Elder Led Churches
Posted by: samp ()
Date: June 04, 2005 05:41AM

I was checking out a church and I read on their website that they are an "elder led" church. It says "this is somewhat different than how most churches in the United States are governed, but we believe there is a clear biblical background for this style. Most churches are congregational in style - they function similar to how our democracy is run. Most policies and proceedures are determined by majority rule. An elder church is somewhat different in that the elders make decisions on the direction of the church after receiving input from the congregation."

Since the church clearly does not operate on the principal of democracy, is this a breeding ground for cult-like control?

Options: ReplyQuote
Elder Led Churches
Posted by: Timmer ()
Date: June 04, 2005 01:57PM

It could be, but not necessarily. I'd keep an eye on it if I were you, but for now, I don't think anything more is warranted.

Elder Led Churches
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 04, 2005 06:47PM

Here are some helpful guidelines that may be useful in determining if there is a problem within the church.

See [www.culteducation.com]

And also [www.ecfa.org]

Elder Led Churches
Posted by: samp ()
Date: June 05, 2005 05:28AM

Well, number 3 of the signs of a safe group/leader is "democratic, sharing decision making and encouraging accountability and oversight."

It isn't conlusive proof that this church has cult-like quailities, but it's something I'll keep in mind. I'll just start typing "elder led church" in the search engines and see if anyone has written anything critical of this type of church government.

Elder Led Churches
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: June 05, 2005 06:39AM

Note the second link previously posted to the Evangelical Council on Financial Accountability. It offers very objective guidelines.

See [www.ecfa.org]

Why not review them?

Re: Elder Led Churches
Posted by: Merry Browen ()
Date: July 10, 2012 10:49AM

I don't think anything more is warranted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.