The Way International and Momentus
Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: September 14, 2005 08:15PM

I have recently become aware through another forum of this "church", The Way International and its link with the Large Group Awareness Traning program, (LGAT), Momentus.

[b:83d476b8b4]Here are some links:[/b:83d476b8b4]
[www.watchman.org]

[www.empirenet.com]

www.ex-way.com

There is a relationship with this church through its members with "Breakthrough Momentus" which has been reported on this board a couple of times in the past.

[b:83d476b8b4]ACCD - Momentus[/b:83d476b8b4]
[board.culteducation.com]

[b:83d476b8b4]A listing of LGATs and their founders[/b:83d476b8b4]
[board.culteducation.com]

It appears that caution is needed when dealing with both organisations.

Oz

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 23, 2005 03:02AM

My sister has been a member of the Way for around 30 years. When she first joined, she tried to convert everyone in the family - saying things such as "without God, don't even try to be moral."

My mom died several years after my sister first joined the Way. My sister (who had been living in different places in the U.S. as part of her mission with the Way) decided to move back to our area after my Mom died. She convinced me to give the Way a try. I hated the PFAL class and could barely stand to sit through it one time. Then I was pressured to sit through it again, every time the class ran (and guess what, after the first time, it was FREE!!! Yikes!!!) and I refused. I was also pressured to attend their Heartbeat Festival which I again refused. Needless to say, this group was not my cup of tea. I also noticed a lack of compassion for others on the part of other Way members and even the leaders. For instance, retarded people were considered possessed by the devil and to be avoided - you definitely did not want to be living near them. A member had his jaw broken by party crashers and he was urged to "believe to be healed" rather than to go the doctors. Anyone with problems was considered possessed by the devil.

Having been raised Catholic, I was vulnerable to believing their teaching that you were either with the Way, or with the devil. Deciding to leave meant I was choosing the devil. It was a terrifying experience, but I just could not stay in the group.

For many years I had little to no contact with my sister. Finally, several years ago I decided to reconnect with her. We are geographically separated by quite a large distance (which is probably a good thing), so are contact takes place over the phone. It is mostly OK, she does not try to convert me. I do have to be careful not to put myself in a vulnerable position or I am likely to get preached to. I also know that if I criticize the group she will make excuses for the Way and imply that I somehow just don't understand and she does.

She told me that she sent her daughter, who is in high school, to the Advanced Class. That really bothers me because of what I have read about the group concerning sexual abuse and emotional abuse. My sister lived at the Way Corps for quite a number of years and I find it hard to believe she knows nothing of the scandals or abuses but then again maybe she wasn't that close to the higher ups. With so many people leaving the Way, I feel frustrated at times that she has chosen to remain with a group that is so authoritarian and abusive.

I know the group is in decline, and there doesn't seem to be much current information on the group. Does anyone have any information about the current status of this group? Any information that can help me with this situation?

Thanks
QE

Posted by: Concerned Oz ()
Date: September 24, 2005 05:30AM

Hi Q.E.,

The links I posted in my first post are a good place to start. There is much info on the group with accounts of how to get someone out of it.

There appears to be two mind control dynamics present with some "Way"people. There is the usual indoctrinationation and threats upon leaving as you have mentioned that exist in theses cult like fundamentalist Churches plus also some of the followers go to the Momentus LGAT training. There is readings on that in the links I have provided but basically it is similar to Lifespring and Landmark.

One way of dealing with cultic abuse is to work with the person in respect to their original belief systems. You mentioned that you were/are Catholic. Can I presume your sister was too before joining the Way? I have been reading about another person who is anxious to get her frineds out of the "Way" in a Catholic forum called Catholic Answers. There is some interesting reading from a Catholic perspective on the Way and some people have offered apologetic answers to the indoctination of the Way. The doctrine of The Way appears not to be Christian all though the Way claim they are. With there being origins of Catholicism in your situation, I see it as fitting to pass to you Catholic repsponses to the "Way" problem.

Here is the thread:

[b:20429cc493]Catholic Answers:
"The Way" is trying to recruit me and my husband[/b:20429cc493]
[forums.catholic.com]

One final point. The Way told you that if you leave, you will be going to the Devil. You don't believe that anymore, do you?

Oz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.