Telling my kids a relative is in a cult
Posted by: Courage ()
Date: June 09, 2013 05:48AM

Any advice about telling my teenage kids that their relative is in a cult? I've read articles about what cults are, warning signs, we did an intervention years ago but we're unsuccessful. They have a good relationship with her and have no idea, I think. It's very emotional for me to tell to finally tell them. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Telling my kids a relative is in a cult
Posted by: cbarb ()
Date: June 09, 2013 11:08PM

Hi Courage

It's not an easy subject to approach with kids and will depend really on how old your kids are. If you are a family who knows the Bible I would suggest that you use a Bible concordance to find all you can about 'False prophets' and how God tells us to deal with such people and relate it to the kind of teaching your relative is receiving in this cult. If your kids are old enough to understand they are more likely to feel sympathetic towards someone they love very much and they may even be the ones who are able to persuade her to get out of it. Kids have a knack of making everything look black and white and can very often succeed where adults have failed because of their innocence and belief that life is very straightforward. What you should make clear to them is that they shouldn't stop loving her and, in fact, should try to love her even more to help guide her out of the situation.

I do hope that you manage to get through to your relative but I know it's hard and I'll keep you in my prayers and ask God to guide you when you speak to your kids. He knows the heartache and He can give you strength and the right words to say to them but there are also many links to various sources of help with this sort of thing on this site and it might be worth researching a few of these before speaking to your kids as most of them come from highly qualified people (which I'm not).

Much love and support.
God Bless you.
Cbarb xxx

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.