Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: GLH ()
Date: March 14, 2004 11:01PM

I am trying to find any information concerning complaints of abuse, misconduct, or cultish activities being performed by the Unity Church. Any response is welcome.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 14, 2004 11:25PM

Unity is a very open place. Many self help groups (eg 12 Step meetings) lease meeting rooms at Unity churches.

This applies to other churches, too.

This hospitality could potentially be abused by persons and groups with ulterior motives if they lease space for meetings and events at a Unity church, or any other church.. In such a case, the church would not know what was being done.

When bills have to be paid and the local economy is depressed, its hard to refuse if a person or group asks to rent space at your facility.

A few persons who get involved with Unity could be fed up with traditional organized religions. Some members might cling to positive thinking and resent any reminder that critical thinking is important and should not be rejected--a stance that could make them vulnerable.

*This emotional dogmatism may not itself be cultic, but it could 'soften a person up', making him or her more vulnerable to some wolf in sheeps clothing leasing a meeting room from Unity--or another church .

Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: randomfactor ()
Date: May 17, 2004 11:54PM

I agree Unity Church tends to be very open and sometimes awfully trusting. It has become, however, a place a new cult is operating. Basically, the general beliefs of the New Age have now been codified into a single belief system, and members of this group are using the "Spiritual" churches to gain converts.

THis would not present a problem if this codified belief system were seen as a religion. Unfortunately, however, it is contained on a civil test for civil licensure used in the majority of States. So this group has suddenly become a harsh cult, totally convinced their beliefs are the only beliefs in history to have the "approval" of a majority of the United States.

Only finished for two years now, this group is growing by leaps and bounds. And has proclaimed it's beliefs now take precedence over both Freedom of Religion and Separation of Church and State.

So yes, there is a real problem exploding in the Spiritual Churches.

Random Factor

Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: joannabenz ()
Date: December 18, 2004 09:32AM

In my experience, Unity is totally a church for free thinkers. They do not have dogma, welcome other religions, and never force a minister's beliefs or a speaker's beliefs on anyone.

This is a "do-it-yourself" religion, and people are expected to accept some teachings and disregard others, as they see fit. The object is to look at the teachings as theories, and prove to youself whether they work or not.

Over the past 20 years, I have found such freedom immensely supportive, inspiring and uplifting.

However, I must also say that the potential for abuse exists anywhere, and depends a great deal on the specific minister and geographic location.

I personally am a Spiritualist. But the Spiritualist churches here in Colorado bear absolutely no resemblance to those in New England, for example.

Joanna Benz

Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: supermonkey ()
Date: December 29, 2004 12:26AM

spiritualism like unity is a cult that con people and lead people into believing in a false god and nonexistant spirit world.
Wake up people and see that they may not hold brainwashing sessions in a harsh manner they may be all so new agey and nice but the niceness and the lies they teach do NOT encourage critical thinking.
Free thinkers DO NOT follow this type of new age hodge podge!! Free thinkers do not get involved with cults

harmless maybe it seems this way if you want to be unscientific and believe in santa claus and spiritualism in colorodo it the same as in new england as they in both places cheat people and pretend to communicate with the dead. james randi who is a REAL FREETHINKER has debunked many of these phonie cheaters. Ask him what he thinks of unity spiritualism and other christian fairy tales.

Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: Toni ()
Date: January 01, 2005 02:43AM

supermonkey
Free thinkers do not get involved with cults

Don't we wish it was so black and white?

According to AFF, the premier nonsecterian, academic & professional group that resarches cults and thought reforms, the 'average' cult member (if there is such) is of higher than intelligence than the population mean.

No one 'joins' saying "Hey - sign me up to relinquish my free time, work for you unpaid, neglect my family, and lose the ability to weigh out my own life decisions!" The process is slow and insidious.

IMHO, as corboy wrote above, UNITY church per se does not apply thought reform methods. They are however very open to all forms of 'truth', and that sometimes they unknowlingly rent their facilities to less than reputable groups. They have to pay their mortgage too.

For more information on how thought reform takes place, and gradually the person becomes part of the groupthink, and slowly without realizing it, ceases to be a free thinker :

[culteducation.com]

www.csj.org

Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: Gold Dust ()
Date: January 01, 2005 12:08PM

I went to a few spiritualist church, when is a step beyond Unity... they advertise and support TALKING TO THE DEAD.... yea... what I saw there when I attended a few classes is blaten GAMES... they teach you how to be a FACK READER... .and the word PSYCHIC is a bad word to them.

They say all of their messages come from the dead loved onces who come back to this world to give you messages and help...

Seems to me to be mostly a bunch of mombo jumbo.... some of these guys are great actors and actresses.... but they truly are all fakes. The big problem that I also saw there was, people schedule appointments and actually pay money to commune with their dead ones... smile.

Hokey Pokie

Unity Church - A Cult?
Posted by: joannabenz ()
Date: January 01, 2005 03:35PM

I can see how you might think that Spiritualism is a cult if you are unable to see spirits. I started exhibiting my psychic abilities as a very small child. And no, I was not influenced by anyone else. In fact, I was the only "weird" one in my family.

All of us have some form of psychic abilities, even if they only show up in dreams. But each of us has our own path to Truth. If psychic phenomena and seeing spirits are a part of that, then your studies will lead you that way and you will develop these abilites. If you choose a more common, and socially acceptable, form of religion, then your studies will take you in a different direction.

If you are truly a "free thinker," then you will not dismiss what you do not understand and have never investigated. Our world is full of things that the common man and the scientist cannot explain. And some of us are simply trying to understand the "unexplainable." That is a very individual journey.

Unity Church - A Cult?
Date: January 01, 2005 10:49PM

I am very sorry if I over stepped on your toes, yes, I will acknowledge that some do have the ability to KNOW and communicate... but when you are reading their dead loved ones, you are only picking up the EMOTIONS THOUGTHS of the person you are reading for.

Your totally mis understood my post... I have seen Auros and been extremely intuitive since I was a child....

What I was talking about was the GAME of SPIRITUALISM... and it is a game, believe me, I have watched the many FAKES play a game very well.. They also pay the game of 10 questions and when they get one right... they focus in on that one and then say, spirit told them.

Part of the reason I had gotton so caught up in the many cults that I have been involved in was my Intuitive abilities, I wanted to understand HOW DID I KNOW THINGS... and why did I see into the etheric worlds.

In addition, I was a computer programmer, and when I had problems, I would go to sleep and be taken to places in the dream state that would teach me and show me programming.... when I would wake up, all of a sudden I would KNOW exactly what to do withoug reading a book...

It was as if I was DOWNLOADED with information... later during deeper states of meditation, I would be downloaded with lots of stuff.

So you do not understand at all the point I was making. I have been with many of the so called Spiritualies and they put a BLACK or RED Mask on and pretend to KNOW who you are name etc. is on a piece of paper. when in fact, the mask has tiny pin holes in them and they are READING the paper.

I have much experince in TRUE Spiritualize and the FAKES and frauds...

Sorry to have upset your apple cart.

Blessings,

Unity Church - A Cult?
Date: January 01, 2005 10:51PM

In addition, true spiritualist will GIVE THERE WORK of the spirt for free... it will not be a money making business like so many make it.

These gifts are the added thing in your life, a blessings from spirit.

This is the point, for many spiritualist, it is all about money.!!!!!

Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.