Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Young Life?
Posted by: jims ()
Date: April 27, 2011 10:24PM

Chris morris,
What you are referring to is not club or campaigners. I'm not sure what that is... young life does require parental consent for anything involving travel or staying somewhere overnight. What you are talking about doesn't sound right. Maybe drews parents were well aware of what was going on and gave their consent. Perhaps you were just too young to be aware of all of that.
That was deceitful of your dad and stepmom to trick you into going on something like that. That, however, has very little to do with the organization as a whole. No one is trying to defend that everyone involved in young life is flawless.. it has already been pointed out, that is obviously not the case.
It seems as though young life's biggest flaw is not having a title that clearly states their purpose. With the slightest amount of effort though, anyone can discover what it is all about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: April 27, 2011 10:40PM

jims:

Young Life actually has a very serious "flaw".

It does not have a standardized rule of procedure regarding written notification and consent from parent(s) and/or legal guardians.

The only way to guarantee this is to have it in writing and on file for every minor child active in Young Life. That is, upon attending one meeting/activity a notification/permission form would be sent home with the minor child and required to be returned signed before involvement in a second meeting/activity could take place.

If Young Life doesn't do this there is no way to objectively and factually demonstrate that parents/guardians have been notified and given their consent.

The fact that Young Life doesn't have a set policy regarding this only gives rise to suspicion and raises questions about its ethics.

Combined with the fact that the name "Young Life" is a vague name that doesn't really explain the group's purpose, those concerned may conclude that Young Life hopes to recruit by stealth and begin an indoctrination process with minor children without the family's knowledge and consent.

This is a very serious flaw.

Date: April 27, 2011 11:05PM

Rrmoderator:

How is YoungLife's policy regarding parental/legal guardian consent different from any other thing kids might be involved in outside of school?
As I stated before, minors can join any after school group or club without parental consent. They can interview, get hired, and work at a job without parental consent... Minors (assuming they are old enough to drive) can attend and even join a church without parental consent.
If you are telling me that all churches and all employers also have seriously flawed systems, then okay...
But, if there is a difference, please explain.

Posted by: biggun223 ()
Date: April 27, 2011 11:27PM

I would also add that there are underage kids on this thread. Did you get a consent form from their parents in order to have them read this thread? You may have a child whose parents support Young Life and would not like their child reading or adding to this thread. I honestly ask you, other than them phhysically being in the room with you, what is the difference?

Date: April 28, 2011 01:30AM

biggun223:

It is absolutely against the rules for anyone to post on this board under the age of 18.

See [forum.culteducation.com]

Who specifically do you know of that is a minor posting on this board?

Date: April 28, 2011 01:36AM

jims:

Young Life specifically is in the business of proselytizing.

A religious organization should not work with minor children without parental notification and consent. And this should be done in writing and kept on file.

If Young Life wants to work with minors they should demonstrate respect for family values by having such a system of notification and written permission in place for every minor child.

If they don't have the time to do that then maybe they should take the time to work with minor children.

What about this don't you understand?

Your attempt to obfuscate, change the subject and/or deliberately ignore this point does not change the point.

Date: April 28, 2011 02:37AM

I'm not sure what subject you think I'm trying to change or what point you think I'm trying to ignore.
I asked, "How is YoungLife's policy regarding parental/legal guardian consent different from any other thing kids might be involved in outside of school?"
Again, minors can join any after school group without parental consent.
Minors can get a job without parental consent.
Minors can attend and join a church without parental consent.
Why is YoungLife in the wrong? Why is there a difference? I'm just trying to understand.
The only subject change I've noticed is you replying to my post without answering/acknowledging my question... I just retyped my previous post because my question remains unanswered...

Posted by: biggun223 ()
Date: April 28, 2011 03:01AM

Rrmoderator:

What you are saying is your opinion, and everyone is taking it as fact. There is no law or ethical standard that I have come into clontact with that backs you up. If I am wrong, then I will admit it, but I personally have not come into contact with it. We have differing opinions. That's all. Neither of us will convince the other one otherwise.

Date: April 28, 2011 03:45AM

jims:

Anyone reading this thread can determine who is ignoring the pivotal issues here.

The pivotal issue is abrogating parental authority with a minor.

A parent may determine that a job, church or school group is not in line with their thinking of what is best for their child and forbid it. The employer, school club or church would then be obligated legally to cease interacting with the minor involved. The parent(s) could easily obtain a restraining order if they wished to enforce this.

I have received many complaints about churches and/or religious groups working with minor children without parental notification and consent. And in some situations eve after parents specifically objected and demanded that the interaction stop. These complaints have included Young Life.

See [www.culteducation.com]

This link is to a news report from Alaska about a mother who objected to her adolescent son's involvement in a fundamentalist Christian church called the "Potter's House." Ultimately she worked through the police to stop the church from meeting with and influencing her son. And she later filed a lawsuit, which was settled out of court before trial. She received a substantial financial payment for pain and suffering.

Young Life is wrong to work with any minor children without first giving the parent(s) written notice and then obtaining a signed consent form. This is a simple process and can easily be done. If Young Life obtains written permission for a sleepover activity they can go through the same process for initial notification and permission to meet with a minor at all other activities.

Targeting minors for proselytizing without such notice and subsequent permission is unethical.

We are not talking about a "school group" or regular "job", but rather an organization that has a religious agenda.

Most parents don't specifically share the religious beliefs preached by Young Life, unless of course they are also "born-again" evangelical Christians.

Parents deserve the respect and consideration of being properly informed when Young Life attempts to influence the religious choices of their children. And parents legally have the right to object and if they wish stop their minor child's involvement with Young Life.

I suspect the reason Young Life doesn't have a formal notification and consent requirement in place is because the organization probably thinks that most parents would refuse after finding out, and quite likely tell their children to stay away from Young Life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 06:41AM by rrmoderator.

Date: April 28, 2011 03:57AM

biggun223:

The law is plain. Parents have the right to determine the religious involvement of their own minor children.

An outside party like Young Life has no legal rights whatsoever regarding the religious upbringing of minor children outside of the staff's own families.

Public school teachers are also on shaky ground when it comes to promoting religious groups like Young Life to students, especially and particularly minors.

I have been qualified and accepted as an expert witness regarding destructive cults, controversial groups and movements in 9 states, including US Federal Court. And I have testified in court in child custody cases, specifically regarding certain religious groups and their practices and influence.

When a parent is awarded primary custody this most often includes the right to determine religious schooling at whatever church, synagogue, mosque or temple the designate for their minor child. Even the not primary-custodial parent typically doesn't have the right to oppose that choice and take the child to a place of worship not agreed upon by the primary custodial parent.

Young Life doesn't even have the legal status of non-custodial parent. In fact, Young Life has no status in such religious decision-making whatsoever.

It is completely up to the custodial parent and/or the child's designated legal guardian.

What comes across from the posts here by Young Life staffers and supporters, is that the organization has little if any meaningful regard for the prerogatives of parents concerning the religious influence and/or family upbringing of a minor child.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2011 06:31AM by rrmoderator.

Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.