Chick Corea and $cientology
Posted by: notefarm ()
Date: November 06, 2006 08:19PM

Hi to everyone.
I am so grateful to this web site and all of the posts I have read so far.

I am surprised that Chick Coreas association with the CoS is not discussed.

It was through his comments and endorsement of Dianetics and Hubbard tech, that got me reading some of the Hubbards books.

Chick seems to be even more outspoken over recent years, and I am getting a little tired of his pedaling of this death cult.  I am very saddened by his out spoken endorsement in recent articles and interviews, it borders on Proselytism. It certainly seems this is an attempt on the part of the CoS, to use a celebrity to lure new jazz musicians into it greedy hands.

I was lucky in so much as I had read a little of Freud and Jung, to know that Hubbard was way off course. And I was lucky that I was a fan of science, and knew that LRH’s "science" could not be proved and that he set about his science in a very unscientific manner.

But still I investigated and spent some time and a few $ on reading hubbards books, because "if Chick says it's good it must be, I must be missing something"

But I am concerned that another young (or older) musician may not be so lucky, may get sucked in and never fins a way out.

Also I find it hypocritical of Chick, saying that he is a Scientologist and then working with John Patatuci, John being a Born Again Christian, and Chick being a Scientologist, Chick must follow Hubbard as "source" of Scientology and to be a Scintolagist in good standing he must therefore agree with Hubbard when Hubbard says “there was no Christ” and that it is a figment of the great Thetan space opera.

I wonder if Chick finds it with in his “Ethics” to explain this to his fellow band mates.

I love Chicks music and have been a fan of his for many years, but his recent spite of CoS advertising is making me cringe. To the point that I can’t buy his new records or concert tickets knowing that some of that money will some how go back into auditing session and make DM and his empire of evil greed, even richer and more powerful than they already are.

At this point I even have a bit of a tough time recomending his CD’s to my students especially my younger more impressionable students. Lets they see the “Thanks to LRH “ in the CD sleeve and start buying into that nonsense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brad69 ()
Date: November 06, 2006 11:58PM

I just spent the better part of a day being thoroughly entertained by a number of anti-Scientology websites.

The best source, I would reckon is Operation Clambake at [www.xenu.net]

Then, Mark Bunker's blog at [xenutv.wordpress.com] has some superb material.

Also, if you like videos, take a look at Xenu TV at [www.xenutv.com]

Included on the website are some other videos under General Interest. Also, you will see what Scientologists are truly about in some remarkable videos featuring Mark Bunker while he worked for the Lisa McPherson Trust.

Seeing this stuff on video really brings out how bizarre this dangerous cult is.

Obviously, Rick Ross has a superb section on Scientology too at [www.culteducation.com]

Posted by: notefarm ()
Date: November 07, 2006 05:06AM

Hi there Brad,

Thank you for the reply, and the links.

Yes I have been watching those links for a little while. And the videos, amaze me too and make me realize just how bizarre these folks are. How they manage to swindle, and be responsible for such terrible behavior, and yet get away with it, time and time again, astounds me. I am so grateful for the xenu.net folks. for having the strength to stand up to the CoS.

Thanks again,

Notefarm

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: November 07, 2006 11:38AM

Chick Corea is not really taken that seriously in jazz music anymore. He's more of an entertainer these days, chubby, wearing Hawaiian shirts, making as much $ as possible and the like.

I have no problem boycotting those guys. If he talks about CoS at a concert, then boo him!
His early music was great, but all this Scientology junk is nonsense.

We can usually seperate the music from the man, but not when they are recruiting for a dangerous group like the CoS.

Posted by: xtb9 ()
Date: June 01, 2007 06:45AM

Same here. I even tried to send him a letter asking him about Scientology when I was 16, but I never got a reply. Several years later in college I stopped into a Dianetics center in Albany (again, out of admiration for Chick, Stanly Clarke, etc), but was so turned off by the guy running the center that I never went back.

I'm sorry to hear he has become more vocal about this. There must be pressure within Scientology to be more like Tom Cruise on this count.

_xtb9_

notefarm
It was through his comments and endorsement of Dianetics and Hubbard tech, that got me reading some of the Hubbards books.

Chick seems to be even more outspoken over recent years, and I am getting a little tired of his pedaling of this death cult.  I am very saddened by his out spoken endorsement in recent articles and interviews, it borders on Proselytism. It certainly seems this is an attempt on the part of the CoS, to use a celebrity to lure new jazz musicians into it greedy hands.

Re: Chick Corea and $cientology
Posted by: infinitymike ()
Date: June 24, 2008 04:20AM

Here's my dilema. I am a huge fan of chick corea's work. In my opinion, he is among the greatest pianists alive today. However, not only am I personally offended by biblical belief, i am very turned off by dangerous cults. Though scientology may work for some celebrities and such, the majority of people involved with scientology are EX-scientologists. It justs wants money. I feel bad for chick the same way as i do religious zealots, but he needs to keep his "faith" to himself just like everyone. Proselytizing and converting others is wrong (Which is why biblical belief offends me) and scientologists try to convert others like crazy. My girlfriend and I went to a scientology shop once since she was doing a report on religious diversity. The guy running the shop was so pushy and creepy, and the vidoe of L ron he showed us was so stupid that my girlfriend and i made up an excuse to leave. I am for deprogramming chick corea because he has too much talent to waste his money and time on a money-eating machine like scientology. I wish I could help him some how.

Posted by: gypsygirl95 ()
Date: June 27, 2012 10:39PM

Chick is pretty much going to be a Scientologist for the rest of his life, unless he somehow opens his eyes and realizes he's being scammed, not likely though, unfortunately.

I worked for him for a time when he lived in Clearwater. Very gentle and kind man, but he has a blind spot (as I did to) when it comes to Scn and he is very much indoctrinated, he's been involved for a very long time.

Posted by: adam3w4rt ()
Date: January 19, 2013 08:19AM

very interesting, i don't know about this,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.