is this a destructive church?
Posted by: lilsis ()
Date: February 24, 2004 05:36AM

Please help me understand this. Any honest input is appreciated!

My brother, who was a very successful member of the medical community, recently lost everything due to a drug addiction. He is now in a rehab center. His counselor at the rehab center got him involved in her "church". The conselor told my brother, who is at probably the most vulnerable time in his life righ now, that God "speaks to her" and that he can be "healed" only if he goes to her church. My brother is married and has 2 beautiful, severely disabled children. The counselor told my brother that his children are actually forms of Satan. She told him they must be "healed" at a ceremony in her church. His wife drove with her children to a church service at the request of my brother. She stayed for 15 minutes and left. She said there were bean bag chairs all over the floor because of people passing out when they are "healed." My brother claims to have passed out himself at one of these services, due to the healing powers of the clergy. His drug rehab counselor told him she was sent to earth from God to heal people.

His wife told him that she would not tolerate her family being a member of that church. My brother said he would stop going, but then he changed his mind after talking again with the drug counselor. His wife even told him that they could find a church to attend after he was out of rehab, but right now was not the time to make such a huge decision. My brother is convinced that he is doing the right thing.

My first question is, could this be a cult? Second question is, and this may be unrelated to this forum, does the rehab center, which claims no ties with ANY religious group, have a responsibility in this? Doesn't seem right that a counselor can go after people like this at such a vulnerable time.

Your insights are appreciated!
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Schaldach ()
Date: March 01, 2004 09:13AM

The rehab center should know that one of it's counselors is using it to prosyletize. It's un-ethical and un-professional and It should not be going on. I'm very curious as to the name of the church involved because it's a common recruiting practice to find vunerable people, in rehab, during finals, after deaths in the family, and to get them into the church with the promise that we can help you...(I thought the rehab was suppose to help) the counselor should be reported to the director of the center for this activitie and you should research the heck out of the church, I hope this helps.

Date: August 21, 2007 10:49AM

It is not uncommon for cults and cultists to be employed at treatment centers. People are vulnerable there and searching for solutions to their problems. Yep, sounds like a cult to me.
I always caution people who go to rehab to watch out.
This is easy pickings for the cults....

Posted by: Mikko ()
Date: August 22, 2007 04:20AM

lilsis
Please help me understand this. Any honest input is appreciated!

My brother, who was a very successful member of the medical community, recently lost everything due to a drug addiction. He is now in a rehab center. His counselor at the rehab center got him involved in her "church". The conselor told my brother, who is at probably the most vulnerable time in his life righ now, that God "speaks to her" and that he can be "healed" only if he goes to her church. My brother is married and has 2 beautiful, severely disabled children. The counselor told my brother that his children are actually forms of Satan. She told him they must be "healed" at a ceremony in her church. His wife drove with her children to a church service at the request of my brother. She stayed for 15 minutes and left. She said there were bean bag chairs all over the floor because of people passing out when they are "healed." My brother claims to have passed out himself at one of these services, due to the healing powers of the clergy. His drug rehab counselor told him she was sent to earth from God to heal people.

His wife told him that she would not tolerate her family being a member of that church. My brother said he would stop going, but then he changed his mind after talking again with the drug counselor. His wife even told him that they could find a church to attend after he was out of rehab, but right now was not the time to make such a huge decision. My brother is convinced that he is doing the right thing.

My first question is, could this be a cult? Second question is, and this may be unrelated to this forum, does the rehab center, which claims no ties with ANY religious group, have a responsibility in this? Doesn't seem right that a counselor can go after people like this at such a vulnerable time.

Your insights are appreciated!
Thanks.
That is a destructive church, and that woman should be fired on the spont for telling your brother that his children are forms of Satan. The woman has no business in the counseling profession.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.