Question for any current members of Radiant Life Church
Posted by: AnonymousGuy ()
Date: November 13, 2008 02:41AM

I'm new to this forum, and I was referred to it by some former members of RLC who left over concerns they had but who were not directly affected by the "cultlike" behavior. As a Sacramento area church leader, I'm trying to figure out how best to advise them. It's always hard to determine what has really been going on and how much has been exaggerated. The red flag that went off for me, though, is the response that these concerned members got from members of the church leadership when they went to them. When asked what they should think about the discussion on these blogs, the response was, "Don't read the blogs." To me, that seems like very much the wrong response to serious accusations that are tangibly infecting the entire church. But I want to leave the possibility open that perhaps the leadership has responded, but that these concerned members didn't notice.

My question to any current RLC member (and please, only current RLC members) is: "Has the church leadership publicly responded to the accusations of cultlike behavior going on in the 'inner circle' of RLC? If so, is there any website link, sermon podcast, etc. that you can refer me to?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for any current members of Radiant Life Church
Posted by: whatajoke ()
Date: November 13, 2008 09:06AM

I know you are looking for current members comments. Just wanted to suggest that you read through all the posts to get a grasp on the issues and maybe pm some people. It is true and very ugly. Look at the list of families that have fled. They are real. They have responded to the current members but by doing everything to cover their butt and not make it right. As long as the leader is at the helm in his current state it will be a mess.

Posted by: BraveHeart ()
Date: November 13, 2008 11:18AM

AnonymousGuy
I'm new to this forum, and I was referred to it by some former members of RLC who left over concerns they had but who were not directly affected by the "cultlike" behavior. As a Sacramento area church leader, I'm trying to figure out how best to advise them. It's always hard to determine what has really been going on and how much has been exaggerated. The red flag that went off for me, though, is the response that these concerned members got from members of the church leadership when they went to them. When asked what they should think about the discussion on these blogs, the response was, "Don't read the blogs." To me, that seems like very much the wrong response to serious accusations that are tangibly infecting the entire church. But I want to leave the possibility open that perhaps the leadership has responded, but that these concerned members didn't notice.

My question to any current RLC member (and please, only current RLC members) is: "Has the church leadership publicly responded to the accusations of cultlike behavior going on in the 'inner circle' of RLC? If so, is there any website link, sermon podcast, etc. that you can refer me to?"

Dear AnonymousGuy

I want to share a letter and my response are in green, I hope that this answers many ow your questions.
If not please feel free to contact me or the many others here.

Dear Brave Heart,
It is clear to me that this RCL thing is really quite frustrating, espcially for you
and in this you seem (although i do not belive) to be venting
Could you please explain to me why Pastor Tony religion is this way?

Do you believe in a Prophtic gifting? Do you Believe in a Apostolic gifting?
(Although the titles apostle and prophet, themselves are pointless and serve for no good in my opinion)
And if you dont believe this what do you think Eph 4:11 means when it says
some apostles some prophets...etc?

Now please note as i have been atending XXXXXXX for nearly 4 years and got saved there,
and WAS heavily involed in leadership. I am no longer part of the leadership team although
i love them and still hang out with them as many of them are my friends and we have gotten saved together.
I love to keep an objective view point so please dont take me as trying to prove anything i would just like to understand and
know truth.

Thank You for taking the time and reading this.

Could you please explain to me why Pastor Tony religion is this way?

That is a good Question: I first meet Tony back in 1997-98 He would come in to my coffee shop and get some coffee usually after his staff would come in and get some coffee drinks. Being the shop owner I was pretty eager to meet new people and get to know them. Over a period of time I got to know several people on the staff at the church including pastor Adam Greer.
During this time in my life I had let my coffee shop become my God , My wife and children. You can read more of my story at [[url=http://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?14,23121,page=93]www.RickRoss.com[/url]]
The church was different from any other church I ever attended the worship was passionately in love with God and the teaching was very fundamental. My wife and I started attending regularly around 1999. I could not believe the relationships that were springing up with other churches in the Sacramento area. At that time the church was called Elk Grove Community Church they would meet at Junior High school and then on other nights they rented a warehouse where they would have Friday night worship and small groups. In the year 2000 EGCC joined with 62-65 Christian church’s in the Sacramento are to form “The Sacramento Prayer Covenant” that was an incredible time we would often as a church meet up with another church for a time of worship and prayer. We would pray for salvation to come to the city, unity in the body of Christ etc. On Saturday nights we would meet up with a bunch of men at South Sacramento Christian Center and have the men’s prayer time. What was so cool about this relationship is SSCC was mostly an African American Church and we were mostly white. Tony and the pastor of South Sacramento Christian Center were good friends such good friends that Tony asked Easley to teach at SOMA. Tony also announced that he had made a covenant with Pastor Easley Simmons to be accountable to him because he recognized that he was not accountable to anyone. But soon Tony locked horns with Easley and Easley quietly removed himself from teaching at SOMA. Mean while Discipleship Training was going on once a month you had elders and staffers making similar covenants with Tony. Occasionally Tony would participate in the pastor’s huddle in Sacramento once a month. But around the time that he sued Buzz Oats the man that gave him the building. I would say it was in the year 2003 Tony dropped all the relationships with the other churches and pastors. He and his elders would talk down Promise Keepers each year they would be coming to our area. The second year of SOMA is when it hit the fan Tony introduced the teaching on Spiritual Parenting our son who was attending SOMA he came home to us and asked us to sit down He told us that Our ways are but filthy rags and that he no longer wanted to receive any thing from us. At this time My wife and I were being discipled by Greg & Kelli Huth. Greg at the time was the head elder so I asked him about this teaching on Spiritual parenting he said that he did not have the answers and would look into it and he said that he did not know the answers but would look into it. a month or two go buy and I’m meeting with him weekly he still does not have an answer. Now mind you Tony has already laid out the Covenant Relationships Spiritual Covering and Spiritual Authority teachings, “Master & Commander” are required viewing. So I was tiptoeing around trying to get a strait answer from Tony. So one day went to the Leadership Development class where Tony laid out the Spiritual Parenting teachings so I head it first hand. Later as I continued to ask questions My wife is getting the same teaching by Kelli I was told buy Greg to relax that God has a way of ironing out his plan in his timing. Needless to say I tried to embrace the teachings and only got more and more frustrated with my life. we saw several youngsters reject there parents and move in with one of the pastor’s or move in with one of the elders. I don’t have an event or date in time but some where I believe Tony’s ego started to consume him. And somewhere he lost his way. Tony has this thing for King David and there is a part of me that believes He is doing all that he can to replicate his life. Polygamy is not allowed here in the USA and Tony will not take a stand on this so the Spiritual Daughters is the closest thing he can have that is not get in trouble with the law.

Now Tony is unapproachable and talk one on one with you unless he knows he can manipulate the conversation.

Do you believe in a Prophtic gifting?
Yes I do and let me explain I believe there are false prophets and there are prophets of God. There are people who have a gifting and how they use it makes a difference. I know a man who ministers to churches specifically with in the Pastors, Elders and Staff. It is not like he can read your mail but God gives him a word of knowledge or a picture in his head. The holy Spirit gives him discernment and insight as to the specific demonic activity someone may be under. I also know the little old Palm Reader at the state fair can read your mail and tell you things that only you would know. But the fruit of a prophet of God is distinct. A real prophet does not manipulate you for his/her own gain. The words of a godly prophet are true and they bring life. Even if it is a hard word of rebuke.

Do you Believe in a Apostolic gifting?
Yes and like wise an Apostle is recognized by his deeds and works. What we do not see in scripture is the instruction to self-appoint ones self to a position that he does not have the fruit to show for... Also there are Miracles and Signs of wonders. Name one Miracle or Sign of wonder Tony was part of? We have debunked Tony’s Hurricane hoax. I find it very odd that Tony prayed for himself to have his eyes healed. Yeah right!

Also there are church’s that have an apostolic ministry they bring unity like the apostle Paul and John did they bring instructions and corrections. Look at the church that produced the movie “Facing the Giants” I would also agree that is a healthy growing church that embodies these attributes through the body of believers where; some stepped into the roll of an Evangelists, Pastors, Teacher, Prophet, and Apostle. But never do we see any of the original Apostles lording over the church. An apostle is not the Captain, an apostle serves the Church Body. I know that the association of false prophets is something that the early Christian churches struggled with also. The Lord addresses the seven churches in Revelations chapters 2 & 3. There were false prophets and false apostles trying to infiltrate the early church.

(Although the titles apostle and prophet, themselves are pointless and serve for no good in my opinion)
And if you don't believe this what do you think Eph 4:11 means when it says
some apostles some prophets...etc?

Now please note as i have been atendingXXXXXXXX for nearly 4 years and got saved there, and WAS heavily involed in leadership. I am no longer part of the leadership team although i love them and still hang out with them as many of them are my friends and we have gotten saved together. I love to keep an objective view point so please dont take me as trying to prove anything i would just like to understand and
know truth.

As for XXXXXXXXX I believe there are some good people there who have not made un-holy soul ties with Tony and they have not sucumed to his teachings but there are some who have and that makes it very dangerous.

Thank You for taking the time and reading this.

That’s all I have for now
All My Best
Dan

Posted by: timeforchange ()
Date: November 14, 2008 05:04AM

AnonymousGuy

I have only left RLC recently. I can tell you that the response even up to this past Sunday as a friend left shortly after I did. She was told she could not serve her last Sunday and was basically shunned as well as others have testified to the same treatment.

I personally was lied to by key leadership. I was told the problems were from without not form within and nothing was going on. Those who have disagreed have been publicly and privately ridiculed and made fun of. I have heard people referred to as casualties. I have heard from friends that I personally have been deemed dangerous and people should guard their heart against me. I might sway them with my gossip or slander.

The atmosphere are RLC is hostile and core members who are leaving, strong Christians are being considered bad fruit, pruned away so new can come.

As far as counseling, my suggestion is to just listen, don't try and make sense of what has happened. You can't, it is sick and insidious. I am one who has left the leadership team and had been around a long time and was very committed.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: AnonymousGuy ()
Date: November 14, 2008 06:34AM

Thank you for your responses.

It's starting to become clear to me that the kind of thing I'm looking for probably doesn't exist. Either all of the accusations being made against RLC are true (and your stories have definitely confirmed that) or the leadership doesn't feel the need to respond to them publicly. Either way, I'm quickly becoming convinced that this is a church I need to be warning people away from. I'll still leave the opportunity for any current RLC members to respond.

I'm sorry for the deep hurts that this church obviously has caused you and many others. But I'm glad that we all worship the God that can "restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten." (Joel 2:25) I hope and pray for your restoration and healing.

Posted by: Deja Vu ()
Date: November 19, 2008 01:53AM

It would be great for you to get onto the main forum thread and share your insights and questions. "What ever happen to Radiant Life Church of Sacramento"

-Ryan-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.