Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Set Free South Dakota
Date: June 26, 2008 11:07AM

Dear rrmoderator,
Set Free South Dakota has a democratically elected board. No Pastor is on the board, no board member receives a salary of any kind. Pastor Al gets a housing allowance of $400 a MONTH (it used to be $200 a month until he recently lost his production job after 15 years). There are no paid positions. Pastor Al lives in a home that is LESS than 1,000 sq. ft. I have seen detailed financial reports, they are handed out at open church business meetings. I thought this was a "fair" forum. Hmmmm. Set Free South Dakota is under a strong and gladly voluntary umbrella of spiritual, financial and relational accountability to the Southern Baptists. Are you saying that the Southern Baptist Convention is a fly-by-night flim flam? The Set Free South Dakota Treasurer is meticulous in his record-keeping, any and all expenditures (even by a pastor) have to be pre-approved by the board in order to be reimbursed. Pastor Al is well-respected by all who know him. The real lack of accountability seems to be with this forum. A local reporter from the Argus Leader did an investigative two-part article on Pastor Al and his past history and his last two decades of helping anyone and everyone who ever asked. The reporter was given your site information, but you were not forthcoming with any substantiated information regarding Set Free South Dakota. Set Free operates with their real names. They don't snipe blindly and dishonestly in anonymity, hiding behind hearsay or innuendo. Bottom line is I will continue to serve God the best way I know how: face to face, shoulder to shoulder in faith and truth, always. I just got back from a mission trip to St Bernard's Parrish in New Orleans. I was part of 300 volunteers who cleared 3 football fields worth of debris to give kids a place to play that was safe and beautiful in the the area hit hardest by Hurricane Katrina. That was the most heart-breaking, yet breath-taking time of my life. This is the way I want to serve God. By helping people who need it. That's why Set Free South Dakota is so appealing to me. Its never about whats in it for me, its always about what more can we do? Tonight, I bought pizza (with my last $30) for a group of people who had less than I did. I've mentioned in previous postings that I work for a non-profit, United Way sponsored agency. My life was and is completely changed because I met a man named Pastor Al and he shared Jesus with me. In turn, I will change lives....I have already changed lives. I believe the Pay It Forward Principle. The world CAN be changed and it starts with one person helping another. NOT one person tearing another down. God loves EVERYONE, don't you wish people could be the same way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 26, 2008 08:10PM

In Faith and Truth:

How is the democratically elected board you cite put in place?

Describe the democratic process.

Is there a general election that includes all members of "South Dakota Set Free" voting by secret ballot?

Is this process of democratic elections explicitly set forth in the constitution and bylaws of SD Set Free and conducted on a regular basis? What is the term an elected board member serves? How often are elections held?

Can the board fire Pastor Al?

Does Pastor Al have the power to dismiss board members?

Is the treasurer of SD Set Free elected to his office as treasurer, or is he appointed?

How can he be dismissed?

How is this set forth and explained within SD Set Free's constitution and bylaws?

Is there a published annual financial report distributed to all contributors by SD Set Free, which discloses how all the money is spent in detail?

Is there an annual financial report of SD Set Free, which is independently audited by an outside accounting firm?

When you say "voluntary umbrella of spiritual, financial and relational accountability" what does that mean specifically?

Does "voluntary" mean that SD Set Free may choose to ignore and not go along with whatever their "umbrella" the Southern Baptist Convention advises or suggests?

Does the Southern Baptist Convention specifically have the power to dismiss Pastor Al and/or any of SD Set Free board members?

What links does SD Set Free have to Phil Aguilar and Set Free in California?

See [www.culteducation.com]

Please help people that view this board better understand how leaders like Pastor Al at SD Set Free are actually held accountable and what meaningful system of checks and balances exists as expressed through a written constitution, bylaws, democratically elected government and published, audited and distributed financial reports.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 08:15PM by rrmoderator.

Date: June 27, 2008 09:53PM

Dear rrmoderator,
Set Free SoDak is still considered a mission work of Ridgecrest Southern Baptist Church. Set Free SoDak is currently working on constituting as a church with the help and guidance of the Southern Baptists. I have to admit "I only know what I know," so I am going to bring your questions to our first constitutional planning meeting this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing the questions that need to be discussed and answered. This is totally a God thing because Set Free SoDak really wants to be above reproach or doubt. I'm not sure how many meetings, 2-3 is my guess, (I'm such an optimist :o) it will take to iron out everything that needs to be put in place. I'm pretty sure that Set Free SoDak has never been audited by an outside firm because we have only been a mission work for 2 years on June 3rd, and we really never thought that what little money was received should go toward something like that. As Set Free SoDak grows and (hopefully) becomes more financially solvent, I can definitely see the wisdom in transparency on all levels. I apologize for my flash of temper in my posting last night. I really do appreciate the questions you have raised and I will be working diligently to get the answers as soon as possible.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 27, 2008 11:33PM

In Faith and Truth:

Looking forward to your detailed response to those questions.

But is "Set Free South Dakota" completely separate and disconnected from "Set Free" run by Phil Aguilar in California?

This is a very important distinction.

Aguilar is a very controversial figure with a deeply troubled history.

Date: August 25, 2008 09:10AM

Some are interested in hearing the responses to the moderators questions. These are quite direct and legitimate things to ask any fair, open organization.
If these can't be answered in an open manner, it is one organization I would be leary of.

My postings on this thread are only my opinions. You have a right to yours. May your God bless you.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.