Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Posted by: agdaquiz ()
Date: January 10, 2007 06:26AM

Have you ever heard of Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

Posted by: malleeboy ()
Date: January 10, 2007 08:13AM

Isn't he married to "Sweet Caroline"?

Is this supposed to be a joke or is there a real person of that name?[/img]

Posted by: kath ()
Date: January 10, 2007 09:18AM

Of course. It was a craze in about 1999, everyone was nagged to read it. I never really got into it.

What do you think of it?

Posted by: kath ()
Date: January 10, 2007 11:29AM

I was presuming you meant the New Age book by Richard Bach.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 11, 2007 12:18AM

I think it really captured what was going on in the 1970's and it makes sense that it is still a classic and widely available book. Individualism, striving to improve, to transcend, to move away from the organized "flock"... I was hoping to hear what others thought of the book and what about society today makes it still relevant.

Posted by: Gulab Jamon ()
Date: January 11, 2007 02:12AM

Yes, it's a really good book. They also made a movie out of it, which I happen to have on VHS. The movie is not as good as the book, in my opinion.

Do you have a specific question about it?

Date: January 12, 2007 06:38AM

Just interested in random thoughts people may have about the themes raised in the book. Does it speak to relationship of organized religion and individualism or am I just reading too much into it?

Posted by: Jack Oskar Larm ()
Date: January 22, 2007 02:15PM

Seagull, Celestine Prophecy, The Alchemist...perhaps I would have enjoyed them more with pictures. You'll find them in the 'light and fluffy' reading section of your local bookstore or library.

Perhaps, they're just too spiritual for me. I don't mind all the self-improvement themes (the constant repetition), but they tend to lay it on pretty thick. So thick that the characters are buried in sentimental hyperbole...

It sells well, so who am I to disagree. :wink:

Re: Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Posted by: golfer6716 ()
Date: February 07, 2008 12:09PM

It was a GREAT book written in the 70's about a Seagull that didn't want to be boxed in by the traditional fundamentalist beliefs of his flock.

What a great story for today.

Re: Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Posted by: freedom fighter ()
Date: February 09, 2008 12:50PM

I remember reading that book a long time ago when I was home sick. Ill from a flu or ill from the stress of the cult I was stuck in-I wasn't sure.

I stayed in bed all day and picked up that book for the first time and read it thru. It was my mom's book. She had it sitting around for along time. I recall that it gave me an escape for a day from my horrid reality at the time. I rather enjoyed the book. I was really depressed that day, and found it uplifting and inspiring.

FF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.