before it got fully underway. The abuse would happen, and the two sets of closed doors was never enough to stop the sound from being heard. The high school kids would laugh at R, despite the ceremonial closing of the door.

Eventually, R's behavior changed, and he became more compliant and able to avoid the beatings. Either he matured or the torture had an affect on him, I don't have a way to know which.

So, in summary, point being:

I second the motion that ACE is a bad and nasty educational system for the reasons stated by the other people in this thread. Additionally, the whole system has been seen to allow unqualified people to operate the schools, resulting in psychological and physical child abuse being perpetuated against children.

[b:8ea85151be]"ACCELERATED CHRISTIAN EDUCATION" SUCKS ASS [/b:8ea85151be] and I wish local governments would stop playing paddy-cake with the church-schools and seriously require all kids, without exception, to receive a real education with qualified teachers.

--Laura

From GentleStormi:

your statement about kids all kids need to receive a real education, with qualified teachers

i agree with you, and i also want to say that the parents shoulders should be the place where this responsibility rests, and i dont care how much effort it should require some parental effort to make sure their kids get it. i know my son goes to a school that does NOT provide a math textbook!! imagine that!. well, i just learned this, i was shocked, his algebra teacher is strict in her teaching, its a public school i am referring to. but the entire math highschool teachers are all doing the same page. they get together and create a math agenda so that all the Algebra 2 Teachers are doing the same thing, but there is no book for the kids to take home. well, we pay our taxes and i think this is sorry! so its up to me to ensure he is getting it, to get him into tutoriing, but i got to tell you , public school is only as good as the parents are who are involved with their kids, who take time to help them and or get help for them. ACE stinks, mainly because its so narrow and restricts any creative or critical thinking skills and limits the world view to a very rigid Puritanical point of view. I am a Firm Believer and follower of Jesus Christ, he has personally brought me out of a lof of crap from my past, and if it were not for God, i would not be walking round normally. I am a survivor of the Lester Roloff cult that practiced bad abuse, brainwashing , the chanting of bible and floating off into dissociation in the chanting, and the mind control tapes etc, i still needed the Lord, but i dont agree with the ACE its no where able to help a student learn to THINK.

but then the other flip side is that the Public schools are only as empowered with our own kids as we the parents help with.

in my opinion

latr
GentleStormi
Roloff Rebekah Cult Survivor
77-78

[roloffsurvivorssupport.bravehost.com]

[groups.yahoo.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 18, 2006 07:51AM

FaithC
Years ago I looked into a private school for my son. We went to an interview with a school who used the ACE curriculum, I was mortified. The principal went on and on about how education was not their primary goal with the kids, but that they were more interested in the spiritual. He talked about all the church services, etc. He said that the kids at his school did not always test as high as the rest of the nation, but that they were more rounded spiritually. I could go on and on, but needless to say, we did not put our son in that school. In the end he just went to public school and graduated with honors. He is now in college and doing wonderfully.

From GentleStormi

i got to say Faith, that i am glad you went on thru the public system
i think there is something to helping our kids face the world, and learn to be sociable and not isolated.

whatever happened to the reality that in centuries past, it was always seen as 'christian' for higher education?

hummm

latr
Patricia
Gentlestormi
Roloff Rebekah Survivor
77-78

[groups.yahoo.com]

Date: November 18, 2006 08:11AM

Where do I begin? Let me explain first how I got here. Last night on Heartland (FOXNews) I saw an interview wiht this Ross guy. They were talking about the wackjob in Florida that claimed to be Christ - sorta. So, I thought I'd see more on this subject at culteducation.com.

First, I saw several accusations of "cult" to be wrong. At the same time, I saw more accusations that I agree with. Cult is anything remotely like the koolaide drinkers from Jim Jones, ok? Scientology, in my opinion, is a cult too. So, in seeing the list of "cults" I have come to the conclusion that Mr. Ross defines any religion/church/denomination as a cult. Any and all of them, but that is simply incorrect. Scripture memory, and fellowship with like minded people are not a bad thing, and it certainly does not make it a cult activity. It's like seeing the boogy man under every bed and in every closet.

Regarding this thread - I went to a ACE school for one year. I hated it. I was not abused physically or mentally or emotionally. I just hated the cubbie holes. I needed hands on learning.

Now, if you go to a Christian school one would expect to learn about Christianity. It WILL be part of the curriculum. There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing. I must note that you guys should not generalize so much. Not every ACE school or any Christian school is the same, and thank goodness, from what I've read. In the public schools I learned about sex and drugs, got in fights and found out in a very heartbreaking way that kids are so cruel. IMO, my public school experience was no better than that year at the ACE school.

As for the comment with regards to wanting the government to insist kids are taught by "qualified" teachers. I have a HUGE problem with that. I am in my 6th year home schooling my kids. We have a blast! My oldest daughter (7th grade) just tested high school level in all subjects. 10th grade level to be exact. They are on the swim team, go to book club and have more activities than I can keep up with!

The minute the government puts their nose in private Christian schools (abuse cases should be investigated, by the way) that will be the day that they will try to impose on my right to home school my children.[/quote]

From GentleStormi

i have also heard good reports from homeschooling issues,
yes in a christian school you would expect a christian bent, but in the ACE there is a strict rigid extreme fundamentalist point of view, especially like the ones that David Gibbs supports. the ones like Roloff Shootoff schools and 'homes' still in active use today.
in this setting, there is no allowance for understanding God, there is no real teaching and learning done, they truly are from the anti-intellectual arena of life on earth. for sure! they are scared to explore and find other ways of seeing things. Of looking at the mountain from other views. which i am not, i may not agree with a perspectives point on something, but i am becoming more and more abled to at least get closer to look wihtout thinking the devil is gonna get me. or worse God. God is love and in Roloffs they did not teach love only Fear, yet perfect love casts out fear, and fear has to do with punishment so anytime any one uses God for punitive reasons it will sadly shatter spirits and not set people free to know God.

i do not believe anyone in government is worried about your freedom to homeschool your children. what i do hear in your voice is the same anti goverment distrust i grew up in. my dad was a JBS and it impacted me and Roloffs disdain for governing authority is surely the ingrediants to a cult. roloffs was a cult, they have his image to this day stamped onthe curtains in that place in corpus! i just seen it, and they have him enthroned in the Jack Hyles Andersons College, Roloff refused to be under any authority, he decided to BE the authority, and it backfired and left many kids with broken lives. State oversight of "lock down detention facilities" i believe is a MUST, the confusion on roloffs is because they clamed it was Separation of Church and State, he hid behind that, and i got to tell you , that taking in young persons who are suicidal, depressed, abused, pregnant from their dads, and then condemning them and mind controlling them was not "practicing ones faith" , they locked them up, treated them as if they were incorrigible, and whores, (who got pregnant by their dads incest) and it was a lie, i believe firmly that the homes Roloff ran and his ACE schooling should have been monitored by something other than the fox watching the hen house,

worshiping God in our own way and with a free conscience is the beauty of our nations constitutional rights, but creating dorms across the nation from coast to coast where you beat and lock up kids and force them to do ACE work is in need of dire help and intervention .....

these places are in existence today, there are two in Florida and one in Montana, and one in NC, they exist they are doing just what they have been always doing. destroying souls and minds

and they use ACE

about the idea of the defintion of "cult"

to me a cult is about a man who leads a body of followers and he is basically got some psychotic sociopathic qualities and very narccissitic
he has a "fight" and a "cause" and brings in those who will stand behind their "hero". but no you are correct, there is much to be gained from safe community,
when and if you are in a community and feel yourself being sucked in more and more, could be a sign that the group or communty is like unto a black hole that will rob you of your freedom to live a life.
safe community inmy opinion is respectful of your individual boundaries of life. and will indeed PROMOTE critical thinking, not stamp on it

latr
GentleStormi
Patricia
Roloff Rebekah Cult Survivor

[groups.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Miss Minka ()
Date: November 22, 2006 03:58PM

WOW! So where do I begin!?

I started surfing tonight thinking that I will kill an hour before I fall into my bed. Three hours later I am here with a sense of disbelief. I have two sick kids, a full day of work tomorrow, a messy house and I'm a single mom....sob, sob...

Then I thought (with a sick feeling and, "just do it" running through my head) I'd look up "Accelerated Christian Education", which was pretty much my entire education as a child.

I am shocked and delighted that there are so many of us overcomers out there. I am 34 years old and am still, and probably always will be, reeling from my years of living in that hell. Of course, it may have a lot to do with the fact that I was also raised in a "cult" (I still feel like a traitor when I say that). I will just speak to the ACE portion of the upbringing in this forum, though.

Begin Rant

I went from kindergarten to graduation in this system. It was hell, pure hell. I was a kind, gentle and obedient child, but when I couldn't understand what I was supposed to just absorb, I got detentions. Three detentions got the paddle.....a paddle at school got a spanking at home. OH, yes, you better believe that whatever was happening in the homes was worse than what was happening in the schools. At least that is my personal experience with it. The principal (who was also a "good" friend of my parents), told my dad to "beat the devil out of" me. There was a popular book out at the time called, "What the Bible Says About....Child Training", and I assume that I was thought to be rebellious because I couldn't get my frickin' math done (the five pages that I HAD to put down on my "Goal Chart" for each day) because I couldn't understand it and there was no one qualified or motivated enough to explain it so a 6 to 10 year old could understand it.

I had a nervous breakdown at 10. Of course, no one called it that. My parents had been reading about homeschooling for a while then and became one of the first homeschoolers in the movement. Although there still were problems in the home, THANK GOD my mother was wise enough to just let me read my little butt off for four years until I felt I was ready to emerge from self-imposed exile.

Then I jumped right back into hell, but that's all I knew and there was no way I would ever be allowed to go to a public school, or even another denomination. And anyway, I was scared to death of the "world" and I really would have been eaten alive if I had have set foot in one of those places.

I "escaped" the cult when I was 21. Yup. And the last 13 years have been spent in confusion and pain and tremendous growth. I am a single mom now, working my butt off at a good job and sending my kids to public school. I am living a life that is foreign to everything I knew and everything I wanted. But I am not regretful or remorseful. It's just very different. I feel like I was raised in a foreign country and have only lived in this culture for 13 years and am just now getting the hang of it.

End Rant.

Thanks for reading!

~Heidi
[/b]

Posted by: graciewolf ()
Date: January 11, 2007 03:50PM

I also was raised in ACE schools. The first one was thru 6th grade and I was sexually abused after being spanked by the Principal. In high school, I excelled because of my ability to dissociate and ignore anything around me. I won the trophy for the most scripture memorized and graduated as validictorian...

Sadly, I was such an emotional mess that I never did anything after that... 20 years later, I am just at a point where I am healed enough to go on with my life.

The doctor told my parents that I was clinically depressed when i was in 9th grade... they laughed at her and so I got no help... after all, depression is from the devil, right?

I am still haunted.

Patricia... Are you the one that went to a small school in monks corner S.C. whose parents were very strict and sent you away to roloff with no warning to anyone? You sound very familiar. I am the girl that was paddled daily... if it is you and you remember.

Posted by: malleeboy ()
Date: January 12, 2007 05:24AM

I've noticed that most of the posts have been from women, maybe ACE suits boys better than girls. I had a good friend who attended a PACE school and girlfirend who taught at one. Now there are probably many nutters running schools using this systems, but putting that aside, to me it always sounded a great way to learn. I hated my regular school and disliked most of my teachers. (Although my oldest son is named after my Grade 5-6 teacher, who I really liked.) It generally seemed so fluffy and I did not enjoy class time. Maybe its my personality but the idea of being left to sit at a cubicle at work at my own pace sounds great. I am the kind of person who would rather go to a library and read then attend a party. I am great at rote learning. I really think I learned more from reading books to myself then I did ever in a class.

Posted by: KG14 ()
Date: January 27, 2007 12:50PM

Ok, I found this site when I googled "Accelerated Christian Education." I am currently in an ACE school, and it is horrible. I was wondering if any of you had any links, know of any books, or something to help me convince my parents that it is a bad system. Please, I can't find anything and I need some help. I really want to get out of it because I think it is going to be hard to get any sort of scholarship to a good college with ACE. Thanks in advance, KG14.

Posted by: mynamehere ()
Date: February 09, 2007 08:10AM

Wow... I must be a lucky one.

I've been in the ACE system my entire life. I'm currently a Senior and I've had two siblings graduate before me.

Both of my siblings attend Pepperdine University with nearly 3/4ths of it being pade by scholarships. (For those who don't know, Pepperdine is 42,000 a year.) I too plan on attending Pepperdine. I scored a 1790 on my SAT (1280 on the old scale) with virtually no study.

I guess I go to a good ACE school... 0.o

~Reese

Posted by: mynamehere ()
Date: February 10, 2007 09:17AM

uggg! I typed paid wrong and there's no Edit button! WHY!!!

~Reese

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 10, 2007 08:27PM

mynamehere:

Users are not allowed to change existing posts.

We had problems with people coming here and posting and then later removing their posts.

There is a "Preview" feature that can be used to edit an entry before clicking on the final "Submit."

Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.