Berachah Spin-Off
Date: February 27, 2009 12:42AM

Hello all,

I've been reading a lot from the Thieme thread over the past few days. I came out of a church whose pastor came out of Dallas Theological Seminary and is leading an ICE doctrinal church in Oklahoma.

Does anyone have experience with starting an actual support group for people who have come out of spiritually abusive churches? This seems to be the direction the Lord would have me take now that I've been out of an SA church for several years. I've seen so many hurting from their experience and abuse in this church: split marriages, divided families, head-games galore, even suicides I'm afraid - including the pastor's own son.

I would love to gleen from anyone with experience in this field.

Should I look into furthering my own education with counseling classes - perhaps get counseling myself, or take the initiative and organize? Of course I would want to be better informed on how to lead these meetings, topics to include/exclude, etc. I currently attend church (sporadically) at a healthy Bible studying, Jesus worshipping Christian church, attend BSF women's Bible study and lead a small Bible study out of my home for a small, close group of family and friends - girls only ;-) So it seems I am on the road to recovery but I understand this can be a long process - esp. in my case where I was only 6 years old when my parents hooked up with this group. Fast forward 28 years later when I finally broke away from this group and now 8 years free from them I'm still dealing with the fall-out.

TIA,
Free

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Berachah Spin-Off
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 27, 2009 02:07AM

See [www.culteducation.com]

There is a directory of recovery resources.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

There are quite a few books on the subject of "destructive churches" that you might read.

Date: February 27, 2009 07:36AM

pm sent to you, FBSB.

Date: February 27, 2009 02:00PM

Thank you, orange....pm back at cha.....

BTW.....FBSB? Not sure of this lingo. ;-)

Date: March 01, 2009 12:17AM

Well....I thought I had a lead (thanks, Orange) in contacting someone who has dealt with this specific issue....but it did not pan out and I was unable to follow-through.

If anyone has another suggestions I'm all ears!

Thanks Moderator for your link to the recovery articles....I'm still going through them....very helpful.

Soon after leaving this church I threw myself into reading about spiritual abuse and cults. I found Enroth's books first and that really help the recovery process and healing did begin. I've many other books on my shelf that need reading. Along with these books and communicating with others via these message boards and like forums it really feels like the pipes are starting to clear.

But I know there's a ways to go.....it may be a lifelong process.

Bitterness and wishing harm upon those who played a role in all of this is something I'm still struggling with. Especially whenever I run into someone at the grocery store whom I haven't seen since I left, who was my best friend for almost 20 years and who never picked up the phone to find out why we left the church. Who never contacted me after my father's death, my daughter's wedding, my brother's unexpected death, the birth of my first grandchild....

I'm almost to the point where I can pray for them. I truly do want the eyes of their hearts to be opened to the truth, for them to be able to see trees in spite of the forest. But I know this has to be a choice they make, as I did, and no one else can change their minds until they are ready.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a therapy session.....but thanks for listening.

I solicit any suggestions on my original post and also any commentary or advice from anyone who has been down the same path.

Galatians 6:2

Date: March 23, 2009 06:33PM

FBSB,

Earlier you wrote the following, ". . .starting an actual support group for people who have come out of spiritually abusive churches . . ."

In the Rick Ross forum section, 'Recovery from Destructive Cults and Groups'
and under the section, 'Trumpet Call of God'
wendyjduncan posted on March 22, 2009 09:33pm;

". . . My husband and I facilitate a support group in the Dallas area for former members of cults and spiritually abusive groups . . ."

I think this couple have a website, www.DallasCult

You could try sending her a pm, asking about their experience in starting a support group.

Date: March 30, 2009 08:12AM

Thanks, Orange....I just might do that. ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.