Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Date: September 01, 2013 09:16AM

It's been interesting to read your posts. I was with Kirkby Christian Fellowship in the 90s, when it was linked to Struthers. Mr Black used to come and preach at Kirkby Christian Fellowship, and I believe it was under the Struthers umbrella . Interesting how both churches are on this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Happy Survivor ()
Date: September 01, 2013 12:21PM

It's so encouraging and heartening to know that miracles and "signs following" are happening in SMC. Surely it is the proof we all so desperately need that, yes, God is protecting this very special "movement that He has raised up".

Let me give you the reason for my optimism...a very good friend from SMC shared a very touching story with me a few days ago. A dear friend of hers was listening to Grace Gault preaching a few years ago. As Grace was speaking, this dear lady saw sparks coming out of Grace's mouth.

I shared this lovely story with my fiancé who is a very practical man. His comment was that if he saw sparks coming out of someone's mouth he would call an electrician. And it would have to be a good electrician, because as I'm sure you will all agree this is not your run-of-the-mill electrical fault. I passed on my fiancé's comment to my dear friend from SMC. I have come to the conclusion that she doesn't have a sense of humour.

I did however say that I personally had never witnessed sparks coming out of mouths before and that the next time I heard Grace preach I would watch her mouth very closely. But, my friend told me that only her friend saw the sparks and that "it was a vision as it were", just for her. I was then told that we are not to look for such things. It would appear that they just happen.

I'm so glad that my friend from SMC shared the story of this vision/miracle with me. It has provided me with hours of laughter and general hilarity. My new nickname for Grace Gault is now "Vital Spark". I think for the sake of clarity on this forum, I should continue to refer to her as plain old "Grace Gault". I wouldn't like her to think more highly of herself than she ought.

Date: September 02, 2013 02:45PM

I sincerely hope that I haven't caused unnecessary alarm by recounting the sparks incident that occurred at SMC a few years ago. I had at one stage thought of informing Health & Safety as there is a potential fire risk if there are sparks flying about. I had also considered bringing a bucket of sand with me the next time I attend SMC. However, I now feel quite reassured...Mrs Speirs leads the singing with such gusto that I'm quite sure she would have enough puff to put out any ensuing fire. She is always on hand in the front pew, ready to assist. Anyway, the leaders' powers of discernment are so great that they would discern well in advance if there was a risk of fire. I will now draw a line under the sparks incident.

I was very interested when I attended a Saturday night meeting in Glasgow a few weeks ago to hear Grace Gault's interpretation of a message in tongues. If I remember correctly she issued a stern warning/threat to anyone who would stretch a hand out against a work of God. I think she might have been thinking of Moses in the Old Testament. Personally speaking, I don't believe that Grace Gault has the place in world history that Moses has or that SMC is in a pivotal position in world events. But then again, maybe I am missing something.

I attended the Glasgow meeting this Saturday just past. Mr Andrew Jewell was preaching. He spoke about how the Pharisees laid unnecessary burdens of rules and regulations on the people. I couldn't help but wonder to myself what about the rules in SMC regarding no televisions, no make-up, no alcohol and the list goes on ad infinitum. He also made reference to the dangers of "running with the crowd". Again I wondered...are there any dangers in running with the Struthers crowd as they all seem to behave like mindless sheep when they are together?

Date: September 02, 2013 04:27PM

I would like to add to my previous post where I made reference to the insane rules and regulations that SMC place upon its members.
I remember when Grace Gault was preaching a few years ago and she was speaking about ladies who like to stay looking young. She went on to make a snide comment about ladies who dye their hair.
You can therefore imagine my utter surprise when I returned to SMC recently and noticed that a very highly esteemed and "anointed" member had dyed her hair! Right enough, this girl was looking old beyond her years.
Can we now presume that there will be no more comments from the pulpit about ladies who dye their hair?

Now I will turn to the crazy obsession with banning that most evil of objects...the television. A couple from SMC who are very highly thought of decided that they would obey the leadership and get rid of their T.V. But they were then faced with a tricky problem...how would they watch their favourite T.V. programmes? So do you know what they did? They watched them on the BBC IPlayer. This got them into huge trouble with their broadband provider as they were watching so many programmes that their usage went through the roof. But at least they had got rid of the evil television. Am I alone in seeing the complete absurdity of all this?

Posted by: cbarb-again ()
Date: September 03, 2013 12:56AM

Hi folks!!!

YeeeHah! It's me and I'm back with avengence!! Did you miss me??

Seems like all the trouble with lost posts also lost a lot of people's logins. I had a lot of trouble re-creating my profile, which explains the name-change (I hope).

It will be interesting to see whether or not the loss of data will be mentioned, in sermons, as an act of God. That should be fun watching the egg run down the anointed ones' chins :-)

I've been itching to post....

First, fabulous work Clive, what a hero and the summarisation is excellent (gets rid of all the more winded comments, as you said :-) As the song goes, "the long and winding road" leads to the door - eventually!! :-)

Happy Survivor, you had me rolling on the floor in stiches. I love the 'sparks incident'!! I quite often see sparks too but usually it's when I'm lighting up! (It may please some to know that my folks have finally got me on the electronic fags - cough, cough - not completely weaned but getting there a bit at a time!)

It's quite amusing too, when you highlight the absurdity of the evil TV being replaced by BBCi player - which is obviously not so evil. ROTFLMFAO (as the youngsters say)! I also have to question the no alcohol policy - didn't Jesus turn the water into WINE??? Perhaps the powers that be in SMC ('scuse the unintended poetry) think that their congregation are too immature to decide for themselves how much alcohol is too much - so, to be on the safe side abstinence is the order from the pulpit. I wonder how the anointed ones would fare if Jesus stopped by for a wee dram and all they could offer him was a cup of tea. Are they saying that Jesus was sinful for turning water into wine? Or is it just that they think the members haven't got the intelligence to drink alcohol sensibly.

Incidentally, I pointed my folks to the Latigo site (haven't given them this one yet - I'm easing them into it gradually!) They were completely shocked by the accounts and the fact that the school and other ventures are consistently losing money - they, like everyone else - believed that these ventures were paying for themselves and actually turning a profit (sorry.... I mean generating charitable funds to replace those funds lost by HB in the shares fiasco). Now they know the truth as do so many others, thanks to Latigo and the huge amount of work put into that site.

Anyway folks, I'm glad to be back and looking forward to hearing about how recent events are being perceived from the SMC platform.

As always biiiiiiiig love and huge hugggggggs to all.
God bless xxx

Posted by: Cornelius Dredd ()
Date: September 03, 2013 01:40AM

Happy Survivor, welcome! Too funny!!
Good to see. Good points, beautifully illustrated and without a hint of sarcasm. Class..
Keep posting please! :)
Seriously though, great to have you. We are an assorted bunch of good souls, but there are folks missing still. (One less now...)
Regards and happy days to you, and all. Cornelius Dredd (Once Ifellaway)

Date: September 03, 2013 11:40AM

I would like to quote from a discussion paper entitled " Legalism Versus Grace". The author is a retired secondary school teacher who has no formal theological training. He assumes that his readers accept the final authority of Scripture in spiritual matters. He is Jim Peacock MA (Hons), Diploma of Teaching.

I quote:

" "The truth is cruel, but it can be loved, and it makes free those who have loved it." George Santayana (1863-1952).

As E.M. Blaiklock comments:
"It is always and everywhere true that any system of religion, or any interpretation of Scripture, which makes religion difficult to follow, irrelevant to common life, hard to understand, and impossible for ordinary men and women, is wrong. the 'common people heard Him [Jesus] gladly' because He brought God near, made Heaven real, and faith relevant to life. Those who, then and now, deny men this gladness, merit the words of His rebuke."

Dear reader, consider honestly these questions:
Are you trusting in the grace of God alone for salvation or are you relying on your own good works? Are you mixing law and grace? i.e. How much of your faith is in religious activities that please others, especially church leaders? Are you "straightforward about the truth of the gospel?" (Galations 2:14 NKJV)

The fruits of legalism are spiritual pride, spiritual blindness, failure, fear, depression, the illusion of self-importance and insecurity. In contrast, the fruits of grace are a delight in God's love, joy through freedom from self-absorption, a responsible exercise of freedom, an assurance of salvation, and a genuine love for people. Christian freedom is freedom from self and Satan that we may please god and not ourselves."

I am conscious that some of the content of my earlier posts may have sounded cruel. That was not my intention. Yes, I am angry, very angry... but it is a righteous anger.

The wrong that is being done by the leadership of SMC is being done in the precious Name of Christ and that makes me angry. I am not out to get revenge on anyone nor to pull down a church just for the sake of pulling down a church. But IF God has decided that enough is enough, then and only then I am willing to put myself and my reputation on the line and to stand up for the Truth.

I may post further on this forum but I must tell the other contributors that I am only interested at the end of the day in pleasing my God and His Christ and in the extension of His Kingdom on this earth.

I rest my case.

Posted by: Cornelius Dredd ()
Date: September 03, 2013 07:45PM

Yes gradually...we return! Hey Cbarb.again! (..."itching to post". haha, indeed, you gave that impression! sooo funny, as always. ) And with (yet) more new contributors. Forum alive and kicking... :)
Anyway, just clocking my 5 posts.
Regards to all and take care. Cornelius

Posted by: cbarb-again ()
Date: September 04, 2013 02:39AM

Hi folks

Just a quickie the noo. I was a bit peeved at my comments having to be moderated again so I asked the wonderful, amazing and beautiful rrmoderator to remove the need for moderation of my comments and no sooner had I asked this than the moderation was lifted.

Huge, heartfelt thank you to you, our fabulous rrmoderator - you're my hero (next to Clive of course!)

Anyway, just wanted to share that one in case others are having to go through the moderation stage again.

Happy Survivor, we all know where you're coming from and, in the past, several posters were asking just those questions:

"Where is the grace of God in SMC?"
"Where is the joy of God in SMC?"
"Where is the love of God in SMC?"

We, who were brought up in, or previously attended, the church have spent many decades looking in every nook and cranny - even under those awful horse-hair mats on the pews - but did not yet ever find the grace, joy or love of God anywhere among the leaders and indeed among a great many of the members. Instead all we found was self-absorption and self-aggrandizing and self-glorification in all areas - even to the point of twisting scriptures to suit the speakers' intended 'line-of-the-day'.

It's so amazing to find that the trinity of the grace, joy and love of God are found in other places in abundance!! But such a shame that there are still those whose eyes are so blinkered they can't see beyond the charlatans standing on the platforms - it's time they wised-up before it's too late!

Take care all - I'm just off to do my 'Happy Days' dance now that I'm vocal again :-)

As always biiiiiiig love and huge hugggggggs to all
God Bless xxxx

Posted by: ThePetitor ()
Date: September 04, 2013 05:33AM

Happy Survivor
A couple from SMC who are very highly thought of decided that they would obey the leadership and get rid of their T.V. But they were then faced with a tricky problem...how would they watch their favourite T.V. programmes? So do you know what they did? They watched them on the BBC IPlayer. This got them into huge trouble with their broadband provider as they were watching so many programmes that their usage went through the roof. But at least they had got rid of the evil television. Am I alone in seeing the complete absurdity of all this?

Happy Survivor, you are not the only one who sees the absurdity. In fact, the opposite may be true - it may be only 300 people in the entire world cannot see the absurdity - and they are all in SMC!

Happy Survivor
I would like to quote from a discussion paper entitled " Legalism Versus Grace"... As E.M. Blaiklock comments:

"...The fruits of legalism are spiritual pride, spiritual blindness, failure, fear, depression, the illusion of self-importance and insecurity. "
Wow - did Blaiklock ever visit Struthers??

o Spiritual Pride - read the Humiliation Sermon on Latigo
o Spiritual Blindness - witness the 40 or so testimonies to pain and suffering that they are too blind to see
o Failure - read the Latigo article on how many members there are - decline and stagnation
o Fear - I have lost count how many time that word has been mentioned in these pages - it is their whole leadership style
o Depression - by some accounts, half of some congregations are clinically depressed
o The illusion of self-importance - just listen to any of the sermons about how special they are - says who?
o Insecurity - why is no-one from Struthers willing to contribute to this forum as an equal? if that isn't insecurity, what is it?

I am sure other examples could be quoted, but I think that whole quote is just so pertinent. Why can they not see how so much wisdom and insight from truly spiritual people applies to them?

and finally, cbarb-again - welcome back! Course we have missed you. It just wouldn't be the same without you! I am so glad that you have spoken to your parents and they have now looked at the Latigo site. There is a great deal there that is so factual and objective, and raises all sorts of questions about the overall management of the organisation. - and that in itself is so damning.

The SMC leaders are saying they have this special relationship with God who has given them instruction about every single aspect of their lives - yet they are not managing their organisation and their funds openly and honestly. By claiming they are led so closely by God - that they "only move on the explicit instruction of the Lord God of Hosts" (see the punishment threat on Latigo) they are actually brining the name of Christ into disrepute - they are saying that it is God who treats people unjustly, who fails to meet reasonable standards, that moves funds from the restricted category or tells lies in the accounts (“the vast majority of incoming funds to the charity remain by way of personal giving at services run by the charity...” - no, it doesn't actually - there is more income from school fees. That may be an understandable human error, but they claim this is not a human error, it was something explicitly instructed by God!)

It would be laughable if they had not damaged so many lives with their arrogance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.