Church of God in NJ (Bergen Co.)
Posted by: ibewpat ()
Date: July 26, 2005 03:36AM

I am extremely concerned, no, more like frightened, if the church my 2 oldest have become involved in is a cult. My children were brought up Catholic, but now say the RCC lies to its parishoners, that the pope wears the mark of the beast under the papal cap, that I worship false gods (ie: saints & the crucifix). They have told me that since I don't worship on the true sabbath, that I will not make it through judgement day. They go to church from 7 am to 10 pm every Saturday. I asked my daughter (21 yo)if she could go only to a morning service so my sister, who lived 130 miles away could come see her and her 8 month old baby, but my daughter went into a tirade about breaking God's commandment about the Sabbath and keeping it holy. My daughter was a very smart, analytical, street smart person (being that she grew up in Queens), I could go on and on. My son (20 yo) is in on this as well, was into drugs and alcohol, which has stopped (the only good thing I have seen so far), he hates the catholic religion now, he brought a friend to the church, this kid went 2x and became "freaked out" as he put it. He felt pressured to be baptised the second time he went. He decided it wasn't for him and decided not to go, my son and the "pastor" showed up at this kid's job on the third Saturday and tried to convince this kids to go to church with them. Are my kids in way too deep? What do I make of it?

Has anyone heard of this church? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ohmygosh ()
Date: July 31, 2005 10:17PM

will not address the issue in terms of this church or that church,
or a specific pastor, or congregation,

I have never been to Bergen County, but, I have been to many churches, of several denoms, I have spoken to hundreds of people that have attended a church and are now, "freaked out" and looking for answers and explainations.

I understand your concern for your children, here is my input, but use your own good judgement....

First, look at the structure of the church,
if Pastor sets himself up as "gods annointed one"
and wants to do some sort of "spirit infilling" thing to your kids

you may have cause for concern

if it is preached that hell is the penalty for failure to comply with "the infilling" or "getting the holy ghost"...you may have cause for concern

If the pastor lacks formal education, and wants to play god,
dispensing the holy ghost as he deems appropriate... another cause for concern

If pastor has a boat at his lake house....
If failure to tithe is punishable
If the kids start to hear voices

all of these things are cause for concern

currently, church is the only 100% tax exempt endeavor in the United States. Many of the churches are set up as individual family businesses.

There is a "hands off" "anything goes" policy of the government.

Convicted child molesters can get a ministers license, set up a church,
and there is no crime in that.

We have freedom of religion here, and it applies to all churches,
and is not isolated to certain sects or denominations.

I empathize with you,
but, I have no answers or solutions to offer you

I suspect that your children can not even hear you right now
they are in the initial indoctrination period

To the best of my knowledge, there is no recourse,

France made laws, making it illegal to "put the holy ghost" on minor children, additionally, telling minor children that they would go to hell for failure to submit to "the holy ghost" was also punishable by law.
It is called "French Anti Cult Law"

but, it's not going to well for them,

In America, those laws are considered "religious persecution" which is strictly forbidden, so if some evangelist knocks some spirit zap into your childrens heads, and they start to hear voices,
you and your children have no recourse.

Posted by: worriedmom ()
Date: July 01, 2007 10:34AM

I don't know if you're still around, ur post was an old one.
But I'm also looking for info about a church group in NJ ..bergen cty too.
That my son has joined and is completely involved in

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.