Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Posted by: cbarb-again ()
Date: January 11, 2014 02:19AM

Hi folks

Sorry, Rensil, I think you misunderstood me a little. I wasn't suggesting that baptism in the Holy Spirit was made up by SMC, I know the Bible talks about this and I know that some people have had genuine experience of this.

What I was suggesting was that there were more people who claimed to be so baptised than actually had the true experience of it.

In SMC you know that baptism in the Holy Spirit was seen as a 'step closer to the inner circle of believers' and I believe that this enticed many people to 'fake' it in order to appear more spiritual.

Also, again I wasn't suggesting that prayer was invented by SMC but that in Struthers, in most cases, prayer was directed at the 'self' and being a better and more holy Christian. I was suggesting that this is not the kind of prayer being taught in the Bible and that the true meaning of prayer was to direct your prayers and thoughts to everyone else INSTEAD of yourself.

I think the Bible is clear about this because God says if you think nothing of yourself and only of other people you will receive His Grace and support for your own life and your prayers for OTHERS will be answered.

I may be wrong about that but that was the question I was asking - Is it more Biblical (or Holy) to pray for others and the world in general than to pray for your OWN experiences and rewards?

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to belittle the Baptism in the Holy Spirit or anyone's true experiences of this I was just pointing out that many people who claimed to be baptised were in fact only faking it in order to 'fit in' and get closer to the 'inner circle' of the organisation.

I hope this makes it clearer what I was really getting at.

Hi Vinny, it's good to hear from you - I haven't had the chance to go through everything on your site but I don't see any problem with having a multitude of sites like this. The more exposure, the better I think especially since our Google rankings have disappeared since the domain change - Keep up the good work.

As always, biiiiiiig love and huge hugggggggs to all.
God Bless xxxx

Posted by: Happy Survivor ()
Date: January 14, 2014 05:12PM

Hi folks!

It has been good to read the posts regarding the baptism in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues. It is Biblical and brings with it many blessings to a Christian. This should then result in others being touched by the out flowing of the Holy Spirit. I do not believe that we are baptised in the Spirit solely for our own benefit, just to give us some kind of spiritual "high". It is so we can know God more deeply and THEN to move on from there to reaching out to those outside the Kingdom and to be useful to our God.

In SMC I feel this point is missed. Navel gazing is encouraged. People are addicted to attending meetings to get their spiritual fix/high. It is all about feeling a certain way and having this or that experience. They never move beyond that. It is a worrying sign of immaturity.

I remember a Tuesday night prayer meeting in Greenock a few years ago. Mrs Gault said that some people accuse Pentecostal folk/SMC of being too inward looking and of focussing too much on themselves. Her response was "we have to build ourselves up". Yes, but for what exactly? Are SMC folk building themselves up spiritually so that they can then further build themselves up spiritually?

There is a strong tendency in SMC to conform and to ape each other. I noticed this at the prayer meeting particularly. Everyone prays in a breathless voice and every prayer sounds the same. During a service if an anointed person comes to "pray with" you, whether you want them to or not, you are expected to respond by shouting in tongues as they are praying with you. I remember being at an evening camp meeting in Gartmore and quietly being before God. The next thing I knew Pauline Anderson, the leader of the London SMC was laying her hands on me and praying in tongues. I didn't respond in the way she expected so she stopped and asked me if I had been baptised in the Spirit which I had. Then she walked off..maybe she had given up or she felt "led" to move off...who knows?? I was left feeling that I had failed in some way and had been a disappointment.

I used to feel scared and uneasy in SMC services and this should not be the case. People should not be bullied and belittled and made to feel inadequate. The SMC leadership are using the Holy Spirit and the gifts to bully people and to oppress them. The Holy Spirit is gentle and loving and SMC are distorting the truth.

I am going to sign off now. I still feel upset and fearful when I remember what I went through in SMC meetings. The fear is still with me. I often need to remind myself that God is good and the Holy Spirit is not to be feared.

Bye for now folks.

Happy Survivor.

Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: January 15, 2014 08:25AM

I'm totally with you there, Happy Survivor, re what happens at Struthers Memorial Church prayer-meetings. Yes, I and many others have been through it, been there, done it. A lot of loud tongues was the norm and, most likely, still is. Yes, you were expected to speak loudly in tongues when someone came to pray with you. Sometimes you were expected to sway or shake, or be swayed or shaken by the leader who was praying with you. Never have I seen anything like this in any other church and yet, people in these other churches are deeply committed Christians who live holy lives and serve God in many areas of church life or outside.

I get what you mean, Cbarb. You're right that there's a big emphasis on praying for oneself. But the strange thing is that loving and accepting oneself in a healthy manner is discouraged and described as a sinful self-love. The result is that Struthers Memorial Church members don't develop a healthy self-acceptance and don't have proper self-worth, in the way God means us to have.

I don't know if any other ex-SMC folk have noticed how they sometimes change the words of songs because they think the words are not up to scratch. One example is in the Song: "Crucified, laid behind the stone", SMC changed the line that says about Jesus "You took the fall, And thought of me, above all" to "You took the fall and rose again, above all." You see it there: you're not supposed to think about or consider "Me". Thankfully, God does think of you and me.

At SMC prayer-meetings, they pray a lot for the Cedars School as well, which just shows they are only interested in their own concerns and how these affect their lives, and jobs, of course! I remember how a number of us wanted to start praying at SMC for things that were happening overseas. But we were told, O that's not our vision, that's not what we're called to do. So that was the end of that idea. I believe they may be praying a little for overseas issues now, but only because of a few members getting involved in such.

Date: January 16, 2014 12:55AM

Hi folks

YES, Happy Survivor and Rensil, this is exactly where I'm coming from.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit, as I read it in the Bible, are given to you to open your spiritual eyes to connect with the souls of every living being on the planet. This way you can speak to all sorts of different people and spread the word about the human connection to the spirit or soul, if you prefer. Speaking in tongues - as I read it - is only ONE of the MANY gifts of the spirit but SMC put so much emphasis on this ONE gift they seem to have forgotten about the others and have turned it into some kind of mantra instead of being respectful of the true enlightenment that should come with such a gift.

The disciples in the upper room were blessed with being able to speak in many different languages so that even people who were foreign in Jerusalem could understand what the disciples were saying and hear them praising God in their own languages.

As you say, Happy Survivor, the gift of the baptism in the Holy Spirit should embolden you to go out and spread the word of the spiritual connection that all living things have to the creator and to each other and that recognising this connection gives us the total power of the Spirit.

After the disciples received the gift of tongues (ie: speaking other languages than their own) they went out to different lands and became the first missionaries. Why? because they could now speak the languages of the lands God sent them to.

This is why I believe so many people fake the baptism in the Holy Spirit, at least in SMC, if all were truly baptised in the spirit wouldn't you expect to hear some modern day languages being spoken?

How can SMC equate what they call 'speaking in tongues' with what the Bible actually tells us this gift is about.

In the first instance, a visible bright light (as bright as a flame but not necessarily a flame as we know it) appears above the heads of the disciples and the people around could see this light. AFTER the bright light the disciples suddenly had the knowledge of different languages and were praising God in languages which were previously unknown to them. The people who gathered around who were foreigners in Jerusalem could understand the words the disciples were saying. The disciples then went out to the various places God sent them and they not only preached God's Word but they also began to perform miracles, which are also gifts of the Holy Spirit.

SMC place a lot of emphasis on speaking in tongues as if this were the greatest of God's gifts and yet when they 'speak in tongues' it seems, for the most part, to be just gibberish. You might be persuaded that these are ancient languages that we don't know any more. I've studied a few and can say that this COULD be the case in perhaps only about four or five people I have listened to speaking in tongues, in the past 50 years, as for the multitude of others I've heard - in SMC - I can only say that I think they just get a bit carried away by their own emotions.

These days we can go and learn the language of another land whenever we want to but my understanding of the gift of 'speaking in tongues' is that people receiving this gift would automatically be able to speak and understand a foreign language - without having to go and learn it - and this gift would enable them to go to that land as a missionary from God.

In SMC it's viewed as being able to praise God in an ancient language that only He understands and if someone stands up and gives a 'message' in tongues it requires an interpreter to stand up after them and give the message in English for all to understand. But that's not what I'm reading in the Bible regarding this gift. No interpreter was needed because all the people gathered around could hear their own languages being spoken.

In other words, the disciples weren't speaking ancient languages that only God could understand so why would the gift of tongues not be the same today as it was in Biblical times, with people speaking the various different languages from around the world today?

SMC perceive this gift as a mark of how 'Holy' a person is but, as Happy Survivor points out, it is a gift for OUTREACH and spiritual connection with all our brothers and sisters in the world.

I have a theory about the shouting loudly in tongues during prayer times and I believe this is to ensure the congregation are focused on the noise and working themselves up into a hysterical mass until they are not able to hear the 'still small voice' telling them just to shut up and LISTEN to what God is whispering in their spiritual ears.

I think it's very unwise of SMC leaders to place such emphasis on this ONE gift of the spirit while side-lining all the other gifts, which are (to my mind) far more important because they involve helping, nurturing, healing, teaching OTHER people and are not PERSONAL gifts for your own use. The gift of tongues was not given to the disciples for their OWN use but to help them to spread the Word in foreign lands. The bright light which fell on them ('as tongues of fire') opened their inner spiritual mind to realise their connection to all around them and to give them the assurance that they could help other people to realise that connection too and 'save their souls'.

The connection to your spiritual side can only be made in times of quiet and peace. When you block out the material world and reach for God in you, the peace and calmness and clarity of thought that this brings gives you the strength and wisdom to carry on your day-to-day life and interact with the people around you in a way which affects them, often without you even having to say a word.

You will never make this connection in a room full of people shouting and babbling all at once. You might feel you have made the connection because your mechanical brain gets pleasure from the hysterical atmosphere - just as if you were at a concert or a Red Arrows fly-past and a blast of adrenaline followed by a dose of endorphins makes you feel high as a kite.

To my mind a true spiritual connection is only made when our mouths and brains are silent and empty and our inner, spiritual, ears are open and in tune with the spirit rather than the material flesh, bones and vocal chords.

I don't know if it's the same today as it was when I attended SMC, but I don't remember a single prayer time in Greenock or at camps when everyone just silently prayed and meditated on God, without saying a word out loud.

I do believe there is a time for outward worship and thanking God for His grace and love but there is also a time for worshipping or meditating quietly in your heart and soul. Now if you spend every spare moment in meetings in which people are shouting and babbling, when do you actually get the time for that all important QUIETNESS of mind and body to strengthen the spiritual connection you have to all of creation?

SMC don't teach quiet meditation, in fact they view this as less than holy and actively discourage you from listening to that 'still small voice', saying that it is the voice of satan 'casting doubts in your mind' - in spite of the fact that the Bible tells us the spirit will speak to us in a 'still small voice' and we should LISTEN intently for this voice and obey its instruction. Satan doesn't need to deceive the masses, he only needs to deceive the LEADERS because he knows that the masses will follow them like sheep.

Remember the temptation of Jesus? Satan promised Jesus power and glory over all the lands he saw from the mountain top. He didn't go and tempt the disciples because he knew he only had to deceive their LEADER to win the battle and the disciples would follow Jesus no matter what.

This also reminds me of the 'vision of the 10 cities' reportedly seen by DR and the very wording of her recounting the 'vision' that SHE would be raised up and 'known' by all in those towns. Does this sound familiar now? Except Jesus rebutted the devil because the power and glory are not Satan's to give to anyone but DR seems to have been revelling in it and actually appears to BELIEVE this outright lie, since she is passing it on as a 'vision from God'.

Clearly this is not a vision from God since HIS would be the power and glory and not a mere mortal's.

I haven't heard of prophesies from the other current leaders but perhaps those who have most recently come out of the organisation can enlighten me to any they've heard. But since the prophesies I do know of, over the last 50 years at least, have never yet come true it is pretty safe to assume that none of these prophesies were truly from God. Or, if they were, then the leaders themselves have stood in the way of their fulfilment.

As always, biiiiiiiig love and huge hugggggggs to all here and in the rest of the world.
God Bless xxxxxx

Date: January 23, 2014 05:01AM

Hi folks

This is very worthwhile watching.

This wee girl has cottoned on to the REAL TRUTH of the message in the Bible and the leaders of SMC would be advised to watch this and weep for shame.

A girls' message to all Christians

Enjoy this and FEEL the simplicity of the message - it's so EASY to get it and put it into practice.

LOVE is the single most important thing we can share in this world.

As always, biiiiiiiiiiig love and huge huggggggggs to everyone.
God Bless xxxxx

Date: February 01, 2014 06:14PM

Hi all

I've been looking to see if OSCR have posted anything yet regarding Struthers Memorial Church but it seems the investigation is still ongoing.

I was also reading an interview with A Spiers regarding Cedars School, mentioned on Latigo, in which she states:

Encouragement of potential, respect for others, and a partnership to promote excellence form significant parts of this small school's clear Christian ethos, and a recognition of success in achieving those aims was equally apparent in an outstanding HMIE report of 2005.

However, try as I might, I cannot seem to find this 'outstanding HMIE report of 2005'.

Does anyone have a link to this or can anyone point me in the right direction to get a read at this report? I'd be really grateful for the info.

As always biiiiiiiiig love and huge huggggggs to all
God Bless xxxx

Date: February 02, 2014 12:15AM

Hi again folks

Sorry, I just had to post again today to tell you that I have finally got my answer to just how powerful prayer can be.

Watch this video and listen carefully to this converted Satanist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKsZ5TkzWY

There is a spiritual warfare on the way. The devil worshippers are preparing for it every day but most Christians don't even believe it's happening, even 'GOOD' Christians don't want to talk about this stuff but the truth is that we ALL need to prepare for this warfare and it's now been confirmed to me that our ONLY defence is the power of PRAYER.

Now I understand just how important Prayer is in preparation against the darkness sweeping across the world right now.

That's the most damning thing about the teaching in SMC - they teach you to DISDAIN anyone who doesn't attend Struthers Memorial Church or anyone they don't approve of (even your own family members). They teach you to profess Christ Jesus with your mouth but to hold something completely different in your heart. That's NOT what Jesus teaches us in the Bible. He teaches us to LOVE everyone - even those in dark places - completely and UNCONDITIONALLY and to use the power of prayer to change peoples' lives, including our own lives.

This is the most powerful testimony I have ever heard and it has prompted me to destroy all the things I own, which I believed were harmless but now know differently. Most of all, it has prompted me to re-commit my life to the Lord Jesus Christ and follow him completely and without holding anything back in my heart.

Praise Jesus, for He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords!! Hallelujah!

Prayer holds the power to overcome and destroy satan even in the highest places on this earth. Now I understand it Lord, thank you for finally opening my eyes! AMEN!

As always, biiiiiiiiig love and huge hugggggs to all - my prayers are with you daily.
God Bless you all richly and keep you only unto Him xxx

PS: A shorter, but no less powerful, version of this man's testimony can be found at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnRJ31c1vU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2014 12:24AM by cbarb-again.

Date: February 02, 2014 05:17AM

OH WOW!!!

I think this girl's been to Struthers Memorial Church!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RqstehQd7Y

It's obvious that we are not alone in our condemnation of the goings on in SMC and other so-called churches like it.

As always, biiiiiiiig love and huge hugggggggs to all
God Bless xxxx

Date: February 02, 2014 05:42AM

Here I am again.

Now this is what I've been trying to say about speaking in tongues but could not put it as succinctly as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMkpn0iZonA

As always biiiiiiiiiig love and huge hugggggggggs to all
God Bless xxxxx

Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:30AM

Thanks, Cbarb-again, for posting the YouTube link, entitled "16 Ways to know your Pastor is acting like a Super-Spiritual Controlling Puppeteer".

Quoting Cbarb-again, "I think this girl's been to Struthers Memorial Church!"

Here's the link:-
[www.youtube.com] "

I watched it and, yes, totally identical to the way the pastors/leaders behave towards their sheep in Struthers Memorial Church. For example, congregants like what the Pastor likes and dislike whatever he/she dislikes; congregants are not allowed to question the Pastor or his authority; the Pastor hears from God and you don't; the Pastor has a special anointing and nobody else has; manipulative control re giving money; disregard for the poor.

Please watch this YouTube video, folks. It's really good. If you are still in Struthers Memorial Church, please watch it and don't disregard the alarm bells which will sound.

I haven't watched the Tongues video yet, but I was speaking to someone (I'll call her A) last week who had been taken to Struthers Memorial Church Saturday night meeting by a lady (B) who is a member. A told me she became upset and a bit scared when what seemed to be the whole congregation began to speak in loud tongues together. A thought this sounded very strange and was like people wailing and mourning. She became so upset that she said to B that she wished to leave the meeting and go home, whereupon B told her that she couldn't do that because the main doors of the church were locked and nobody was supposed to leave until the very end. This made A panic and she felt even more upset. So she got up to leave and eventually someone came after her to unlock the doors and let her exit the church. She told me she will never go back in there again and that she couldn't understand what was going on in the meeting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 08:33AM by Rensil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.