Current Page: 1 of 273
Radiant Life Church of Sacramento, California, Pastor Tony Cunningham
Posted by: anonymous152 ()
Date: April 15, 2009 03:36AM

Hi,

I am new to this forum or any forum of any kind; and frankly it makes me uncomfortable, but having attended RLC for about 5 years I understand what is going on there.

If you are new to RLC or considering going there I earnestly ask you to consider what is being said in this forum from people who have been hurt by RLC. And don't attend RLC or quit attending if you are.

It's not a matter to be taken lightly. Its grievous. Not merely to me, but to our LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ

The emphasis at RLC is on the mortal man and not on our immortal LORD who died on the cross for us. And that should not be. It is not about Pastor T.

Jesus is the only one we are to pay allegiance to!

You don't need anyone to be your spiritual guru. The Holy Spirit is our guide. You don't need someone to tell you when to dance or that you are not dancing hard enough or to give your child up. The Holy Spirit is the one who moves us and anything we do that is out of our own attempt or someone else's attempt to control us, is fleshly and does not bear fruit eternal fruit and is unpleasing to God. Its about grace and not our works. All our works are as thilthy rags before our God.

Cults attract people when they are down and out. When they are the most vulnerable. Sure there are loving people at RLC but they are being mislead.

I pray that God will open their eyes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Has Anyone Ever Heard of Radiant Life Church in Sacramento
Posted by: TMAC ()
Date: November 07, 2006 06:07AM

I want to know if this church by the name of Radiant Life in Sacramento, CA is a cult or not? The pastor is Tony Cunningham. The church has cult like traits and behavior. After a few weird house meetings and the overbearing behavior I stop going there.

I am not attending this chuch anymore, but the members keep calling me. I left 2 months ago and I tried to ignore them by not answering my telephone and by avoiding all forms of contact with them.

The church functions like a real church so it is very difficult to detect their behavior once you visit there. However, after a while they wanted me to attend house meetings, they got upset when I miss church, they tried to control my social life, and the members became so overbearing & controlling (but in a sort of nice passive agressive type of way). They pretended to be extremely caring and helpful, but with the agenda of persuading you to devote your entire social life to the church.

I just wanted to know if this is a cult or just a church with misguided teachings? :?:

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: November 07, 2006 06:23AM

Posted by: godshd ()
Date: January 05, 2007 07:07PM

Let me start by telling you we (my wife and I) thought the same thing about the church being a cult. We started going to a church plant in Katy TX and it was too good to be true. But after several month (9) at this church and getting to know the people I can tell you that it is just that they realy care about people. I have gone to some "house meeting" known as 2:42 groups (2:42 from Acts 2:42) and a few others and never had anyone get on me about me going or not. Although Tony is not the pastor in Houston He has taught a few Sundays here. I have met him and think very highly of him and Radiant Life Church. Radiant Life Church is not for everyone but I can tell you it is not a cult, Just a Church that Loves the Lord, and the people they come in contact with.

I hope this helps you and I hope you have found a church that fits your needs. God bless you.

Andrew

Posted by: godshd ()
Date: January 05, 2007 07:31PM

let me start by saying that my wife and I thought the same thing when we came to Radiant Life Church in Katy, TX. This church is a plant of the one in Sacramento, Ca. Though Tony is not the pastor in Katy, TX, he has come to visit and teach a few times. I have met him and think he is a great pastor. We have gone to a few "house meetings" and did not find them weird and have not been bashed for not going or going.

I find that this church is just the sort that loves the Lord and the people they come in contact with. I have been a Christian 20 some odd years now and have moved a lot because of being in the Air Force and have seen a lot of chruches and I can tell you for sure that they are not a cult.

I hope you find or have found a church that you can fell like you fit into, I know that Radiant Life is not for everyone.

God Bless you. 8)
Andrew

Date: January 05, 2007 10:02PM

Three good things to look for regarding a safe church are meaningful accountability, financial transparency and educational credentials.

Does the church have a democratically elected board and officers that can discipline and if need be fire the pastor?

Does the church publish an independently audited financial statement that discloses in detail all salaries, compensation and expenses paid out from church funds?

Does the church belong to a denomination, association or federation that requires meaningful disclosure and/or accountability?

What are the educational requirements regarding the pastor position?

Posted by: Somite ()
Date: January 19, 2007 02:21AM

RE: democratically elected leadership - Try as I may, I can't find this concept in scripture. Can you please tell me where it is modeled or commanded, or even suggested?

Date: January 19, 2007 03:20AM

Somite:

Application for tax exempt status, tax codes/requirements, parsonage allowances and internal accounting proceedures are not either, but they are all part of churches today.

Democratic church government with elected boards is typical of most Protestant churches and many other religious institutions.

Though if you would rather live under a church dictatorship without meaningful accountability that's your choice to make.

But in my experience power corrupts and abosolute power corrupts absolutely.

FYI--there are provisions/guidelines for leaders in the New Testament regarding the selection of deacons, elders and evangelist.

And the suggestion that leaders are accountable to fellow believers in early churches.

Of course as Christianity grew from the First Century, so did the need for church government. Today most religious bodies in the US are democratic.

Posted by: Transparent ()
Date: January 19, 2007 03:55AM

[b:818ec2ee54]There's some good things bout the church. but over the years things have changed and to be honest with you...i feel that was has taken place over the years is what's called "The Shepherding Movement". I ain't gonna lie...but it has me concerned....i've seen many hurt by the things that have taken place. It's too bad...all we can do is pray. But i'm gonna say this...you gotta do and go where God wants you to be at and what He wants for you. That's truth...keep your eyes on God and he will never steer you wrong. Life is too short to be concerned about flaws....there is no perfect church and i have seen many flaws and much unconfessed mistakes. But we as people ain't perfect...just keep your eyes on God.

Transparent[/b:818ec2ee54]

Date: January 19, 2007 03:58AM

Transparent:

There is a section about this movement and its problems within the Ross Institute database.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Current Page: 1 of 273

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.