Fr. Ephraim's monasteries
Posted by: petros53 ()
Date: September 27, 2003 06:37PM

just discovered this site and this forum. Looks good! What does anyone know about the latest with Fr. Ephraim's monasteries?

For those who are not familiar with this Greek Orthodox cult, please see what R. Ross has on the website. Another mother contacted us last week extremely angry and hurt. Her daughter entered one of E.'s convents last year. It seems to be the pattern that the individual leaves home without a word, the parents are alarmed and begin searching for their loved one, find the loved one in a monastery and convent, and then run into walls (bishops, metropolitans, archbishop, patriarch) trying to ask questions and get answers to WHY? The novices are told to hate their parents (Luke 14:26)--yes, the Bible uses the word "hate." And yet the families are hesitant to speak out publicly for fear that their loved one will be removed to an undisclosed convent or even to a convent in Greece. There's also a stigma attached to speaking out in the Greek-American culture.

Another interesting point is the $$$$$$$$$ involved in Ephraim's cult. His main monastery is located in Florence, Arizona and is a beautiful structure--more like a resort in the desert (without the pool). A convent in Wisconsin is building a $10 million structure. Where does all this money come from? From fanatic Greek-Americans who want to "preserve" a way of life they remember from Greece and from those who believe that E. has all the answers. Money poured into his building program is money that GO parishes are losing and needing for their programs and growth. And yet the bishops and metropolitans say nothing because....I think they're afraid of that little monk--they don't want to rock the boat. I believe one bishop (in Boston area?) refuses to allow E. to locate a convent/monastery in his area.

Another website: [www.pokrov.org] also has some information on this cult. That website is a watchdog for abuse, both sexual and cultic, within the Orthodox Churches.

Posted by: economan ()
Date: May 28, 2004 10:22AM

I believe that is Metropolitan Methodios of Boston who is anti-Ephraim.
I also thought the Met. of Canada was against him, but apparently they have also started up there as well.

I used to be aquainted with some Orthodox who were [i:4708569dc5]very[/i:4708569dc5] big into EE.
I've also visited one of his monasteries three time.

I would definately avoid his network of monasteries.[/i]

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: November 21, 2004 11:17AM

A list of articles published in the Greek-American press and other sources can be read here. This website was created by and for Orthodox Christians.

[www.pokrov.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.