Re: R.B. Thieme Jr., Berachah Church Houston, Robert B. Thieme Jr.
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 26, 2009 08:28AM

Truthtesty:

Let's be nice.

And let's not go on and on about this side issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthtesty ()
Date: August 26, 2009 09:04AM

sistersoap
zeebrook
Sistersoap,

I promised you another tidbit on Hebrew exegesis that one can follow through relatively easily. In Genesis 2:17 the text reads
17but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

Thieme translates the last part as "dying thou shalt die" (A New Species). This is a translation of the last two words of the Hebrew text. Grammatically we have a qal infinitive absolute (mot) followed by a verb the qal imperfect 2nd masculine singular (tamuth).

Look up Waltke and O'Connor "Biblical Hebrew Syntax" pages 585-6 and you will see Genesis 2:17 on page 586 listed as example 1. On pag3 585 they say "Affirmation is the most straightforward role for an infinitive absolute" and they give a translation "you will surely die" (page 586).

Look up "Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar" page 342 (Section 113 part n) where it says:
"The infinitive absolute used before the verb to strengthen the verbal idea, i.e. to emphasise in this way either the certainty...or the forcibleness and completeness of an occurence." They then list Genesis 2:17 as an example translating it as "thou shal surely die."

Davidson's "Hebrew Syntax" page 123 (Section 90 (b)) is a bit confusing but says that the infinitive absolute "may be in genitive by a noun or preposition" and lists Genesis 2:17. Basically it is saying Genesis 2:17 could be translated as "dying of death".

What his exercise shows is that none of the grammarians agree with Thieme's translation. You could compare commentaries but generally Thiemeites do not respond to them. However a grammar work they will look at.

The point being is you can look up the back of these grammars to the scripture index and simply look up the references to Genesis 2:17 and you can find this information.

There are some others I have found to date.

Cheers for now, Sistersoap

Thanks for your suggestions zeebrook. You make a good point about Thieme followers NOT LISTENING TO COMMENTARIES. That is so true. One could cite L.S. Chafer to them all day long and none of it would soak in even though he was Thieme's admired teacher and a man of great integrity and theological genius. Thieme once claimed that Chafer told him he was a genius and that he had opened up a new way of seeing theology or something close to that. The point is Thieme was a persistent name dropper. And he did not always report the entire facts. Sometimes he misunderstood what some expert said and would bring it into his messages as BIBLE DOCTRINE. We were supposed to to "take it in" and build our "edification complex of the soul" with what he said. Now that I look back at it all, it amazes me that I believed EVERY WORD AS BIBLE TEACHING.

Chafer undoubtedly contributed greatly to Thieme's education. But Thieme seemed to give credit to NO OTHER MAN for anything. A converation with a doctor Thieme had seemed to give rise to the DOCTRINE that the baby in the womb was not yet human because it had not had the soul life breathed into it by God, so abortion and miscarriage was no big deal....just a bunch of cells sloughing off. In my taper group, a woman who had had a miscarriage who mourned the loss of her baby was ridiculed and laughed at for not having Thieme's truth about human life before birth. HORRIBLE INSENSITIVE and totally unloving, even if Thieme had been right. I dare say there is ample evidence now that human life begins at conception even if the scientific evidence is often suppressed in favor of the CHOOSE DEATH crowd.

My point is that Thieme was free to improvise and misunderstand and call it BIBLE TRUTH which we were required to accept without question. Questioning this made anyone instantly persona non grata among the "faithful" hence I NEVER SHARED MY NEW CONVICTION THAT THIEME WAS WRONG ABOUT THIS POINT. It never occurred to me to share the reasons I thought this. I knew for sure that nobody in the group would give it serious thought and I might be kicked out or made to feel decidedly unwelcome and then I would have to be a "loner taper." Thieme's OPINIONS were LAW. I never realized that his flawed ideas were flawed or ever could be subjected to serious independent investigation until long after I stopped listening. When I got up the nerve to appear on Delphi's BIBLE DOCTRINE STUDY GROUP and begin with the issue of ABORTION I thought it would be useful to see what the "temperature" was there towards a PRO LIFE point of view, since I knew for a fact that Thieme's teaching was being used to promote the indifference to life in the womb and the personhood of the child before birth. BOY DID I GET AN EYEFUL. AND THE LEVEL OF HATE was shocking even to me. I expected opposition. I did not expect VITRIOL. And some really scary posts by a Thieme follower who was a nurse gave me the shivers. You should all go there and check it out. I did the same with the topic of baptism and got a like result, though not quite to the same degree as with the subject of abortion.

I say all this to suggest that your approach in talking to Thieme supporters by dealing with the subject they have been trained to accept, appealing to the "Hebrew and Greek" mantra probably will have some success. I dare say that many die hards will dismiss even this, but they will at least give it a hearing. It is likely that their first reaction will be to ridicule the sources you quote as "NOT UP TO THIEME'S EXPERTISE" SINCE Thieme claimed his knowledge had reached a pinnacle of scholarship unobtainable by others, since they were lazy and stupid, while he was totally dedicated to his studies. Yes, he basically made himself a study machine and closed his life off to any other function in the church. Nothing that required him to have normal verbal intercourse with others on a level field would be permitted. THIS IS NOT EXPERTISE. This is SICK.

As for me, I can scarcely keep up with English grammar much less Greek or Hebrew of which I don't even know their alphabets. But perhaps it would be good to suggest to a Thieme follower for THEM to look up the verses Thieme is "exegeting" for themselves in any Greek or Hebrew grammar or textbook and see what it says. From what you say, they are likely to find NOBODY agreeing with Thieme about quite a lot that made his system what it was, his BREAKTHROUGHS and special vocabulary and categories. It was the total absence of his special vocabulary and categories in the BIBLE ITSELF IN ENGLISH that first aroused suspicion in me that Thieme might not be right about some things. This was a MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH, if you will pardon my use of the "B" word. It led eventually to a break in my total subservience to Thieme.

Reading the Bible for ourselves is best. But sometimes we can greatly profit from a teacher older in the faith than we are, and this is where good Christian books by faithful Christian authors and teachers come in. Selected books have helped untangle a lot of Thieme knots for me and liberated me from his brand of slavery. This literature won't even reach a dedicated Thieme follower for they have been trained to ignore other writers except Thieme. But neither can they read a Bible book or passage and reason from it or follow its argument in context. To my mind, LACK OF CONTEXT is the greatest missing ingredient in Thieme's system. He not only removed us from independent reading and study of the Bible in its context, he atomized his treatment of "the text" himself so we lost the connection of thought the writer had in mind when he wrote his original. Not only that, but we were sure to lose even THIEME'S train of thought (when there was one), THERE IS NO COMMAND in the Bible making HEBREW AND GREEK MANDATORY to understanding the Bible for the person in the pew. A GOOD FAITHFUL TRANSLATION MADE BY REVERENT BELIEVING SCHOLARS WHO KNOW THEY ARE HANDLING THE INSPIRED WORDS OF GOD and who hold themselves responsible to handle this text with respect and a godly fear will enable you to receive from the Bible what God intended. For me that is the King James Bible. I have said before that I regard it as the best translation in English.

A recent post here made a good point that Thiemers cannot tell you what Ephesians says or what it means by what it says in English. You cannot generally argue a point using only the Bible with them because they have been trained to listen only to Thieme teaching. They see and hear only Thieme when they look at their Bibles, and the markings are all THIEME POINTS. This is the product of true brainwashing. I wonder how many other churches out there do essentially the same thing as Thieme has done? I suspect there are many of them. I bet other problem groups on these Rick Ross message boards have done exactly the same thing by setting up their leader as next to God with the only right doctrine and separate their members from the precious Words of God.

Thanks again for the good points in ministering to Thieme followers. I hope others will post their experiences, especially successful efforts, in ministering to those still caught up in the Thiemepark.

Sistersoap

I can appreciate another method of debunking Thieme with truth. I will try to get ahold of these books to verify what was said. However, it is at best just another method of debunking Thieme. For example when I cited "L.S. Chafer to them all day long" the truth that I revealed(especially Chafer's view of the efficacious literal Blood of Christ) was probably helpful to some thiemites and ex-thiemites because Chafer "was Thieme's admired teacher and a man of great integrity and theological genius" And? Thieme spoke so highly of Chafer. Which could(to some) have greater impact than confronting with Hebrew syntax, because Thieme spoke so highly of Chafer. Hebrew syntax frankly put many thiemites to sleep as most barely paid attention and if they did barel retained any detailed memory of it nor did they really actually learn how to use Hebrew synatx themself. I think avenue still has value because in some cases especially reviewing what Thieme has written in error in his booklets in Hebrew or spoken of in error on tape in Hebrew, could be "nailed down" and debunked in the possible senses at least that no other grammatician agreed with Thieme in some cases. Especially I would say in Leviticus dealing with "blood".

I am definitely in favor of maximizing different methods for debunking Thieme, before thiemites or ex-thiemites.

Truthtesty

Posted by: truthsetsufree ()
Date: August 26, 2009 12:12PM

Sistersoap,

Yes. Egregious teaching, especially done in the spirit of arrogance is very sad to say the least. In what ways do you minister to those who are heavily influence with this ministry? I know a person who was introduced to Thieme during a crisis in their life. I do have to say that God has done some great things in this person's life through this ministry. So a lot of their thinking in terms of bible exposition is influenced. But I do see the negative influence, especially Thiemes definition of confession. His definition does not give any legitimacy to how we as believers are to view our sin in relation to God's holiness. Thieme restricts the word confession (homologeo) Grk. to just naming, citing, your sins to God the Father and quote, "How you feel about your sin is inconsequential to God, just name them to God in the privacy of your priesthood."

I came to realize is antinomianism in germ form. My desire was not growing in holiness but rather a pseudomaturinty through intake of Bible doctrine, blah, blah, blah. What is tricky is that his exegesis of 1Jn. 1.9 is pretty good. So it sounds good but in reality but in practice is very harmful to Christian growth. And when you consider how he impersonalized the Christian way of life, strips God of any real emotions by way of anthropropathisms, what you have left is a very confusing and robotic, mechanical method of living the Christian life, arrogantly.

What have you found to work when beginning a dialog with those this heavily influence? I know it will not do me any good attacking either Thieme or this person. I would like to cut to the chase and just say this stuff is cultic (if that is a word?). I am familiar with Dr. Wall's dissertation. Do you know of any other resources?

Why is it that those who are influenced by Thieme's teaching ultimately come to the conclusion that they have the only way of maturing in Christ? To be fare though I believe this does depend on the individual. Some are all out others are not. Just curious.

If you don't mind me asking, how/why did you come to your conclusions about Thieme's teaching?

Thanks

Posted by: truthsetsufree ()
Date: August 26, 2009 12:35PM

To Forum: Does anyone know what kind of church government Thieme practiced?

Are there any church constitutions out there I could look at?

Thank you

Posted by: sistersoap ()
Date: August 26, 2009 01:14PM

rrmoderator
zeebrook and sistersoap both appear to be in the UK.

You can tell by the posts.

The British don't put a period after Dr. and use of the closing "cheers."

Fairly typical of someone posting from the UK.

Who was asking>?

Sistersoap

Date: August 26, 2009 02:10PM

rrmoderator
Truthtesty:

Let's be nice.

And let's not go on and on about this side issue.

MR MODERATOR I object to your lack of response regarding Testy's irrational and slanderous accusations against me. BE NICE? Pleeeze.

This gets old after a while.

Testy is frequently offensive to ex Thiemers including me and calls them bad names. It seems to me he can do no wrong in your eyes. it is unfair.

And it is not becoming to this forum.

This is not the first time Testy has done this to someone who is basically on his side. He seems to shoot at friends and expects them to thank him for it.

You asked this discussion on Wall's work and Testy's part in "bringing it to us all at no cost" to end. I wrote a long reply to Testy and lost it....amazing how often that happens, isn't it? But you allowed his insulting remarks to go though. I don't understand that at all.

Life after Thieme is hard enough. Testy is not helping as much as he thinks he is. Testing tolls is one thing, but I AM NOT A TROLL. Testy is not the only one who has suffered because of Thieme. We all have. He ought not to attack those who are on his side like this. It makes this thread on Thieme look ridiculous to Thieme supporters.

BE NICE?

To testy you say BE NICE? What if he had called YOU A LIAR?

Sistersoap

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 26, 2009 09:15PM

sistersoap:

Please move on.

I will watch for any additional insults on other side.

Posted by: Truthtesty ()
Date: August 27, 2009 02:46AM

To rr moderator and Forum:

One of us is lying and calling the other one a liar. So? Sister answer the false allegation you made an false attack on me with. Tell us how your false allegation is true. What led you to believe (along with your supposed non-troll buddy Zeebrook who also said that I was "less than honest" about this also, so that is another person attacking me and calling me a liar). So go ahead sister tell us what led you to believe this statement: sistersoap quote August 22, 2009 12:17PM
"Truthtesty Anyone can get Dr. Wall's dissertation FOR FREE. You did not obtain it at any cost and pass it on to us freely, as you said. QUOTING TESTY: " I freely presented Dr. Wall's entire dissertation to this forum free of charge time after time. Sistersoap" so go ahead and tell us the truth what led you to say this sister. Tell the exact truth or apologize.

To rrmoderator: this is important because sister has called into question me telling the truth. As you know my name is Truthtesty. So hopefully you will allow sister to answer. Sister has complely flipped this off her false allegation attacks on me and reversed this as if I am the one abusing her. Not so.

Truthtesty

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 03:04AM by Truthtesty.

Date: August 27, 2009 03:36AM

rrmoderator
sistersoap:

Please move on.

Well Mr. Moderator,
I hope you do a better job of it than you have been doing. It underwhelms me. He seems to be untouchable and I am really really tired of it. It isn't good for this forum.

It is very frustrating to be unable to answer Testy's charges against me and him be allowed to post more insults that are totally out of proportion to them purported offense.

Does he pay you guys to watch his back?

Sistersoap

Date: August 27, 2009 03:47AM

rrmoderator
sistersoap:

Please move on.

SEE THE POST HERE

August 26, 2009 11:46AM

THAT YOU LET THROUGH IN SPITE OF YOUR PROMISE TO "WATCH OUT" FOR More on this "series."

I don't trust you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2009 03:51AM by sistersoap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.