Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Does eyeryone consider Moromism a cult?
Posted by: Demon of Kolob ()
Date: June 01, 2006 06:47AM

I was raised in Utah in Mormon church, and finally found my way out. Family and old friends now shun me. Does the world consider Mormons a cult or just wierd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 01, 2006 08:55PM

See [www.culteducation.com]

Psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton, who wrote the definitive book about thought reform (often called "brainwashing") also wrote a paper about cult formation. Lifton defined a cult as having the following three characteristics:

1. A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power.

2. A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform.

3. Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.

Some groups once seen as "cults" often move more into the mainstream, becoming generally respected sects or religions.

There are certainly examples of groups that were once perhaps thought of as "cults" that have evolved into relatively mainstream sects or religions. Such examples as the Seventh Day Adventists once led by Ellen White, or the Mormons, also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints.

But it is also important to note that some groups, which may have once been labeled as "cults" continue to be controversial due to their unsafe or destructive practices. Two examples of groups that continue to be problematic and often destructive are the former Russellites, now known as "Jehovah's Witnesses," that once prohibited organ transplants and still expects its members to refuse blood transfusions, which has resulted in numerous deaths. And the Christian Scientists founded by Mary Baker Eddy who often reject medical treatment, again resulting in the loss of life. Some groups may say they have renounced unsafe or destructive practices, only to be exposed later as guilty of the same extremes and abuses.

Date: June 01, 2006 10:55PM

If you go by these criteria then I definitely was part of a cult

<1. A charismatic leader, who increasingly becomes an object of worship as the general principles that may have originally sustained the group lose power. >
Living prophet fills this role
<2. A process [is in use] call[ed] coercive persuasion or thought reform. >
Steps taught for conversion.
Follow the Brethren , When the Prophet speaks the thinking is done
<3. Economic, sexual, and other exploitation of group members by the leader and the ruling coterie.>
Tithing, Fast offering, temple fund, missionary fund, ward budget ,scouting
Extreme Sexual rules even for Married. No oral ,rectal ,birth control, toys,dirty talk etc.
Extreme social pressure to confirm, on individuality

Date: June 01, 2006 11:06PM

No.

The Mormon Church today would not meet the first criteria.

Its "prophet" is not a charismatic personality that defines the group, but rather an elected member. There is a democratic process of leadership within the LDS today that includes the First Council, Quorums etc.

No single personality dominates the church today as Joseph Smith and Brigham Young once did.

Date: June 02, 2006 12:51AM

kolob,

Do have a good read of Lifton and Margaret Singer's writings concerning what constitutes a contemporary cult definition.
There are a lot of articles out there, however they tend to sum things up in a few common points or more.
There of course will always be varying degrees of effect on individuals, both whilst in the group, and after moving on.

Posted by: elena ()
Date: June 02, 2006 12:55AM

Demon of Kolob
I was raised in Utah in Mormon church, and finally found my way out. Family and old friends now shun me. Does the world consider Mormons a cult or just wierd?

I would say that group shunning of apostates, as a matter of policy, is one of the best indicators of a group's being a cult. This has been a typical feature of many cults for hundreds of years, capitalizing on the knowledge that the threat of social exclusion is one of the most effective ways of discouraging curiousity. The prospect of isolation from friends and family is often enough to keep most people in the fold.

There are many criteria that are used to determine if a particular group is a cult or cult-like. Most people I know consider the Mormon Church a cult, (I grew up in a Mormon town), and not for doctrinal issues, as some "main-stream" Christian organisations claim, but for the exploitation and abuse of the "rank-and-file," extreme proselytizing, rigid and odd beliefs, so-called "demands for purity," various and intrusive social control practices, and aggressive pursuit and "punishment" of the "fallen" or "jack" Mormons.

Ellen

Posted by: elena ()
Date: June 02, 2006 01:01AM

rrmoderator

No single personality dominates the church today as Joseph Smith and Brigham Young once did.

They would like that to be the case. They would like the "prophet" to take the helm in the same way. Hard to get a mere mortal to take up the mantle of personal emissary of God or God's representative on earth, or whatever they call him these days, but not all that unusual within the Mormon Church.

Ellen

Date: June 02, 2006 03:42AM

rrmoderator
No.

The Mormon Church today would not meet the first criteria.

Its "prophet" is not a charismatic personality that defines the group, but rather an elected member. There is a democratic process of leadership within the LDS today that includes the First Council, Quorums etc.

Hickley is most revered "prophet" in recent years, His birthday party last year was huge star studded tribute. Most TBMs (true blue Mormons) hang on his every word, including my family. IMHO he qualifies for #1

No one is elected in the Mormon church everyone is appointed by a higher up or by seniority (as in the case of prophet). The church sometimes makes a show democracy but there is none. Examples: After a leader is appointed ,this is announced to the congregation who rises their hands in a show of support for the leader, there is no chance to express doubt. Scouts are to told to elect a patrol leader, this election is repeated until the scouts chose the leader the Bishop has already appointed

Date: June 02, 2006 04:30AM

There is a consensus or process to "appoint" a President.

There is a delegating of authority through the top levels of Mormonsim.

And there is some democratic process within those levels.

There is not Jim Jones, David Koresh or Charlie Manson figure running the LDS and defining it, which is the first criteria of a "cult."

Posted by: drumpler ()
Date: June 08, 2006 09:54PM

rrmoderator
There is a consensus or process to "appoint" a President.

There is a delegating of authority through the top levels of Mormonsim.

And there is some democratic process within those levels.

There is not Jim Jones, David Koresh or Charlie Manson figure running the LDS and defining it, which is the first criteria of a "cult."

What about the Mormon policy of discouraging members to read stuff critical of Mormon doctrine? When I was LDS, this most certainly happened and when I had legitimate questions, I was automatically accused of reading "apostate material."

Sincerely,
Derek

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.