Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
confused about New Thought
Posted by: randomfactor ()
Date: July 24, 2006 11:41PM

Mindful:

If something feels wrong for you, go with that feeling.

New Thought sounds great, with all it's "positivity" and upbeat thought. But it covers up a lot of growing problems (in my opinion).

I think you are smart to back off and take a breather.

Rand

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mindful ()
Date: July 25, 2006 10:37AM

Thanks Rand,

I am finding more and more contradictions in doctorin. I don't think it's all bad, just not right for me.

Posted by: randomfactor ()
Date: July 28, 2006 12:58PM

mindful:

Don't feel bad that you find contradictions and that bothers you. It's a growing experience.

I got involved in a very cult-like situation because freinds urged me to ignore the contradictions and "go along." It ended up damaging me far more than if I had just walked away much earlier.

New Thought seems to be going through a change, becoming more assertive and at times militant. I attribute a lot of that to the fact some New Thought spiritual beliefs are being recognized in civil law, thanks to Massage Therapy, where many New Thought folks have found a home. One seems to set off the other and both are getting a bit scary because of it.

I've found it best to just avoid the whole situation.

I think you are wise to see the problems and just avoid it. I agree it's not all bad. But it's not what you want, and that's the important thing.

Rand

Posted by: ImA60sRelic ()
Date: August 02, 2006 05:48AM

To answer your question, I do believe some of the teachings. However I have discovered some real contradictions in the dogma. One example is how you are considered "Perfect as you are" While at the same time there is an underlying message that you need to go to all these classes an workshops to fix you. How can you be perfect and fundamentally flawed at the same time?

You have it backwards. In New Thoughts, you are perfect as you are because you are a manifestation of God as you. Nowhere in New Thought is there a doctrine that you must be fixed.

You do not have to take any classes at all or even belong to a church to consider yourself enlightened. New Thought is not Scientology, Mormonism or any thought-control religion in which attendence at class is virtually mandatory. (I am a Religious Scientist, which is part of the New Thought movement along with Unity and Divine Science.)

It is highly suggested you take at least the basic course in New Thought, which in Religious Science is called "Foundations;" Unity has a similar course. If you are not familiar with the tenets of New Thought, this class will clarify things for you, such as what we mean by "scientific prayer" and how the Law of Cause and Effect and the Law of Attraction work.

Most Christian spiritual traditions are based on fear, guilt and the need to be "saved" from yourself because you are inherently flawed. New Thought is based on the knowledge that God is all there is, and we are one with God.

That said, New Thought makes many people uncomfortable, especially who come from a fear- or guilt-based spiritual tradition. In New Thought, God does not do anything TO us; God is within us AS us. God's plan for our lives in New Thought is freedom -- to be whatever we choose.

No one will fault you or try to keep you in your New Thought church by any means whatsoever if you leave. On the contrary, you'll find they'll wish you well. May you find whatever spiritual path works for you; God certainly doesn't care what religious label you wear.

Posted by: mindful ()
Date: August 03, 2006 02:23AM

You have it backwards. In New Thoughts, you are perfect as you are because you are a manifestation of God as you. Nowhere in New Thought is there a doctrine that you must be fixed.

I don't think that I have it backwards at all, If you read my post, I am not saying there is a doctrine that states you must be fixed. What I stated is that there is an underlying message of needing to be fixed. I don't feel that Unity is a cult, or uses thought reform methodes.

(from one of my posts above)Thanks for the advice. I go to a Unity church, and I know that it is not a cult.

If you are not familiar with the tenets of New Thought, this class will clarify things for you, such as what we mean by "scientific prayer" and how the Law of Cause and Effect and the Law of Attraction work.

I have been going to Unity for aprox. 7 years and have been a official member for 5 years. I am on the healing team and multimedia team as well as being a Chaplin. So, speaking from my own personal experience it has not been healthy for me. I respect the fact that there are others out there who benefit from there involvement in not only Unity but a variety of New Thought religions.

New Thought is not Scientology, Mormonism or any thought-control religion in which attendence at class is virtually mandatory.

I don't recall making that claim in any of my post. while I can appreciate that you have had a positve experience, I have not.
I feel as though as a result of teachings I have recieved, I have slowly lost my ability to be a critical thinker as well as other issues outlined in earlier posts.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but I plan to continue to do more research before making a decision. For more info on this topic,
I found this thread to be a good read.
[board.culteducation.com]

Peace,
Caroline

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.