More on this topic
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: October 01, 2002 05:58AM

Destructive religious movements are a topic I comment on because I got involved with a few as you know from reading my posts. I don't believe that any person is capable of joining a destructive organization. It seems to me that most of the people I knew from Hickman's church and Lubavitch, among others, were people who were estranged from religious establishment of their
upbringing. Some were looking to make a difference they couldn't in their former church. Some considered their parents and religious leaders to be hypocrites.
The problem is that many times people who leave on religious organization for another wind up in more trouble than could be imagined on the outset. While I don't agree with what I consider to be the mythological content of the Old and New Testaments, the Koran, the Bagavad Ghita, etc., these religions have been around for awhile and you know what to expect from their adherents.
Now I do have a major problem with what's going on in the Mid East and also the problems between the Indians and the Pakistanis. Personally, I chalk it up to religious intransigence.
While I don't mind saying that I believe in God, I don't believe any current religion accurately portrays him. Nevertheless, especially some of the monotheistic faiths, have no compunction against killing an "infidel" (aka, heretic, apikorsus, akum, blasphemer, etc..).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More on this topic
Posted by: xcfcmi2003 ()
Date: May 23, 2018 05:24AM

As a former cult member, I understand the mindset many have when they meet a church or organization that falls outside the mainstream. The initial encounter seems very appealing, and many of us are enticed by the sales pitch, especially the idea we can make a difference.

It is when we stick around, grow, and are drawn into the inner circle that we see what is really behind the curtain. This rude awakening reminds me of the Wizard of Oz when Toto removes the curtain. The Wizard is exposed for the fraud he really is.

The biggest challenge after leaving is learning to trust anyone in leadership.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.