Re: Struthers Memorial Independent Pentecostal Church
Posted by: Clive ()
Date: July 31, 2013 08:03PM

While listening to an answer to a question on a podcast called "The Bible Geek" just now, something occurred to me.

A lot of the problems that stem from the SMC seem to have at their root the strong emphasis one certain leaders as being the chosen, anointed ones.

The current leadership - in particular - Diana Rutherford, where chosen - hand picked one could say - by Miss Taylor, was she not ?

And D.R. clearly - according to SMC lore - has the "Anointing".

So Diana Rutherford is a chosen, anointed one.

Maybe the root of all SMC evils lies in it having many Christs.

D.R. is Christos. A Christ. A False Christ.

Time to break out the Holy Oil and Crucifixes. The end times are here !.

just a wee light-hearted thought fer ya all, take care !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 08:06PM by Clive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rensil ()
Date: August 02, 2013 05:30AM

Yes, Clive, you have a point there. I appreciate your humour too. Yes, all of the current leaders, in the eyes of SMC, fall into that same category of being held up as "chosen (by other leaders) and anointed" and therefore eligible to lead and preach to the humble others beneath them. Most were chosen by Miss Taylor, not just D. Rutherford. It is quite scary, really, that, because they are "chosen and anointed", whatever they say is deemed as being from God and is to be obeyed and put into practice.

Lintar123, you are indeed a survivor. You haven't let what happened to you ruin your life or your marriage. The interfering in marriage partnerships that goes on in SMC is appalling. They don't honour marriage, in my opinion, and this goes against the Bible's teaching on the subject. Never have I seen in any other church, pastors coming between and driving wedges between husband and wife, that I witnessed when in SMC. No, I normally see in churches, the honouring of marriage and the encouragement of loving partnerships which in turn enrich the whole church and further go on to enrich a community. In SMC, it seemed that comparisons were drawn between husband and wife as to who was the more spiritual and "making the grade". Generally it was decided that the woman was more spiritual and the husband less so or not at all. So the wife would be given lots of attention by the leaders and the man ignored or made to feel inadequate. You can imagine the effect this has on a marriage relationship. In some cases, it was the wife who got de-selected and the man chosen. So it's still going on, Lintar123, but I would hope they wouldn't now take control of an actual wedding, as they did with yours. I think you should get an apology.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: August 02, 2013 07:57PM

See [www.cultnews.com]

The Rick A. Ross Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups, and Movements has officially changed its name to The Cult Education Institute for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements.

The new domain name entry point and gateway to the Internet archives of the institute will soon be culteducation.com.

The Cult Education Institute archives is a library of information about destructive cults, controversial groups and movements, which was initially launched in 1996 and has continued to be under construction and expansion for the past 17 years.

The public message board attached to the The Cult Education Institute will soon only be accessible through the domain name culteducation.com. More than 100,000 entries from the former members of destructive cults, controversial groups and movements and others concerned has accumulated at the board over the past decade. The message board content continues to grow daily and it serves as a free speech zone for those who wish to share their insights and concerns about the topics listed.

Date: August 05, 2013 04:07AM

Clive
D.R. is Christos. A Christ. A False Christ.

On the other hand the Greek word for "Christian," is Christianos. Historians tell us that originallyChristianos was probably a term of mocking or derision meaning

:– "little Christs."

And as even CS Lewis has written - every christian is supposed to be a "Little christ"

;)

Posted by: cbarb ()
Date: August 05, 2013 10:18AM

Hi guys

Just to let you know, I finally plucked up the courage to talk to my folks about some of this. It seems that Joan Jewell had a hand in the antics that drove them out of SMC (although I haven't yet asked about details) but my suspicions are that she (JJ) was full of jealousy and desperately wanted the PG platform and all the 'glory and honour' that she thinks goes with that. However, they both agree wholeheartedly that DR is a dangerous woman and got where she is by devious and manipulative means. They were in total agreement about the lack of love, grace, humility and pastoral care being given in the church and said that, spiritually, they made the best move by getting out and getting involved in a church who put God first and not the pastor. I didn't give them any argument on that one! :-)

As always biiiiiiig love and huge huggggggs to all
God Bless xxx

Posted by: Ifellaway ()
Date: August 05, 2013 05:22PM

Clive, I had nearly forgotten Narnia...which is strange because CSLewis (and, of course Mr Black!) was the, like, the only approved reading. And in smc you don't actually have to even read the bible...just listen to your leader, who speaks for God anyway...pfft!
I wonder if history will show smc becoming synonymous with ridiculous organisations that are spiritually devoid and run like an insect colony...all the drones and workers are expendable but the queens have to survive. That would be a shame and an insult to the original Mr Struthers, whose name has already become a joke because of smc practices. Perhaps I give these little christs, sorry I mean little dictators, sorry I mean sadly deluded individuals; perhaps I give them too much credit.
Does increased mocking and notoriety count as a revival, does anyone know?
:)
Cbarb, well done sweets! Such a tricky thing to do but it sounds like you got somewhere, without any negative effects. It is small wonder they don't want to dwell too much on a pastor who coveted the patorship and probably, nay...more than likely, used devious tactics to get on the platform.
I am interested that they even noted Diane Rutherford is dangerous. It seems like everyone except her employers know this. And she works with children... hmm.
And I wonder if smc will ever ditch her because of her exposed actions. If not, they are either being hoodwinked still (highly unlikely..) or they agree with her methods and that means people who run a school fully endorse DR-type behaviour. School Inspectors must be easy to fool,
I think we should set up a school and hand out jobs amongst ourselves. It IS that simple.

Regards all, Ifellaway

Date: August 18, 2013 12:54AM

cbarb
Hi guys

Just to let you know, I finally plucked up the courage to talk to my folks about some of this. It seems that Joan Jewell had a hand in the antics that drove them out of SMC

Encountering Joan Jewell was the first time I was exposed to SMC and from that very first encounter I sensed that this was not right. Only to be reinforced in my mind months later, when unquestioning "hanging on every word" of this woman and of course - primarily - Mrs Taylor - was exacerbated by sycophantic following of Mrs Tayors "disciple in waiting" Diane Rutherford - "the anointed one".

On a related topic - has anything similar to the kind of thing reported in this Independent news article ever occurred within SMC ?

( Pentecostal pastors telling HIV positive patients to 'rely on God' instead of taking medication - EVEN to the point of stopping all medication .)

[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 01:02AM by Clive.

Date: August 18, 2013 04:01AM

Hi Clive

I don't know about aids patients but I have certainly heard of people being advised to look to God instead of medication for various illnesses. I'm led to believe that Mary Black died prematurely precisely because she waited for God to heal her instead of seeking professional medical help when it could have been of benefit to her.

So I guess they probably would be advising aids suffers in the same way.

As always biiiiiig love and huge hugggggggs to all
God Bless xxx

Posted by: Ifellaway ()
Date: August 19, 2013 12:39AM

Good point Clive and Cbarb.
But it's back to the issue of subtlety. Maybe some openly deny medicine in favour of prayer, but these are the more pronounced cases. How many members hide the fact that they are ill in case it is discerned as their fault? Or hide that they are receiving treatment for things?
What of mental illness which can't be evidenced by x-rays and such? Would any member openly say that they had depression for instance? Let's be clear...anything mental is surely "demonic" in nature, if you subscribe to smc learning..
I can't say I've ever witnessed denial of medicine because it implies lack of faith. But this kind of advice would surely not be public...unless wrapped up in a targeted sermon.
But my time/experience was relatively miniscule compared to others. I just hope common sense would override any advice like your link showed, Clive. Incidentally I have never come across this kind of thing among any ministers Pentecostal or other, though I do not deny that it happens.
Smc are surely more wily than to publicly say, "Don't take your meds, just trust God." But I bet a keen message blows in that general direction.
Willing to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable though...

Regards all, and happy days, Ifellaway

Date: August 19, 2013 03:35AM

Hi Folks

Yes, Ifellaway, good point - it's not easy to say who has been advised to look to God instead of medicine and how they were advised in this way. I do believe you are right about targeted sermons though.

In particular mental illness of any nature was always viewed as satanic in origin and therefore, very few would admit to having depression or other mental problems but a surprising number of attendees did (and probably still do) suffer from severe depression and other related illnesses, due to the joy-crushing and graceless teachings of those in power.

My Mum was telling me that she stopped attending Tuesday night prayer meetings because the teaching coming from the platform killed her spiritual joy which she felt on the way to the meetings - but this was totally crushed by those on the platform (Miss T and Mr. B) when she got there. She told Mr. B why she was no longer attending these meetings and actually had a go at him for allowing the teaching to be so morbid as to crush any joy or grace those in attendance had felt when coming to praise God.

This is a church where people go in full of the joys of life and the love of God but come out beating themselves up over their perceived failings and feeling totally worthless and useless to God.

Strange - I thought that being a Christian worked the opposite way - ergo, you go into the church feeling worthless and useless and come out full of the joys of life and love of God??? Not so in Struthers!! These leaders have far more to answer for than just mis-guided teaching - God will call them to answer for all the lives they have wrecked and the souls they have crushed and I wouldn't like to be in their shoes when He does!

As always, huge love and hugggggs to all
God Bless xxx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.