Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Posted by: cbarb-again ()
Date: October 09, 2013 11:09PM

Hi folks

I'm appalled by the threats received by Happy Survivor and I understand you feeling the need to back down from posting on the forum. But let me tell you that not all SMC sympathisers will treat you this way though. I know many who will not speak against SMC, whether they disagree with their practices or not, but I have never received any threats or been subjected to such bullying behaviour and that's totally appalling. I should also say that my choice of nickname here doesn't actually disguise who I am and the leaders (and a few of the current congregation) will be well aware of who I am, but I have never received the kind of treatment you have, Happy Survivor. I agree with other posters who say you should inform the police of this threat, it's abhorrent behaviour.

I agree with some of what Clive said and I do feel that sometimes we are a bit quick to 'pounce' when someone posts a pro-SMC message and that perhaps discourages the current members or sympathisers from making any posts at all - I am guilty of 'pouncing' at times myself.

Our comments may sometimes look like we are bombarding a particular poster, however if you acknowledge the fact that there's somewhere in the region of 50 posters here and each has their own burning issues and questions. So someone makes a post which is PRO-SMC and everyone wants to ask their questions at the same time - thus it looks like the poster is being harassed because so many people reply to their comment at once - usually with many questions they have been looking for answers to for a long time.

You will agree, Clive, that we are all very civil here even if the debate gets somewhat heated at times but what is not acceptable is the new poster replying to comments with accusations and a bullying tone and then further trying to make personal attacks on posters here - which obviously got Bingowings banned and rightly so. Had they not tried to post personal attacks they would not have been banned from posting.

To answer your other point regarding some of the things which have been posted here about DR. The leaders of SMC are public servants, being the directors of a charity and are therefore under public scrutiny as well as our scrutiny. Talking openly about how we feel about this woman and the other directors of SMC is no different from discussing our local MPs or David Cameron or anyone else in the public eye.

It does pay to be a bit wary when someone new makes a post, since you can't be quite sure of their motives unless they come right out and be quite clear about them. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be truthful but they should at least be given a shot. I think we're quite a 'discerning' bunch here and can soon pick up on whether someone has an ulterior motive for posting.

We don't condemn SMC sympathisers or the current members of SMC because they have a right to live as they see fit (even if we believe they are outrageously misguided) but we do condemn sneakiness and under-hand tactics to try and undermine or intimidate members of this forum - who have already suffered more than enough at the hands of SMC.

On the other hand, members and sympathisers of SMC should not condemn us for speaking out against the quite unholy practices of the SMC leaders and, if they are in any way connected with the threats made to Happy Survivor, then they are saying one thing about loving your enemies while doing the opposite themselves and they should do a little soul-searching of their own (especially if they profess to be a Christian) before preaching to the converted.

This discussion is not founded on religion or even Christianity - when you strip it down to the basics, this discussion is founded on the corruption and malpractice in an organisation which claims Charitable status and is failing in their service to the public. Not only are they failing in this service they continue to try and sweep the problems under the carpet in the hope that no one will notice and they'll be left to their own devices till 'Kingdom Come'.

We may sometimes quote Bible verses to reinforce a point or illustrate a question, we may talk about Christianity in-as-much-as it relates to the Charitable Company of SMC (their Christian beliefs are included in their mission statement) but fundamentally this is not really a religious discussion.

The heart of this discussion revolves around the directors of SMC believing that they are completely unaccountable for any actions they take or anything they say, due to some imagined holy anointing - which somehow absolves them of accountability for anything.

It's due to the fact that most people who have had involvement with SMC, but don't agree with their practices, have moved on elsewhere and decided to 'let sleeping dogs lie'. This attitude means no one even bothered to scrutinise the church accounts or ask questions regarding their controlling and cult-like behaviour and it's benefit to the local communities - many had no idea of the circumstances surrounding HB's blast on the stock-market and subsequent huge losses of church funds. Then along came this forum and Latigo214 and more people began to ask questions about the accountability of the directors of SMC - both legally and to the local community.

I get drawn into the religious debate myself but it is really only a sub-category of the main debate and is important to the debate only to illustrate the lies, and falsehood of the outrageous claims and public speaking practices of an organisation which seeks to control members, using religion as a medium.

Many people suspected corruption was rife in the organisation but had no solid proof and didn't want to be seen as being 'bitter' or unchristian. Most did not speak of it and so were unaware that others had similar doubts. Thanks to Latigo214, the burning questions so many wanted to ask but were afraid to were made public and asked on a public platform - for all to read. In spite of this, no answers have ever been forthcoming from the directors of SMC - either to the questions on Latigo or to the questions posed here.

Instead, they come here and pick up the 'less nasty' subject of the SMC Rule-Book and start flinging proverbial mud at various posters. It's a pity none of them come here to explain where quarter of a million in 'Restricted Funds' disappeared to - in light of HB's unholy flutter with the church funds in the past, I would have expected the directors to be a lot more careful and frugal in the years since. Why have they not come here to explain why the PAID members of the church are mostly from the same two families? Why have they not come here to explain why they proclaim that the school is paying for itself when this is clearly untrue if the published accounts are correct?

These are just a few of the most important questions we have been asking and, since we have received no clear and reasonable answers to these questions, our belief that the organisation is corrupt at its core is strengthened; it follows that a corrupt organisation cannot possibly be a 'Holy' organisation, in Biblical terms.

As always, biiiiiiig love and huge huggggggs to all
God Bless xxx

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: October 10, 2013 01:33AM

Clive
We are quite willing to have people from SMC posting here or to have them answer our questions which we have been asking for over two years now and, on a personal basis, for many years in some cases. But we can't accept postings which have an aggressive, intimidating tone towards those of us who were once in SMC and have suffered abuse whilst we were in this church. We welcome conversation but do not welcome arrogant and rude criticisms of what we say on here and about us as ex-members. The leaders of this church, SMC, which claims to be one of the holiest on earth, surely know that "A gentle answer turns away wrath". (Proverbs)

I trust the RR Moderator and I am glad that we have him/her to monitor things on here. I don't think he would ban anyone without good reason. If you look back at for example, Bingowings's postings a few pages back, you will see how nasty and derogatory they were. In addition, Bingowings apparently wrote personal attacks on posters who contribute here and these presumably were disallowed from the Thread, so we haven't seen these. And that is why, according to the Moderator, Bwings was banned. I accept that.

I'm not aware of anyone "pouncing" on pro-SMC posters. We all have a right to speak on here and if we respond to a post or ask questions, that's fine. This Forum has helped so many people. It's purpose is to expose and warn and inform about the wrong practices carried out by SMC. If you want to read pro-SMC stuff, then you can go and read the Struthers website. But this Cult Education Forum's purpose is to expose abusive and destructive churches and cults.

Happy Survivor, just to say I am with you and I support you. Keep strong and don't let anyone intimidate you. You will get there. It may take time, but you will recover fully and get strong. You are out, you are free. Keep going!

Cornelius, hello. Your sense of humour is amazing! Love it!

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 10, 2013 05:19AM

If anyone wants to see the trend of a particular member's posts, you can read them all in a bundle by using the search function.

Go to upper right corner. Find the search function.

Look for the author slot and put the name (eg, bingowings) into the slot.

Select 'all dates'.

This will pull up every post BW has written. You can take a quick skim and get the flavour.

This message board is ten plus years old. So its a good habit to select 'all dates' whenever you run a search. That way you get everything.

Two, its most interesting to see whether an author is entirely nice on thread A and behaves differently on thread B.

Or starts out nicely at first and then shows true colours after dialogue begins.

Posted by: Clive ()
Date: October 11, 2013 06:53AM

Rensil
Clive

If you look back at for example, Bingowings's postings a few pages back, you will see how nasty and derogatory they were. In addition, Bingowings apparently wrote personal attacks on posters who contribute here and these presumably were disallowed from the Thread, so we haven't seen these. And that is why, according to the Moderator, Bwings was banned.

OK - i just searched for all the Bingowings posts left on here - just so I could "see" how "nasty and derogatory they were"...

here they are - all THREE of them... :

******* 1 *********

Happy Survivor: what are these "insane rules and regulations"? I've presumably been at the same meetings as you and I don't recall them being handed down. Are you just making stuff up? Again, exact quotes please and I will go away and check who said what

The question was directed at happy survivor and you have distorted it. There are no "rules" that I am aware of. If you are going to accuse people of being "insane" and "sheep like" you should have some evidence. It would be easy to get a recording of a specific sermon (it's not about going to "leaders"), and then go to the preacher and ask for clarification. or ask for a rule book which sets out membership requirements. You know there is no such thing, so stop the nonsense.

******* 2 ***********
Cbarb, to be honest, I've never read such an inaccurate representation of life in this church. There is no rule book and loads of members go on holiday and play sports, even as far back as the 80s. In fact Hugh black was very encouraging of it. Do you believe this stuff you write?

******* 3 ***********
Chesterk55. I'm not very interested in what you claim are the rules, but what they actually are. What insane rules did Mrs Gault hand down, when and how did she do it. Times, dates, people that can be verified. If that can't be done, where does that leave you?

I'm sorry but i seem to be missing something here - where exactly is the nastiness here ?

This mega-torrent of "nasty" posts - all THREE of them !! - must really be meeting some thin skins- because all I see here is a feisty riposte. Nasty ? really? I'm sorry - hardly - unless RRmoderator has deleted tons of other "nasty" responses from Bingowings - I fail to see anything remotely one cold consider nasty. We here have posted tons of stuff fired off in moments of emotion and for sure plenty of allegations directed at individuals too that in a court of law might even border on being libel. Just saying. If you guys want to seriously open up a debate here you need to get used to getting back like for like.

And heres a request to RRmoderator - I would be very interested to see those censored Bingowings posts in PM if oyu can send me them - just ot see how vile they were. Of course I would never repost them, but I really am curious just as to how "nasty" these personal deleted posts of her/him really got. Did anyone manage to see the posts before they were taken down ?

And seriously - wouldn't it have done our cause more good to leave the posts here - for everyone to see just how nasty the SMC apologists were getting ?

If this BingoWings truly WAS one of the pastors as suggested by one poster here - then it would have done her and SMC more PR damage to leave them here. In fact after a while I wouldnt be surprised if Bingowings later actually REQUESTED RRmoderator to remove her/his posts !.

Let the SMC nastiness be laid bare for all to see I say.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 06:55AM by Clive.

Posted by: Chesterk55 ()
Date: October 11, 2013 07:23AM

Clive

You have consistently criticised other posters on this forum, denegrated the value of other websites discussing Struthers, claimed you have superior insight because you are an atheist, and even once claimed you have more worthwhile insight on the basis that you are not female.

Now you are not only criticising the Moderator but asking him to give you banned posts so you can presumably then tell us all if you think he is doing his job to your satisfaction.

Do you have anything to say about the subject of this forum: Struthers Memorial Church?

If you do I'm sure there are some people posting here who might then be interested in reading your posts. If you do not then perhaps you should take the advice you have on occasion given to all of us and stop posting until you have something relevant to say.

Posted by: Cornelius Dredd ()
Date: October 12, 2013 01:32AM

Clive, you say, let the nastiness be laid bare for all to see. Quite right and so it is.
OK, some might say, "sticks and stones.." and perspectives on nastiness vary, but the tone and contempt is the nastiness, especially to those who know they were being directly addressed.
Why should we have to have thick skins just to read childish (and nasty, derogatory and insulting) posts? Haven't some here had enough of being spoken to by smc in that manner?
I know the gracious side of you will agree they have had their share.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 12, 2013 10:32PM

To require a thick skinned response seems to run counter to this counsel:

Ezekiel 36:26 NIV - I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+36%3A26... - 72k - Cached - Similar pages

Cornelius Dredd wrote:

Why should we have to have thick skins just to read childish (and nasty, derogatory and insulting) posts? Haven't some here had enough of being spoken to by smc in that manner?

We look for Christian community and counsel to gain the wisdom of serpents and the gentleness of doves.

Not the the other way around.

And an honorable community does not pluck feathers from the doves, either.

Posted by: Clive ()
Date: October 14, 2013 11:56AM

corboy
To require a thick skinned response seems to run counter to this counsel:

Ezekiel 36:26 NIV - I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

Ezekiel eh ?

Jesus: "But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

( Matthew 5:39 )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 12:00PM by Clive.

Posted by: Cornelius Dredd ()
Date: October 14, 2013 04:40PM

Err, I doubt Jesus meant turn the other cheek constantly! Not that I was there but I don't believe he would advocate continuing to let people speak down to their flock. Nor probably for any of that flock to meekly accept abusive, controlling behaviour.
And Clive, Bingowings was banned for rule-breaking, that's it. The fact that she was trying to be nasty to past victims of a screwed up place that puts (plenty) of food on her table... well that's just a bonus public display of how smc behave.
Anyway, they blew a chance to get in on a civilised discussion by being impudent and showing hostility. But seriously dude; do you think Jesus would tell some of the folks on this forum to turn the other cheek?? I know he lived a long time ago but there is a high chance he was fairly smart.
Enough cheek-turning has been done. Jesus isn't accredited with preaching for us to be mugs, as far as I know...
Regards one and all, Cornelius Dredd.

Posted by: Happy Survivor ()
Date: October 14, 2013 06:33PM

Hi folks!

I have decided to start posting again. I know my Christian friend is an avid follower of this thread and I have every confidence that she will rein in her husband the next time he gets over-excited. So no more worries about threats.

Far be it from me to distract anyone's attention from Clive's worthy campaign/mission to encourage us all to turn the other cheek...don't fret unduly,Clive, I'm sure we have all taken note and are all feeling suitably chastised and sorrowful!

I do have a more pressing problem though. I remember from my Struther's days often hearing about and also from those who had been miraculously cured of phobias of various kinds. Well, I appear to have developed a rather alarming phobia in recent days...see, when anyone mentions the word "Struthers", I take a terrible reaction! I really wouldn't like to describe the effect that the mention of this word has on me.

I must admit, I have wondered if Grace Gault or Diana Rutherford could be of assistance to me in overcoming this phobia. What if I promised to shout and scream in tongues at the top of my voice and made every effort to press through and to press through and to press through until...I collapsed in a heap on the floor? Would I have any success? Do you know what...I sincerely doubt it. I have come to the conclusion that for the Struthers thing to work for you, you have to believe it...not believe in God but believe in Struthers and in the leadership. And, the problem with me was that I never believed in Struthers and was never really fooled by Grace Gault and Co.

I have taken some steps of my own to try and overcome my phobia. I have taken to strolling past the Glasgow church on a Saturday night just before the action starts. I linger and watch the faithful ones scurrying in. I hope that by facing the source of the phobia head on I will be able to overcome it. I feel a strange mixture of emotions as I watch the Struthers folk arriving...deep sadness, grief, pain, anguish, pity, anger, and I suppose to release all these negative emotions, I also feel like collapsing in laughter at the complete absurdity of Struthers and it's self important and deluded leadership.

I walked past last night (Sun). The meeting was in full swing. The blinds were all open. My companion wondered was that to let the spirits out. We concluded it was probably just to show that they were open for business. Struthers will be open for business as long as there are those willing to attend. The leadership will continue, for now, to peddle its warped and twisted interpretation of Christianity. I am under no illusions...there is precious little any of us can do about it.

Happy Survivor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.