Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oprah's Leadership Academy
Posted by: Search4Tomorrow ()
Date: November 12, 2007 11:28PM

Well it's always about Oprah. She finds a way to alays cut off guests and add little sotires about her and her lover. I mean best friend Gail.

The school is a great idea, and i dont she is entirely to blame. She really should have cheked the referneces as it seems the house mother even indecentally sexually assualted one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 13, 2007 05:16AM

What I find interesting, is that it seems almost everyone in the western media thinks her school was a good idea. Is it?
It sounds like the residential boarding schools they had for native american children to try and "break their culture". That is why Oprah wanted to cut them off from their families and communities, due to the dysfunctional local culture in South Africa.
Does that work?
Or does it make things worse?

It seems to be a type of LGAT idea, where they isolate the kids, and then Transform them. But it doesn't work, never has. That is the lie of the LGAT.

Someone stated OPrah could have funded 100 teaching colleges in the country with the 40 million, not just one boarding school with a spa and movie theatres.
Who knows what will happen, but it could be that school messes those kids up even more, due to the family disruption?

It almost sounds like some type of Oprah Indoctrination Center.
After all, there were complaints before, and Oprah said in the media if they didn't like the school, they could pull their kids out. So the isolation of the kids is designed into the school.

The only people who seem to be against this type of school, are the actual aid groups who are working on the ground, they all seem to think its a poor idea and will fail.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 13, 2007 08:01AM

The whole set-up with the isolation, wowing these families with material goods, the near worshipful behavior of the children on her launch show just left me cold. It reminded too much of the accounts of kids here who fell victim to the residential behavior modification schools they were forced into (see the thread on the Troubled Teen Industry).

Posted by: Search4Tomorrow ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:47PM

Having a beauty salon and movie theartre, it pretty irresponsible.

These are kids for mainly poor black families, what r they gonna do when they elave the school, How will they get a manicure?

I agree she could have opene and helped more schools, with the money it costs to build this one.
Hopefully it has given someone else the idea to do such as that.

Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 16, 2007 11:22AM

I don't begrudge poor people the luxuries that most of us take for granted. There ARE schools in the US with the same goal which could have used a fraction of the money she spent in Africa to reach educational goals. Is was Oprah's sweeping generalizations about what kids in the US want (not education, but stuff) that was supposedly one of her reasons for opening the school in Africa. Perhaps the isolation and lack of oversight would not have happened here, but then, you don't know. With all the money she spent, you would think there would be more oversight. Again, it is the kids that suffer, and NOT Oprah.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.