Re: Turning Point Church World Outreach Center-Tell Your Story
Posted by: ostracizedone ()
Date: May 29, 2010 08:54AM

[www.xs4all.nl]

Which are the features of psychological influence most common to spiritual movements ?

1. Outlook/aspiration of members
2. Authority of leader/founder
3. Shared belief in scripture, revelation, or sayings.
4. Uniqueness of the movement.
5. Salvation through baptism, initiation, or conversion.
6. Belief in prediction/prophecy
7. Belief versus intellect/Secrets
8. Common practice of a ritual
9. Sacrifice. Financial secrecy, favours to the rich
10. Unquestioning leadership, reprehensible behaviour amongst members.
11. Fear of expulsion

Next to financial contributions members will often be expected to offer services to the group. However, if they also have to work for practically nothing in commercial enterprises it becomes dubious. Movements that gather wealth at the expense of their members are questionable. Seldom or never requests for return of contributions/investments are honoured.

The stronger members are tied to a group, the more the fear of exclusion lurks. They may have invested their life's savings in the work (Scientology), paid a percentage of their income, failed to conclude their study, or make a career, or sacrificed a succesful one.
In many cases a member will have alienated himself from family and friends.

The true nature of the so-called friendships within the group will only be revealed after a devotee has left the fold. Members have seen this happen, but did not give it a thought at the time, because it happened to someone else. But when they undergo the same fate themselves they will feel the humiliation of being ignored, not being greeted anymore, marriage gone - even not being recognized by one's own children anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 29, 2010 09:03AM

[www.orange-papers.org]

In some cults, members are told to absolutely avoid any contact with people who have left the cult. They are told that the departees are evil and dangerous, and must be shunned and ostracized. Good Scientologists may not have any contact with people who have been "declared Suppressive Persons." Jehovah's Witnesses may not talk to or associate with those who have been "disfellowshipped." Likewise, good Moonies may not communicate in any way with those who have left. That is an act of self-preservation for the cult: They don't want to risk their members being told some sensible things by people who were lucky enough to get out.

Such ostracism also acts as a strong deterrent to people who may be thinking about leaving. Cardigan, in "Mainstream Cults," makes the point that the fact that every member of the cult knows for certain what will happen if they leave is a potent psychological threat. It goes beyond a vague, remote, "you'll burn in Hell for eternity" threat. It's an immediate, here-and-now threat: "We will not associate with you ever again. You will be completely cut off and totally alone." No one wants to risk being completely ostracized by his or her friends. And since most cult members associate almost exclusively with just other cult members, such ostracism means being cast completely adrift, and left totally friendless and alone.

When a cult recruit crosses the invisible barrier in his mind — when he enters the world of the cult and its doctrine at some point in his flirtatious sampling of the cult — he is tripping the switch of his voluntary suspension of disbelief. Brainwashing or mind control then occurs naturally, sometimes effortlessly. In many cases the new cult member will struggle hard to brainwash himself. He must do this in order to balance out the guilt he feels. When doubts rush in like a flood, he tells himself, "I am following the truth. The rest of the world may be going to hell, but I am following the truth!"

Date: May 29, 2010 09:07AM

[surrealist.org]

There is often a sort of collective arrogance or hubris among established cult members. They see themselves as part of an elite, and look down rather sniffily upon the mores and values of established mainstream institutions.

If you criticise a cult member, this may just encourage their tendency to see themselves (their old self) as flawed, and may push them further into the cult. If you criticise their church or group, the cult-member will go into cult-self mode and will see your criticisms as tending to confirm the cult's warnings about the outside world and its negative effects.

A better approach may be to acknowledge and encourage a cult member's old self, without criticising or threatening the new cult self. If a cult member feels valued in themselves, and their old self does not feel devalued, then this weakens the cult's attraction for them.

Date: May 29, 2010 09:24AM

[www.spotlightministries.org.uk]

God is such a gracious and loving God. He didn't give up on me or my husband but forgave us for all of our sins. We both accepted Jesus into our hearts and have been trying to find ways to share our testimony with others. As we try to reach out to those people who were at the course while we were, we find many who have been so deceived into thinking that this ordinary man is the way to truth and enlightenment. Many are willing to give 10% of their monthly gross income to this man for a year long course consisting of 30 minute phone calls and exercises to practice. He will allow you to come stay on his land for two weeks and provide you with a tent for a mere $6000 - all to gain this enlightenment that he claims to have.

I fear for those people who are so easily deceived as we once were. I pray for their souls that more Christians will reach out to these people to lead them away from the darkness and deception into the light that only Jesus Christ can offer. Pray for these people. Pray for the two children who are being raised by this man away from any chance of knowing the one true way to Salvation- our Lord Jesus Christ. Pray that the light will expose the evil behind this "angel of enlightenment". Pray for my husband and myself as we grow in our Christian faith and try to reach those who are lost.

I came upon an article about cult movements and their mind control techniques. I was not looking for these answers but God provided them to me. As I read more and more and researched site after site, I woke up to the realization that an evil presence had entered into my life, my marriage and my home. I went to my appointment the next day upset and disillusioned. My psychologist whom I trust and respect helped me to see what a fraudulent scheme had been placed into my life. I feared going home trying to talk with my husband for fear that he would not hear the truth that I had to tell. That same day, my husband received a phone call from a man who had attended the course. It turned out that he was a state investigator working for the agency that investigates businesses that practice without proper licenses. Not only did this man have a criminal investigation background, he was a Christian with a very strong faith in God. After I poured out my heart to my husband, I saw the man that I married for the first time in several months - no more delusions. He told me about the call he received from Tim and we both talked with him that night. He shared with us his faith and prayers that he had said while we were all attending that workshop. God had sent an angel to protect us while we were there.

Posted by: wherefromhere ()
Date: May 29, 2010 03:15PM

OMG! Get your own forum ostra. Do one post instead of 500. What is up? Someone check out UGM website? What a joke. Sorry M & C dont see much on your event page. God is a judge, and I think you are being judged. Anyone else think so?

Date: May 29, 2010 07:29PM

wherefromhere
To correct myself, i have listed 44 names, I believe there are only 2 or 3 more. Sorry for the inacuracy which I am sure Mike is on here counting. And Whatajoke, you are so correct in assuming that Mike has not spent any real time with these other churches except maybe the Surigao one, where he has gone on mission trips maybe 3 or 4 time and spending 10 days or less with the people. I believe Mike and Cyndi combined have only visited the Skagit church plant a total of 4 times in 17 months? hmmmm and so geographically close too. Do the Skagit Valley church even know who their apostle and prophet are? Is there relationship there, so he could come and severely correct them like he talked about Paul doing to the Corinthians, although we all know he severely rebuked the staff of TP telling them they didnt love well and they were the reason the church wasnt growing. People!!!! ask about that! Again, I say sad state of affairs apostle Mike. He really does need to stop exargerating his position. Sadly he didnt fill the role as pastor well, him or his wife. The people really never did feel loved. I believe someone else spent a great deal of their time convincing the flock, staff, deacons and even elders that he loved and cared for them in his own way. He is mocking God at this point, and fortunately and unfortunately for all God's children, God will not be mocked. Peace out fellow sheep!

What does OMG stand for ? If posting information is considered judgemental this post of yours was.........? Have a great weekend !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 07:50PM by ostracizedone.

Date: May 29, 2010 09:37PM

"Excited for all the TPC Ladies attending Lisa Bevere conference this weekend. No Fan t Flame tonight. Men's 8am tomorrow-see u there.
12:26 PM May 21st via Echofon"-Jeff Barnes

SOME TRUTH ON A SLIPPERY SLOPE, May 16 2004
By G. Maxwell (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: UNDER COVER by JOHN BEVERE (Paperback)
Although there may be some truth in John Bevere's book, his other books and the tone which he uses to get his points across cause me some concern.
John Bevere has always seen a wide gulf between the ministry gifts and the "layman", demanding that the lay person submit to those in authority. And as I stated in my other reviews of Bevere's books, he has you losing your salvation for some reason in practically every one of his books.

With this said I offer a few observations.

First, every believer is a priest. He can deal with his own sins and does not need an intercessor between him and God. Though there are ministry gifts, there is no biblical support that we are to submit even when the Pastor is wrong. This isn't right. The truth is we are to seek the Word and the Spirit of God and get direction when a minister is wrong--not blindly obey. We have a responsibility to be watchful. And if a ministry gift is in error, each and every believer has a right to take action accordingly. The key is to do it with love and respect. Bevere seems to think that we can't even do this without the errant minister's consent. Give me a break.

Addtionally, teaching of this kind is positioned on a slippery slope. Where will it end? Ministers who want to "lord it over" the flock love this kind of teaching.

Is there a middle ground? Thank God there is--and Bevere isn't positioned on it.

We are to submit to those whom God has placed over us in love. We are to respect these ministry gifts as they are placed there by God. But the fact that they are a gift of God to the body doesn't make them a "covering" per se. I can't find any concept of "covering" in the New Testament. And if this covering concept were taken to its logical end, then we would have a pope-like individual in the body of Christ because a covering supposes being under the authority of someone else, and two people cannot be "covering" for each other. I like what Kenneth Hagin said about this: he said that Jesus was his covering and that he needed no other.

Be careful with teaching like this as it has caused much abuse in the church. And unfortunately, some preachers use this type of teaching to get their way instead of leading by the Holy Spirit.

The only covering you need is Jesus--because any other "covering" is fallible and unbiblical.

SHEPARDING DISCIPILSHIP ERROR RESURFACING YET AGAIN?, Aug 23 2003
By Charles E. Fowler "author" (Colorado Springs, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)

This review is from: Under Cover (Paperback)
Peter did not get permission or "covering" to go to the Gentiles. Paul did not seek "covering" from anyone for his ministry. He went out under the Lord. Later, he did check in on the brethren with love and tenderness. There is no biblical basis for this teaching. We need to look to the Word of God instead of the teachings of men. "Under Cover" is a teaching of men. It is easy to try to make the scripture fit our dogmatic ideas. We need to get back to the pure Word of God.
ACTS 8:5; "Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them."

THIS BOOK FEEDS THE SPIRIT OF CONTROL OVER GOD'S CHILDREN, May 24 2003
By A Customer

This review is from: Under Cover (Paperback)
If your church leaders have a spirit of control then this book will feed that spirit and give them even more positional power over church members.
I think that books like this is exactly what church leadership is looking for to make the church members servants and make church leaders their masters or lords.

On top of page 101 in "Under Cover" Bevere quotes scripture as saying:

Servants [employees, church members, civilians, etc.] respectfully obey your earthly masters [employers, church leaders, civil authorities, etc.].... (Eph. 6:5-8)

I was floored when I read that. I had to double check to make sure scripture didn't include what was in the brackets like Bevere did. So church members are servants and church leaders are their masters. I think that the above verse says it all about the direction of this book. That word master is the same word for Lord. I'm sorry but I serve only one Lord.

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS WRONG AND UNBIBLICAL ABOUT THIS BOOK AS NOTED BY THE OTHER POSTS THAT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT.

AFTER BRINGING UP MY CONCERNS ABOUT THIS BOOK TO THE PASTOR I WAS TOLD THAT I COULDN'T COME BACK TO CHURCH.

NOW WHY WOULD TPWOC WANT YOU TO READ AND LISTEN TO UNBIBLICAL TEACHINGS AND TEACHERS THAT PUT YOU UNDER THE "COVER" OF FALLABLE MEN WHEN TRUE SALVATION IS ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH JESUS , AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT THAT ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 09:45PM by ostracizedone.

Date: May 30, 2010 12:41AM

wherefromhere
OMG! Get your own forum ostra. Do one post instead of 500. What is up? Someone check out UGM website? What a joke. Sorry M & C dont see much on your event page. God is a judge, and I think you are being judged. Anyone else think so?

I kinda agree ostra not about getting your own forum site, but we are being swamped with imformation on cults, I have to wade through the same imformation written by someone else on cults when I myself(and I admit its not about me) like to read peoples personal experiences with turning point. I think we know tp is unhealthy. When I see all your posts I cant help but think you are really hurt. unfortunatly for us, we have to live by Gods standards even if leaders of a church we use to go to don't. for our own sanity we MUST forgive, that doesnt mean we have to support them anymore but we must forgive and pray that God opens their eyes. to keep pointing a million things that points to something we already know seems counterproductive.

Posted by: buddy ()
Date: May 30, 2010 12:53AM

TP Church Skagit Valley fearless Dave Lusters sermon from last weeks freedom series on great faith has me a little confused and I am still trying to figure it out.

Dave says that the Holy Spirit does not convict you of sin. ( in beginning of sermon and from last week)

Dave says that the Word of faith movement in what they promote is that God is good and his word is good, but your not and you need to declare on the goodness of God.
Dave says, thats not true, I tell you that incase someone accuse me of being word of faith. I heard them talk bad about word of faith people before. You believe someone is going to give you a Harley, there is some word of faith. ( around 12:39 into sermon)

(Later around 20:18) Dave says people that think I am a heretic for using the bible. I throw that out there for all those who listen to my sermon and post them on the internet forums and bad mouth me. Are we having fun at church yet.

I did my best to try and write down what Dave said but my hearing is bad so I hope I heard him right.

Dave attended the Word of Faith conference at Casey Treats in March and just had a false word of faith teacher from TPCWOC Market Place Ministry come and give a sermon a few weeks ago on how to become a frickin billionare.

Now is Dave trying to distance himself from the word of faith because of the pressure of the Forum.

Dave what other doctrines of the word of faith movement are not true? What doctrines that your spiritual father false Apostle Mike taught you that are not true?
On the Holy Spirit the bible is helpful to us in pointing out man's various sins, and the Holy Spirit is quick to convict us concerning any unconfessd sin in our lives.
Dave I am trying to understand what you are teaching.
Lets have a open debate on these very important doctrines. I invite you to have the courage to come on the Forum so we can have a healthy discussion.
You have Gods Word and if I or some one else has called you a heretic for what you beleve in. Please help us understand your position on all the false doctrines that the TP church has been accused of.

Posted by: buddy ()
Date: May 30, 2010 01:20PM

I was at the christian book store today and looked at the book "Destined to Reign" by Joseph Prince, the secret to effortless success, wholeness and victorious living. Dave Luster came up with that the Holy Spirit does not convict you of sin from this book and has been pushing it and wants everbody to read it.

(on page 134) Does the Holy Spirit convict you of sin? That is a very good question and the answer is really simple. Now pay attention to this because it will liberate you. The bottom line is the Holy Spirit never convicts you of your sin.

(on page 139) For generations, the body of Christ has been defeated and put under a constant siege of condemnation from the accuser because they believe wrongly that the Holy Spirit convicts believers of their sins.

( I don't know about you but when the Holy Spirit convicts me of my personal sin, I go to 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I looked up a book by Bill Bright," The Holy Spirit" the key to supernatural living. And Bill Bright says that the Holy Spirit does convict (believers) you of sin. Dave is getting his false doctrines from a book like his spiritual father the false Apostle Mike who came up with the double honor stuff and the covering of the apostle from a book. Jeff Rock Barnes is now on this possibilty thinking conquest and now fearless Dave Luster is getting all goofy. Bill Bright and Joseph Prince can not be both right on the Holy Spirit. One of them is wrong. Which one is wrong? I have been a christian for a long time and the Holy Spirit seems to makes me aware of my sin more now then before , i believe so I can confess it and be cleansed. If my thinking on this is off base please correct me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.