Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Mormonism, the Lamanites and the latest DNA evidence.
Posted by: passerby ()
Date: July 11, 2006 11:07PM

Two comments to rmmoderator:

Out of interest, have any universities outside of Utah ever conducted a study specifically to determine if a genetic link exists between any of the Native American peoples and the Israellites?

Second comment relates to Book of Mormon archaeology. Who, outside of Mormons from BYU, is looking for the city of Zarahemla? Or Nephihah? Or Lehi? If none of the other experts have looked for them, why would I go asking for their expert opinion?

So while your comments appear to insinuate that the Mormons are just making stuff up, and that other respected scholars do not have the same conclusions, I think the more important point here is that it is only the Mormons that have a specific interest in the Book of Mormon origins.

Fortunately for the Bible, a number of the cities mentioned still exist today. Makes the job so much easier. So give the Mormons another 100 years or so and see what they can come up with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 11, 2006 11:36PM

Passerby:

The groups written up by Joseph Smith such as the "Nephites" in his "Book of Mormon" are fictional.

Numerous studies have been done regarding DNA that prove this and no history or archaeology department anywhere, with the possible exception of BYU, claims otherwise.

There is not one identified "Nephite" archaeological artifact that exists anwhere whatsoever to support in any way the historical claims made by Smith.

The Book of Mormon is fictional and no serious historian thinks otherwise.

Spritual claims can be subjective and therefore cannot be proven or disproven, but history is an objective matter proven by facts with a record.

Nothing that Smith wrote in his Book of Mormon is historical regarding the supposed history of "Lost Tribes" or ancient peoples in the Americas. He made it up.

Perhaps eventually the Mormon Church will admit as much through some new "revelation" given to its "prophet." This is how the church moved away from other teachings such as no blacks in the priesthood and polygamy.

Date: July 12, 2006 03:31PM

rrmoderator
Passerby:

The groups written up by Joseph Smith such as the "Nephites" in his "Book of Mormon" are fictional.

Numerous studies have been done regarding DNA that prove this and no history or archaeology department anywhere, with the possible exception of BYU, claims otherwise.

There is not one identified "Nephite" archaeological artifact that exists anwhere whatsoever to support in any way the historical claims made by Smith.

The Book of Mormon is fictional and no serious historian thinks otherwise.

Spritual claims can be subjective and therefore cannot be proven or disproven, but history is an objective matter proven by facts with a record.

Nothing that Smith wrote in his Book of Mormon is historical regarding the supposed history of "Lost Tribes" or ancient peoples in the Americas. He made it up.

Perhaps eventually the Mormon Church will admit as much through some new "revelation" given to its "prophet." This is how the church moved away from other teachings such as no blacks in the priesthood and polygamy.

Seriously, rrmoderator, how could I ever listen to your opinion on the matter when you will not sincerely consider what I am saying to you? Do you just, like, cut and paste your answers from a handy document on the hard drive?

I get it, though. It's your forum, you have an agenda, and you don't want to give any ground.

Anyway, I'll repeat my questions once more. If I get the same canned response, I'll be forced to respond with scripture. Don't say I didn't warn ya. ;)

Quote:
Out of interest, have any universities outside of Utah ever conducted a study specifically to determine if a genetic link exists between any of the Native American peoples and the Israellites?

Second comment relates to Book of Mormon archaeology. Who, outside of Mormons from BYU, is looking for the city of Zarahemla? Or Nephihah? Or Lehi? If none of the other experts have looked for them, why would I go asking for their expert opinion?
End quote.

Date: July 12, 2006 07:20PM

passerby:

Seriously the previous post actually answered your questions. I am sorry you didn't like the answer.

More specifically, archaeologistis have been digging in Central America for quite some time looking for anything of interest amongst any ruins that exist.

They have found nothing that relates to the "Book of Mormon" and the mythical cities fabricated by Smith.

Despite extensive escavation of ancient sites and the continued harvesting of artifacts nothing "Nephite" or "Lamenite" has ever been dug up and/or identified.

No one other than Mormons would seriously look for the imagined cities of "Zarahemla," "Nephihah," "Lehi" any more than an expedition would be funded to seek Santa and his elves at the North Pole.

Regarding DNA results.

Over the past 20 years, researchers examining American Indian and Polynesian DNA have found no evidence of Israelite ancestry.

See the following links:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

I'll be forced to respond with scripture.

Please understand that the posting scripture here would be preaching and that is against the rules you agreed to.

Date: July 12, 2006 09:10PM

rrmoderator
passerby:

Seriously the previous post actually answered your questions. I am sorry you didn't like the answer.

More specifically, archaeologistis have been digging in Central America for quite some time looking for anything of interest amongst any ruins that exist.

They have found nothing that relates to the "Book of Mormon" and the mythical cities fabricated by Smith.

Despite extensive escavation of ancient sites and the continued harvesting of artifacts nothing "Nephite" or "Lamenite" has ever been dug up and/or identified.

No one other than Mormons would seriously look for the imagined cities of "Zarahemla," "Nephihah," "Lehi" any more than an expedition would be funded to seek Santa and his elves at the North Pole.

Regarding DNA results.

Over the past 20 years, researchers examining American Indian and Polynesian DNA have found no evidence of Israelite ancestry.

See the following links:

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

[www.culteducation.com]

I'll be forced to respond with scripture.

Please understand that the posting scripture here would be preaching and that is against the rules you agreed to.

Hey, thanks for giving a response to my questions. I guess the direct answers then are specifically no studies and no expeditions.

Either way, my answers have come from God, so no problem.

Thanks for your time.

By the way, banning scriptures probably a bad idea.

Date: July 12, 2006 09:28PM

passerby:

The DNA studies were cited.

Sorry you don't like them.

Despite the fact that Mormons have funded numerous expeditions to find credible proof regarding the "Book of Mormon," they have found nothing.

my answers have come from God, so no problem.

History is not about religious revelation, that would be a discussion for a relgious studies course.

No college or university history department, with the possible exception of perhaps BYU, use the Book of Mormon as a credible source and/or basis for history.

banning scriptures probably a bad idea.

It's preaching and proselytizing that is banned not scripture.

At times participants here may point out a scripture relevant to a certain group and its teachings.

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.