Re: Oprah's Ministry
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: May 19, 2008 07:16AM

Add Christiane Northrup, MD to the Hay House/Oprah empire. See Oprah's Celeb Doctor thread. THis is like a monopoly of New Wage publishing - the same material gets recycled and re-packaged and a few at the top make a lot of money.

Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: May 21, 2008 09:55PM

Does anyone know people who practice this stuff? I do.
I know one woman who gave up custody of her children(hard to be a mom when the little brats interfere with your mind melding moments).
This woman loves Oprah. The kids don't.

Posted by: The Shadow ()
Date: May 22, 2008 05:53AM

Sallie
Does anyone know people who practice this stuff? I do.
I know one woman who gave up custody of her children(hard to be a mom when the little brats interfere with your mind melding moments).
This woman loves Oprah. The kids don't.

i don't know anyone, although a friend of mine has read the Tolle book...but i refuse to get into a lengthy discussion with her about its contents.

my kid, at age 18, told me that Oprah is "totally self-involved"!!! -- out of the mouth of babes eh?

regards,
Shad

Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: May 23, 2008 09:27PM

Thank you so much for posting something about Jill Bolte Taylor.

A friend sent me a link to her Oprah appearance and I felt so sickened by yet another snake oil sales pitch. Which I used to be such a sucker for. Arghhh. How wonderful that I can spot the bullshit quickly now, having gotten quite an education here in this forum.

I listened to Taylor's entire appearance, all four parts (how I got through it, I dunno), and she actually boils her message of finding inner peace down to this: "It's only a thought away." Oh sure, it's that simple. Been there, tried that. Life ain't that simple.

I'm soooo glad for this forum!

DownToEarth
Nice magazine cover, Anticult, LOL!

Just found an interesting web page about Oprah's new friend-to-be, Jill Bolte Taylor.

[westallen.typepad.com]

Sad thing is, Jill's experiences are going to be used by Oprah and the other woo-sters to reinforce their belief system. And it's all based on inaccuracy. <sigh> The first time I read about Jill, my first thought was, "Yes, but her brain was DAMAGED. This is not universal or spiritual truth or enlightenment, these sensations and her experiences were the result of neurological DAMAGE."

Check out the link, it's interesting and there are other links there as well. :-) Like this one:

[dangerousintersection.org]

Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: May 23, 2008 09:45PM

helpme2times,
I browsed through the link dangerousintersection.org
I think the author was being kind when calling Jill's recollection of a stroke "confabulation''.
That is a nice way of putting it. I am not afraid of a liable suit so I will just say that this JIll woman, imho, is a bs artist.....a liar....
She didn't have a stroke and remember every detail and survive by .............. getting in the moment or..... whatever.....
She's a liar.....
The article says it best when explaining that person's don't remember strokes with that sort of second by second clarity.....
Snake oil salesmen. Yes. That is what these persons are. Snake oil snailsmen...on Oprah's stage.

Date: May 27, 2008 09:54PM

Here's a link to an article on Oprah from the New York Times, discussing a fall in her ratings which just might be linked to her partisan support of various parties:

[[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26oprah.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin]A Few Tremors in Oprahland[/url]]

Posted by: Concerns ()
Date: May 28, 2009 09:48AM

Wow

I don't know why people criticize Oprah I like her she is just an interviewer and entertainer I don't run my life by what is on her show.

Date: May 28, 2009 11:13PM

Concerns
Wow

I don't know why people criticize Oprah I like her she is just an interviewer and entertainer I don't run my life by what is on her show.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But as Sallie pointed out above, Oprah is showcasing a number of people who could be considered snake oil salesmen. (Er, salespeople.) And she has a lot of influence on at least some of the population. That is cause for concern. I think it's great that people are speaking up about this stuff. If someone feels concern about something Oprah is touting and they do a little Googling, they might be fortunate enough to come upon information such as is shared here and then they will, hopefully, be less likely to be persuaded into doing something that might end up being useless, or even harmful and/or costly.

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: May 29, 2009 05:07AM

Oprah has done much charitable work. As has been covered at CultNews.net (Rick's news headline site) there is physical abuse alledgedly going on at her African school. She has repeatedly shilled for The Secret and other dubious "philosophies". She also is used to spread false rumors as was her dust up several years ago on the American beef industry.

She is an entertainer. Sadly, many entertainers believe too much in the hype that surrounds them from their various entourages. Imagine being told 24/7 how brilliant and talented you are? Wow...you would eventually have to believe it.

Case in point: Jenny McCartney and Jim Carrey are both actors/comedians who use their bully pulpit to pass on bad information about childhood immunization and vaccinations and the long debunked link with autism. They are doing the gullible a vast diservice and at the same time the life and health of children in society at large.

Oprah does more harm than good when she espouses and promotes The Secret and other crap. Watch the movie "Idiocracy". That is the bulk of society nowadays. People no longer have critical thinking skills as so they need to be informed, not fed crap.

Posted by: MikeTierney ()
Date: September 04, 2012 09:57PM

Nice post

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.