Current Page: 91 of 174
Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: April 13, 2013 04:29AM

It must be because you were just a kid back then, Cbarb, but I'm not surprised you didn't know who was who and who was married to who, because they don't make it very obvious within SMC circles and married couples rarely serve alongside one another.

Mrs Grace Gault is Hugh Black's youngest daughter of the three. She married Wesley Gault in the 1970s. She is now main leader of SMC and was given this position after her sister, Mary Black, passed on. Mary decided and "God told her" that Grace was the person who should take over the reigns so that's what happened. She is also Minister of the Greenock branch. Mr Gault doesn't have any active leadership role, which is strange, when you consider most other church leadership and eldership patterns, or let alone Biblical instruction on the matter of elders.
So, you see, Grace has been brought up in SMC from babyhood and hasn't known any other way of living or any other form of church teaching or mode of conducting meetings. And, yes, that makes SMC still a family affair with the Blacks, or a Black, at the centre and at the top of the hierarchy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cbarb ()
Date: April 14, 2013 08:10AM

Ah, now I remember Wesley Gault but I thought he had a fairly active role in at least one of the outlying churches, at one point - did he not? A lovely man, from my recollections now! But I was, as you say, still a kid then so I may not be remembering too clearly :-)

Biiiiig love and huge huggggs
God Bless
xxx

Date: April 15, 2013 01:09AM

Hi all

The thing about being brought up in the church, from baby-hood, is that the shouting in tongues and the need for regular 'deliverance' sessions were the norm and you believed that this was how it was with God and with being a Christian.

I didn't start to really question things until I was around 16 -18. Then I began to read the Bible for myself and try to equate what the words made me feel to what I was being told from the pulpits of SMC. I guess I was lucky, to some extent, to have a father who didn't altogether agree with the higher powers of the church and was very approachable when it came to questioning things you didn't understand.

I really didn't have a single clue about any other churches until I left SMC and began understanding what living with God is all about. I remember being pleasantly surprised that God would still answer my prayers even although I wasn't attending SMC any more.

I'm now a lot older and lot wiser and have seen God working MORE outside of SMC than I ever saw inside. That's not to say that God was never at work in SMC – of course he was because He's always at work in the lives of those who choose to acknowledge Him and allow Him to give them support through life.

However, with regards to the so-called anointing of the leaders of SMC, that's another matter entirely. How can anyone continue to claim such a special gift and yet not use it to the BENEFIT of people and the church; but instead use it to CONTROL the masses with thinly veiled accusations, dressed up as insights or 'discernments'. The God I know would not bestow such a precious gift just to hurl accusations at the flock. No, such a gift would be used to HELP and SUPPORT those in need – THAT'S what the God I know would do with such discernment power. This is also why I do not believe, for one second, that these people have any special anointing or knowledge other than that which is totally human and derived from gossip.

Should young kids be still being fed this utter TOSH??

What of the parents who take their children to SMC now? Do they realise that their children could be severely, mentally and spiritually, affected by such teaching? I'm not just saying that – I AM a product of SMC and there are many, many others like me (who don't post here) who have had their varying degrees of mental and spiritual anguish since being involved in the church. Some have thrived and gone on to more productive lives elsewhere but others still live in the daily struggle with their SMC 'demons'.

This is NOT a place to bring up your children! There are many other excellent churches out there, who preach the TRUE word of God and ANY of these would be far better than taking your kids to SMC – you have to believe me in that one because I speak from the experiences of MANY, not just myself. In fact, I count myself lucky because I have gotten off a lot lighter than most whom I know are still struggling.

If anything, I would put an age-limit of 18 on anyone attending SMC at all – because it's a triple X rated church – in the sense of being cultish and hazardous to your health!

Biiiig love and huge huggggggs to all
God Bless xxx

Posted by: mandrake ()
Date: April 15, 2013 05:32AM

Have to say I agree with CBarb about the influence of SMC on young, impressionable children. Long term psychological damage can be done to them which is difficult to overcome in adulthood. Just finished reading a very revealing autobiography by Jenna Miscavige Hill called " Beyond Belief" about her life inside Scientology and her harrowing escape. Also read some of the testimonies of people abused by priests in the Catholic church in Scotland. One man remembers being abused and afterwards told to stop crying as God didn't like boys who cry. How awful and confusing that must have been to square a God that didn't like you if you cried but was ok with abuse. new meaning to Suffer the little children. Makes me wonder what is wrong with attending the good old churches like Church of Scotland where they celebrate God and his work without trying to control your life. Thinking God is all knowing and seeing and there fore does not need middleman so to speak, everyone has access to him, So the reason for attending church is to celebrate with like minded people, worship God not the oh to human pastors with all their oh so human flaws, which they then try and impose on others.

Love to all ! keep up the good and righteous fight.

Posted by: Ifellaway ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:58AM

Triple X-rated church ( I use the term "church" loosely now..). Lol, Cbarb! That sums it up.
I have been recently telling all kinds of people about my time attending SMC. Ok I agree that, in some places in some times, " more fervent prayer" is acceptable and appropriate. Every man and woman I have recanted tales to have been horrified.
I tried even to put a rational spin on some stories. (ie, attendance not compulsory...unless you want not to go to hell. and of course you can leave at any time...if you do definitely want to go to hell)
But the results are the same. I am in no doubt that this org does more damage than good. In fact, over the years, the damage is yet unmeasured, yet good continues to trickle out. Not even bad leadership can stop this.
CovLass, I read your story with an aching soul. And others too. I am fed up rationalising and indeed have been instructed to stop it. For my own sake..
So I am now spreading my experiences around and, gauging by reactions, mostly from people with faith, there are so many concerns, but how has this gone under the radar of most.
I have checked that Care Commission (called something else now? I forget..) have submitted a satisfactory report on Cedars. Yet it seems that too many of the right people are wholly unaware of how insular and integrated the whole org is.
Unanimously, among those I am telling, the opinion is that smc is not a church...just a cleverly camoed church.
Furthermore, I am meeting with Pastors of churches who have seen smc results (not ALL bad, but still...). They see the reputation of smaller flocks being tainted by people thinking that they are smc-types. This church is scaring people away from meaningful religions/congregations.
My Muslim brothers equate this type of control as the very same as terrorist organisations use to twist Islam into a weapon. And terrorism is not always in the form of the physical. I know there are people here who are victims of terrorism by smc.
Spreading the word has been thusfar therapeutic for me. I feel more awake and enlightened than I've felt for years. Thanks RRForum and the genuinely helpful souls here. (Incidently, analytical behavioural experts have a well-established link that shows the more suble the mind control: the harder it is to address or undo. I guess this makes sense, bury it deep then it's hard to dig at.)
Back to the future though! Kids are still in danger and I feel this is something that needs ongoing attention. Heads are turning and closer looks are being had. I did come across someone who outright did not believe that, as a pre-teen, I was encouraged (subtly...) to spend hours of discomfort on my knees, like my pain would please God?? Can anyone agree with me here? Of course, we were allowed to leave, but you feared to complain because that would mean you were inferior in the worshipping department. We all want to please. I do know that at one point, I was more concerned with what the leaders' opinions of me were, than whether or not God was pleased with me. Perhaps because I know that God forgives and can see all. The leaders would need visible proof. How screwed up is that?
Anyway, hope everyone is keeping hale'n'hearty. And, as per usual, I have totally forgotten what I came to say. Oh yeah! I have been telling my stories to anyone in a position to have concerns and be able to bump them up the foodchain. Certainly in Social Care circles, this treatment of children is absolutely against all laws and policies. People cannot believe how hidden this all is.
And in social circles...well, I'm no longer ashamed to say how bad I was fooled. I don't feel judged gullible and there have been strong reactions by some, that this still goes on.
An aside but I have to ask...Does anyone notice a difference between East and West portions of smc. I think I see Greenock, Cumbernauld etc as the thick end of the stick, where the failings of leadership are more evident. East of Falkirk seems to be less obviously controlling....or are they just better at it?? I see a few former eastern branches have left smc and seem to be doing just fine worshipping and learning under their own umbrella. Outreach work is more evident and leaders don't dictate, they guide. And their numbers swell. Congregations are tolerant and kind and I have heard nothing of the negativity associated with smc. Just wondering...
Have a nice week everyone. Thanks for your time. Be in touch.. Ifellaway.

Date: April 17, 2013 08:32AM

Good to hear from you again, Ifellaway. Just wondered if you could clarify something you wrote.

Which SMC branches are east of Falkirk? Do you mean the Edinburgh branch? It is very small. I can't think of any others. Also there is Gorebridge which once went out from and is now back in, under SMC auspices. To my knowledge, from hearing people's stories, these branches are just as controlling as the main ones in the west. Their leaders are under the control of the leaders in the west so they adhere to the same teaching. If you've heard something else, let us know. Or are you just guessing that they're less controlling? Things can appear sweet and rosy on the outside until one gets involved and experiences what is really going on.

If churches east of Falkirk, such as Tranent, are no longer within SMC, then they will be led in a different (and healthy, guiding) way and will most likely be doing outreach and growing. But these groupings, as far as I know, don't fellowship with SMC and probably wouldn't be welcome to, because they had disaffiliated or because the particular SMC branch was closed.

Latigo has a newly updated list of the Struthers branch churches and a list of those which have been closed or have disaffiliated, plus information on the numbers currently attending. See under the "Home" menu on Latigo website.

Posted by: Ifellaway ()
Date: April 19, 2013 03:22AM

Yep, you're right Rensil. (Ambiguity has its drawbacks...). There's Falkirk and Edinburgh left. I remember a Gorebridge outpost (disaffiliated or gone..not sure), Wallyford, Tranent (is now a different fellowship). There were other fledgling flocks that maybe just never got the numbers to need a community buiding.
I'm not sure if the list was on Latigo...but I saw a list somewhere of smc branches and some (eg, Kirkby Christian Fellowship who seem to have broken away). Might have been a typo, but I noticed Edinburgh were not as obviously linked. It's what made me think that some leaders were trying to distance from the corruption. It gave me some comfort/hope, sort of.
They seem now to be exclusively Western. Like I have said...Councils in that neck of the woods seem to be very accommodating. Others find this odd too.
Some find it worrying.
I have never heard of branches in Fife, Tayside or any more Northern. I'll check that list on latigo, but I ask, in general (just curiosity maybe, don't know, sometimes call it gut feeling, but anyway..) does anyone remember any branches from outside of what can only be seen as their stronghold?
I'm just starting to get that today's branches and the school all seem to fall under the authority of a limited number of councils. Is the implementation of stringent rules enforced by most councils having the effect of curtailing smc expansion?
Progress? I think so.
But the same offenders mentioned here are still sitting atop the org and a related school continues to apparently fulfill all the necessary criteria. So victims are still in production. Erego, we must continue to do what we can. Thanks to the speed of transmission of information and the easy access to global audiences, everyone can pass insight on.
Still the main issue here though, good people still waiting for somekind of recognition , even an admission or two, though really, we don't expect anything, so I'm just going stick around and continue to (hopefully helpfully) contribute. Hope nobody here minds and I never mean to offend.
I found warmth and reassurance here, albeit coupled with the extreme disappointment in smc. I feel welcome and welcomed and have been heartened and strengthened by people here. Thanks all.
Regards always, and happy days, Ifellaway

Date: April 20, 2013 04:15AM

Hi Ifellaway

I don't know of any other northern branches myself but there are one or two further South, such as Pudsey and somewhere nearer London I think but I don't know whether or not there is the same controlling pastoring involved there. But I'm sure there'll be someone here who can shed some light on whether or not things are different in the South?

Biiiiiig love and huge huggggggs
xxxxx

Date: April 20, 2013 04:19AM

Oh... and 'The Refuge' in Wendover. I forgot that one and it has a thread all of it's own on this forum - so I guess that one is pretty much run the same way as those in the West of Scotland.

xxx

Date: April 20, 2013 05:51AM

Can I again reiterate, please look at the Latigo articles on: How many members does SMC have? These articles, one posted about 2 years ago and the other, a newly updated one, posted last month or thereabouts, give information on the branches which are in existence and those which once were but have now closed. Of the latter there are a fair number, which seems a contradiction to what SMC claim, that they are growing and have a number of branches throughout Scotland and England and Wales. The articles also give the number of people who attend each branch; again, the numbers are not great compared to other evangelical, Pentecostal churches in Scotland.

I really don't think the eastern branches are any less controlling nor that they're trying to distance themselves from the western ones. As far as I know, they are very loyal to the churches and leaders in the west. They may be smaller but their attendees are steeped in Struthers teaching and ways of living, just the same as attendees in the west. It's maybe because SMC began in Greenock and then spread to Glasgow that these branches seem to be more dominant. Miss Taylor and the Blacks were from Greenock so that was where the main root sprang up, and then they set up Glasgow then Falkirk. And then out of the Glasgow church came the Cumbernauld church, all with leaders schooled by Miss T and the Blacks. You're right though, Ifellaway. The west does seem to be where their stronghold is.

The branches in England demonstrate the same control and SMC teaching as the Scottish ones. Some of us have heard accounts of this from people who've left these branch churches down south. There have been some who've posted on here. The Refuge in Wendover is led by a woman who was schooled in the Glasgow Church for years by Miss Taylor, Hugh Black and Mary Black. So, enough said. It's just as controlling, insular and damaging to people's spiritual and emotional lives, as the branches in Scotland.

In the north of Scotland, there was once a Struthers branch in Montrose but it closed as it had hardly any members eventually. I know of no others. Maybe someone else does.

Current Page: 91 of 174

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.