Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Deaths at ‘quack’ retreat hit Oprah
Posted by: Kaleidoscope ()
Date: October 20, 2009 10:43AM

Deaths at 'quack' retreat hit Oprah
The Sunday Times
by Tony Allen-Mills, October 18, 2009

A BIZARRE tragedy at a spiritual retreat in the Arizona desert has caused new embarrassment for Oprah Winfrey, the American television titan whose enthusiasm for alternative health and lifestyle choices has drawn mounting criticism this year.

The deaths of two participants at a Native American-style “cleansing” ceremony in a sauna-like “sweat lodge” earlier this month are being treated by police as possible homicides. The victims were attending a “spiritual warrior” retreat organised by James Arthur Ray, a motivational speaker and author who has appeared at least twice on Winfrey’s hugely popular chat show.

Winfrey had no connection with the retreat — from which 19 other participants were taken to hospital — but the billionaire entertainer has been fighting off persistent allegations this year that her media empire provides a platform to questionable self-help gurus who promote ideas that many experts consider dangerous.

The tragedy at Angel Valley, a new age retreat near the resort town of Sedona, has ignited a debate about claims made by self-proclaimed mystics, healers, vision quest guides, sacred therapists, spiritual mediums and guardians of all manner of metaphysical secrets that supposedly possess the power to unleash the inner you.

It has also outraged many Native Americans, who complained last week that tribal traditions were being hijacked by quacks, charlatans and what one tribal leader described as “imitation Indians”.

Participants in the programme paid almost $10,000 (£6,100) each to join what Ray had promised would be a “heroic quest for higher consciousness”. According to police reports, up to 60 people attended the five-day retreat, the culmination of which was a 36-hour fast followed by the sweat lodge ceremony.

Exactly what went wrong is unclear. The “lodge” was in reality a makeshift wood and plastic tarpaulin tent. Less than 5ft tall, the structure may have become intolerably hot once all the participants were crouching inside.

Police are also investigating reports that they may have been stretched beyond reasonable endurance. In a series of posts to his Twitter account before and during the retreat, Ray referred to “conquering death” and declared: “The Toltecs practise an ‘awareness of impending death’. Makes every moment precious when you know it could be your last.”

Sedona police said the deaths of Kirby Brown, a 38-year-old painter from New York, and James Shore, 40, an internet marketing executive from Milwaukee, were being treated as possible homicides, “although whether or not we can prove a criminal case has yet to be determined”.

Ray declined to be interviewed by police immediately after the tragedy. His spokesman said last week: “We have one goal and that is to find out what happened so it never happens again.”

Ray first came to public attention espousing a theory he called “harmonic wealth” — a feelgood philosophy that emphasises the power of positive thinking in achieving success. His website boasts of his appearances with Winfrey, who first invited him to discuss The Secret, a bestselling 2007 self-help book by Rhonda Byrne that critics warned might discourage readers from seeking professional assistance for their problems.

Professor John Norcross, a psychologist, said The Secret’s assertions “go beyond the ordinary over-promises of most self-help books into a danger realm”. That did not stop Winfrey praising it on a second programme and inviting Ray back for more chat about “accelerating the release of your limitations”.

Nor was Winfrey contrite when Newsweek magazine published a cover story this year accusing several of her guests of peddling bad medical advice. “Some of the many experts who cross her stage offer interesting and useful information,” said Newsweek. “Others gush nonsense. Oprah, who holds her guests up as prophets, can’t seem to tell the difference.”

Among Winfrey favourites who have been heavily criticised are Suzanne Somers, a 62-year-old actress whose quest for eternal youth involves daily injections of oestrogen into her vagina. “Many people write Suzanne off as a quackadoo,” said Winfrey, “but she might just be a pioneer.”

Doctors were also infuriated when Jenny McCarthy, a former Playboy model and the girlfriend of actor Jim Carrey appeared to warn against the MMR vaccination for measles, mumps and rubella. Convinced that her son’s autism was caused by MMR, McCarthy referred to “the autism shot” and dismissed a statement from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that scientists have found no connection. “My science is named Evan [her son],” she said.

Winfrey was further embarrassed when a series of memoirs she had promoted turned out to have been bogus. James Frey admitted to fabricating portions of A Million Little Pieces, his account of recovery from supposed drug addiction; Angel at the Fence, an account of Holocaust survival — described by Winfrey as “the greatest single love story we’ve ever told on the air” — also proved to be fiction.

Winfrey had no comment on the spiritual warrior case last week. In response to Newsweek’s criticisms last summer she had said: “I trust the viewers and I know they are smart and discerning enough to seek out medical opinions to determine what may be best for them.”

(Yes, I know The Anticult is on top of this. This is cross-posting for Oprah's "celebrity" angle)
James Arthur Ray - Rick Ross Forum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deaths at ‘quack’ retreat hit Oprah
Posted by: Kaleidoscope ()
Date: October 22, 2009 10:56PM

Gawker gets it over Scientology, and they get it over this issue:

Oprah Guru's Deadly Sweat Lodge Involved Induced Vomiting, 'Vomit Everywhere'

Oprah Guru's Deadly Sweat Lodge Involved Induced Vomiting, 'Vomit Everywhere'

So, that horrifying sweat lodge where Oprah-endorsed guru James Arthur Ray may or may not have inadvertently killed three people? NYT has some new eye witness reports, and they're as scary, icky, and infuriatingly New-Agey as you thought.

Texas orthodontist Beverley Bunn told The New York Times that the sweat ceremony was the rebirth phase of a "vision quest." Much like an actual birth, disgusting things spewed from everyone's orifices and a lot of pain was involved: "There were people throwing up everywhere" based on the kinda-bulimic advice that vomiting "was good for you, that you are purging what your body doesn't want, what it doesn't need." Apparently the body doesn't need consciousness, either, because at least three vision quest-ers passed out during the session, Bunn and others claim. When horrified participants yelled for help, Ray said he would "deal" with it later.

The experience cost $9,695. And, as if paying money to be trapped in a coal-heated, plastic-wrapped, life-threatening wigwam in the middle of the desert with 50 fellow "spiritual warriors," then watching them die before your very eyes, weren't bad enough, James Arthur Ray is apparently not letting up on his New Age bullshit: He brought a "channeler" into a conference call with the likely PTSD-ridden sweat lodge participants. She explained that the spiritual warriors' deceased peers were not, in fact, the victims of homicide—rather, they had powerful out-of-body experiences and it was "so much fun" that they decided not to come back. Seriously, could you even invent a more tasteless line of reasoning for the future Law & Order episode this is clearly about to become?

Local police are investigating the deaths as homicides, but despite the surviving warriors' most obvious wishes, James Arthur Ray has not been charged.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Ray is still featured on Oprah's website:

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: August 05, 2010 12:50AM

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: August 05, 2010 03:19PM

What a refreshingly sane take on the machinations of James Ray and Byron Katie (and by extension the whole new age milieu) that blog-writer has!

Date: August 05, 2010 03:48PM

I didn't think that anything would ever induce me to read 'A Course in Miracles', (particularly after learning that the author was assistant to one of the leading psychiatrists working for the MK-Ultra project and may have been hypnotised by him prior to 'channeling' her opus,) but my copy of the original text is ordered.

Date: August 14, 2010 12:19AM

THIS IS IN NO WAY CORBOYS ENDORSEMENT OF COURSE IN MIRACLES

--note-this is written by a member of the RR.com discussion board and is strictly my personal opinion as a private citizen who tries to be well informed.

Oprah, Lupus and Carol Myss

[tiptoethruthemindfield.blogspot.com]

and

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

The post I wrote was to emphasize the troubles with certain persons who are invited by Oprah to blab on her show.

I am careful with my sources and give credit to the sources. But what I intended to highlight was the issue with Oprah, Myss and the community of concerned persons who suffer from lupus erythematosus who disagreed with Myss.

And if channelling entails entering a hypnotic trance whilst writing down material that later is published (Blatvatsky, Cayce, as well as ACIM) there may be a possiblity that persons susceptible to trance induction who read this material may go into trance and become as a result, less aware of illogic and less able to tell the difference between what is concrete and what is metaphorical and thus become, without realizing it, susceptible to indoctriantion later on.

Channelled books are the kind of material that is part of what sociologist Colin Campbell termed 'the cultic milieu'. Once in this milieu one may without conscious recognition, become less capable of adult nuanced and critical thought, and more susceptible to indoctrination into groups and belief systems one might consider silly or dangeous prior to induction into the milieu via reading channelled material.

One cannot tell people never to read channelled books. It is our right as citizens to read what we like.

But certain kinds of reading material can affect us in ways that over-ride adult critical thinking, and as citizens it is good to be aware of this before picking up and reading channelled books. Critical thinking is something that is hard to acquire, that was made possible by thousands of years of civilization and can, tragically, be easily lost and once lost is very difficult to rebuild.

I personally do not in any way endorse A Course in Miracles and advise that though the author of the piece used ACIM to provide an innovative way to critique commercial gurus by quoting from ACIM, it is my opinion that ACIM as an allegedly 'channelled' book is part of what could be termed the cultic milieu.

In that particular social setting there is a risk of re-triggering indoctrination from groups one thinks one has fought free from.

More reflections on Colin Campbell's concept of cultic milieu

Campbell's main contention that the cultic milieu is oppositional by nature. It comprises "a zone in which proscribed and/or forbidden knowledge is the coin of the realm, a place in which ideas, theories and speculations are to be found, exchanged, modified and eventually, adopted or rejected by adherents of countless, primarily ephemeral groups whose leaders come and go and whose membership constitute a permanent class of seekers whose adherence to any particular or organization tends to be fleeting at best." (p. 3)

The authors aver that in this oppositional milieu ideas are often interchangeable, "fungible," that there is a cross pollination of ideas in this milieu.

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

One might be able to substitute 'contrarian' for 'oppositional'.

Fungible is a term that means 'equivalently interchangeable'.

Here, from a different book, an autobiography by Mary Garden, who was trying with great difficulty to free herself from emotional bondage to a cruelly abusive Hindu guru. Garden met a woman 'Deborah' and 'Joe' at a Buddhist insight meditation retreat. THe two, Deborah and Joe, seemed committed Buddhists. They offered to accompany Mary Garden back to the ashram so she could get hold of her passport and leave the guru for good.

Suddenly at the ashram, just as Mary Garden was leaving, she discovered that Deborah the Buddhist, who had been warning her about the guru was under his spell.

Mary Garden was shocked by this sudden change and said,

'How can you reconcile that trip up there with all the Buddhist teachings we have just listened to?'

'There's no conflict' Deborah replied self assuredly. 'Its just different viewpoints. In fact I think they are saying the same thing, the Hindus and the Buddhists. It's all to do with not identifying with the mind and the body' (Mary Garden, Serpant Rising, Page 166)

This bit, quoted from 'Deborah' is an example of treating ideas as equivalently interchangeable, when, in this case, they are not.

Buddhism's core distinction is that there is nothing inherantly separate from anything else, no start point, no first principle, no essence, no god, no Atman no self to merge with Atman.

The start point of the Advaita Vedanta that this particular guru professed is different from Buddhadharma--in Advaita Vedanta there is an inherantly separately existing Atman.

Adi Shankara (8th Century CE)dedicated much of his short life to defining Hinduism in relation to Buddhadharma, and formalized a means of Hindu monasticism in relation to Buddhist monasticism which already existed some centuries earlier. Some accused Shankara of being a crypto Buddhist because he had borrowed some concepts from Buddhist philosophy to do this.

[www.google.com]

If you take ideas and differences seriously, they cannot be seen or treated as interchangeable and you're not a member of the cultic milieu, precisely for that reason.

Posted by: shakti ()
Date: August 17, 2010 12:47AM

"(particularly after learning that the author was assistant to one of the leading psychiatrists working for the MK-Ultra project and may have been hypnotised by him prior to 'channeling' her opus,)"

-Fascinating. Any other info on connections to MK-ULTRA? ACIM is bizarre, sneaky, and more widespread than most people realize.

Date: August 17, 2010 01:00AM

I found that snippet somewhere on this site a few years ago:

[www.wanttoknow.info]

The site has since been revamped and is so large that I wouldn't know where to begin looking.

It is briefly mentioned on the wiki for William Thetford:

[en.wikipedia.org]

who is documented as working on MK-ULTRA for quite a considerable time after that mentioned on the wiki (as well as working on Bluebird, the forerunner), the docs are somewhere on the first site link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 01:01AM by Stoic.

Date: August 17, 2010 03:46AM

This may be off-topic, but I want to expand on why I find the ACIM suddenly interesting.
From my own experience of altered states, I am aware that they generally have an internal logic and symbolic language of their own.
Decoding that logic and language in order to make a rational narrative is what psychiatrists of the old school (prior to the generalised take-up of pharmaceutical therapy) spent their time on.

It is entirely possible that Thetford fed various suggestions to Helen Shucman out of which she then spun a reasonably coherent narrative--ACIM--with its own internal logic and symbolic language.
From memory of what I read previously on that Bluebird site, he used her, his assistant, under hypnosis, to test his attempts at implanting new narratives in his subjects. I gather that subjects were not easy to come by and poor Helen was at hand and a subordinate to boot.
He would have little control over the finished narrative as the suggestions would be processed through the memories and influences of Shucman--even she might have little conscious awareness of what those specific influences might be before the narrative was conscious and completed.

(By all accounts, Shucman distanced herself from the finished work and did not want it published. She was probably not too keen on looking closely at the logic and language of her own opus and what it might reveal. The privacy of one's own mind is the last secure freedom)

Great fiction writers harness this same semi-conscious spinning process, the dream-like quality that a good writer uses to pull the reader into the story is a similar process, if different in intent and degree.

It might be as well to remember that it is said of all stories that each reader, though reading the same words, is in fact reading a different story, for the bare bones narrative that the writer sets down is processed differently through each different reader's memories and influences.
Basically, the story that the writer wrote and the story that I read will differ in the meaning and impact that the story has for each of us--two different stories from one bare bones narrative.

What won't change however are the embedded triggers, the suggestions that Thetford tried to plant which would probably be Judeo Christian cultural archetypes very familiar, even if subconsciously so, to anyone immersed in that culture--which is by far the majority of those who would read the text.

Helen Shucman did not fare well as a result of being experimented on by Thetford and I don't see the ACIM as a text that would necessarily bring any benefit to humanity, unlike the great classic literature, but I am interested to see how Thetford structured the triggers.
What prompted my interest was the realisation that the blogwriter mentioned above who referenced the ACIM text, used the influence of the text to come to rational conclusions rather than the usual new-age, LOA fantasising that I had previously assumed would be the only outcome for every reader.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 04:01AM by Stoic.

Date: August 18, 2010 01:00AM

We have to just be careful because Ive seen some who appeared to rationally critique the new age scene and later turned out to be carving out careers of their own within that same scene.

Its still the ACIM and some of that book (which is available now by open copyright) reads to me like trance induction.

Once a particular guru fades from the scene or falls into public disfavor, others come along and step into that guru's place and can use the ACIM and find themselves co-opted to become the next guru.

Its still the ACIM. And anything written in trance may have a trancy effect on those vulnerable to induction.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.