How is Christianity not a cult??
Posted by: AresCassell ()
Date: November 19, 2006 10:56AM

OK, i realize that i am going to accused of being a troll or a heckler, but i am very serious about what i am about to say. The more i look into it, christianity seems very much like a widely accepted cult. Here's why:

1. Cults are always actively and aggressively trying to recruit new members. Christianity always tries to proselytize. Even to such an extent that they send missionaries to other countries.

2. Cults often turn you against other belief systems. Christians often call other religions "false" and "of the devil" and that christianity is the "only true path". Cults often claim they are the only true path.

3. While in the cult, the cult makes you feel insignificant and in need of the cult. Christianity makes you feel that without it, you are unsaved and in the dark.

4. Cults are often based on the teachings of a man or woman seen as a demigod (L ron hubbard of scientology) and his or her teachings are often taken literally and without question. Does Jesus ring a bell?

5. Cults keep you occupied by turning you against an enemy that either doesnt really exist (such as a conspiracy theory) or can never really be destroyed (like scientology's war against psychiatry). Christianity keeps you in the cult by turning you against a supposed enemy called "satan".

6. Last but not least, cults try to keep you from leaving the cult, often by fear and intimidation. Christians keep you christian by saying if you leave christianity, you'll burn in hell forever.

I am in no way trying to insult the beliefs of christians. However, I would never insult scientology to a scientologist either. I truly believe that the only reason we dont consider christianity a cult is because of bias, as it is widely accepted. Some feedback would be appreciated. That is, as long as it isn't of insults, or attempted conversions. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 19, 2006 09:02PM

You seem to be specifically referring to fundamentalist or evangelical Christians.

Most Christians don't follow the teachings that you describe.

But fundamentalist or evangelical Christians would not fit the definition of a "cult."

See [www.culteducation.com]

[b:57b8222a6e]Psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton, who wrote the definitive book about thought reform (often called "brainwashing") also wrote a paper about cult formation. Lifton defined a cult as having the following three characteristics: [/b:57b8222a6e]

A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.

Very few evangelical or fundamentalist Christian churches would fall into the category "potentially unsafe" as defined by the following "warning signs."

[b:57b8222a6e]Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.
Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability. [/b:57b8222a6e]

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Scientology, which has often been called a "cult" and also potentially safe would fall within all these criteria.

Time Magazine cover story May 1991...

[b:57b8222a6e]"Scientology the Cult of Greed"[/b:57b8222a6e]

There are groups that profess Christian beliefs and claim the bible as their authority, which have been called "cults," due to the above cited criteria such as "Children of God," "The Tridentine Latin Rite Church" and the "International Church of Christ."

See the following:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: elena ()
Date: November 20, 2006 02:00AM

AresCassell
OK, i realize that i am going to accused of being a troll or a heckler, but i am very serious about what i am about to say. The more i look into it, christianity seems very much like a widely accepted cult. Here's why:

1. Cults are always actively and aggressively trying to recruit new members. Christianity always tries to proselytize. Even to such an extent that they send missionaries to other countries.

2. Cults often turn you against other belief systems. Christians often call other religions "false" and "of the devil" and that christianity is the "only true path". Cults often claim they are the only true path.

3. While in the cult, the cult makes you feel insignificant and in need of the cult. Christianity makes you feel that without it, you are unsaved and in the dark.

4. Cults are often based on the teachings of a man or woman seen as a demigod (L ron hubbard of scientology) and his or her teachings are often taken literally and without question. Does Jesus ring a bell?

5. Cults keep you occupied by turning you against an enemy that either doesnt really exist (such as a conspiracy theory) or can never really be destroyed (like scientology's war against psychiatry). Christianity keeps you in the cult by turning you against a supposed enemy called "satan".

6. Last but not least, cults try to keep you from leaving the cult, often by fear and intimidation. Christians keep you christian by saying if you leave christianity, you'll burn in hell forever.

I am in no way trying to insult the beliefs of christians. However, I would never insult scientology to a scientologist either. I truly believe that the only reason we dont consider christianity a cult is because of bias, as it is widely accepted. Some feedback would be appreciated. That is, as long as it isn't of insults, or attempted conversions. Thanks!

Hi AresCassell,

I personally think all religions are cults, or cult-like, and it's really a matter of degree by which they can be measured of various criteria, the main one being the abuse or expoitation of lower-level members. Mostly, as far as public perception or convention is concerned, Christianity isn't considered a cult because of the large number of people who call themselves Christians. By definition, cults are small, exclusive, and marginalized. Early Christianity can be and is certainly considered a cult, but for purposes of discussion, once religions grow into major proportions, they no longer fit the cult definition.

All the major religions have cult or sect-like factions, offshoots, and splinter groups and this certainly includes Christianity as well as Judaism, and Islam.

Ellen

Posted by: yasmin ()
Date: November 20, 2006 02:49AM

i agree .Sometimes I find it hard to not see all religions as cult-like in some ways.Everytime a Christian explains that if you don't follow the bible literally you are going to hell,( or a version thereof) I wince, though I realize that these can be mainstream beliefs, and that most religions require dedication from followers .
Then again, everyone has a right to believe what they wish, and find strength from it if they can. Form an outsiders point of view, not having lived in the groups, some groups mentioned here do not seem that much more intolerant than some mainstream groups. Others, of course, scare me silly.
At the same time, as soon as someone starts talking about a teacher /leader /pastor who knows all the answers and has strict rules to follow, that sets off major alarm bells.I tend to feel that when a religion makes you less kind( the rest of the world is evil and does not deserve your compassion)/ hate or mis-treat your relatives( they aren't saved and don't count)/ and takes away your ability to decide things for yourself( leader always knows best), that is where religion becomes dangerous.

Posted by: drivingthecar ()
Date: November 27, 2006 09:28PM

Seems to me quite a few fundamentalist/evangelical organizations DO fall into the category of "potentially unsafe" based on those very guidelines you quoted.

Fundies often have charismatic church leaders.

They are taught not to question the ultimate authority, the Bible (but this is actually the intepretation of the Bible by the charismatic leader).

They believe in the end times (unreasonable fear).

People who leave go to Hell.

Furthermore, many evangelical leaders have been caught in numerous sex/financial scandals.

The list goes on and on.

I believe fundamentalist Christianity is one of the biggest dangers facing our nation today. How on earth is it "safe"? It teaches people not to think, starts recruiting people VERY young (Jesus Camp), and tells people they'll be banished to eternal Hell for not following orders.

rrmoderator
Very few evangelical or fundamentalist Christian churches would fall into the category "potentially unsafe" as defined by the following "warning signs."

[b:9f90b265bd]Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.
Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability. [/b:9f90b265bd]

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Scientology, which has often been called a "cult" and also potentially safe would fall within all these criteria.

Time Magazine cover story May 1991...

[b:9f90b265bd]"Scientology the Cult of Greed"[/b:9f90b265bd]

There are groups that profess Christian beliefs and claim the bible as their authority, which have been called "cults," due to the above cited criteria such as "Children of God," "The Tridentine Latin Rite Church" and the "International Church of Christ."

See the following:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

Date: November 27, 2006 09:58PM

drivingthecar:

The previously posted warning signs took this into account.

Most fundamentalist Christian churches have democratically elected church government, which provides checks and balances regarding a charismatic leader.

For example, Pastor Ted Haggard was recently removed from leadership and evangelist Jimmy Swaggert was expelled from the Assemblies of God.

A "cult" doesn't have democratically elected government with such meaningful accountability and is instead totalitarian, its form of government is dictatorship.

The issue is not belief, but rather behavior, which objectively defines a destructive cult.

Despite your strong feelings about the dangers of fundamentalism, such theology does not define a group as a "cult."

Date: November 27, 2006 10:07PM

But then by your own definition a lot of the organizatons criticized here and on this website are not cults.

Landmark Education is no longer fronted by a charismatic leader. I'll bet a lot of Landmark attendees don't even know who the founder is.

Tony Robbins certainly doesn't create fear and doom in people.

Many things here criticized as cults do not follow all the warning signals to a t.

I am wondering why, then, fundamentalist Christianity is being apologized for.

A destruction organization can have a so-called "democratically elected" government and still be practicing mind control.

I had a friend who had to extricate himself from a huge evangelical church in Texas. They told him what to think, what to wear, what to eat and drink (no alcohol), how to date, etc. He had tremendous pressure from the church all the time on how to live his life. It was a big deal for him to leave. And this is a major church with 20,000+ people attending each week.

Date: November 27, 2006 10:40PM

drivingthecar:

See the disclaimer linked from every page within the website.

[www.culteducation.com]

See the disclaimer linked regarding this message board

[board.culteducation.com]

Many of the groups or leaders listed at the Ross Institute database are not "cults," but rather controversial groups or movements, as specified by the introduction at the entry Home page and the disclaimer.

For example, Christian Fundamentalists are listed.

Date: November 27, 2006 10:44PM

OK, but even if they don't fit the full definition, some might be dangerous and are fair game for discussion here, no?

It's just been my personal experience that fundamentalist Christians - many of them very nice people - are some of the most brainwashed folks I've ever met.

Date: November 27, 2006 11:59PM

drivingthecar:

You might want to break off from here and open a thread that is very specifically focused on that topic.

This thread is being closed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.