Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Religion is the opiate of the masses
Posted by: richardmgreen ()
Date: July 27, 2003 05:05AM

Perhaps cults are the religions of people who are examples to the masses. It's lonely at the top and this is a country where people like to experiment with new ideas. Those people who
are in the public eye ride new trends and religions, cults etc.
are where they retreat for spiritual solace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CoffeeCup ()
Date: February 08, 2005 02:46PM

karl marx was the one who quoted the title of this topic. The father of communism, kind of interesting huh. most christian, judeao(sp.) and eastern religion promotes a better way of life and a bettering ones self to reach a new level, whether it is nervana(eastern religion) or a continual religious journey until heaven is reached(christianity and judaism). most of it is mainly constructive although the cults many of you speak of can be destructive from what you have said, i have had experience with some of these you speak of but since this forum is not in support or against any cult i wont voice my opinion on any perticular group.

Posted by: Pincled ()
Date: March 25, 2006 10:33PM

I believe that the rich and famous run out of steam for the ordinary and lose track of what that is in some cases. They also have enough money that they can afford to be different. It won't cost them too much.

Posted by: bonnie ()
Date: March 26, 2006 05:58AM

Cults are [b:96d9e3739d]money[/b:96d9e3739d]-making machines.

The religious aspect is "bread and circuses", a way to distract people and disguise the main activity, [b:96d9e3739d]raking in lots of dough[/b:96d9e3739d]. Guilt helps keep people from questioning cult activities. Requiring surrender to the head honcho keeps people from questioning cult activities.

Meditation, group induced bliss, and ritual act as opiates on participants.
Group approval is also a powerful drug, and most people will agree to all kinds of things in order to avoid rejection by their social group.

Celebrity membership and endorsement lend credence to the cult or group.
For some reason, in our culture, media celebrities have become our leaders, role models, and trusted spokesmen. Look at how they get elected to political office. (This is particularly absurd in the face of the fact that many, many celebrities have psychological and substance-abuse issues, and tend to be ethically corrupt from too much adulation and too much [b:96d9e3739d]money[/b:96d9e3739d].)

Celebrities probably join cults for the same reason anyone else does.

But for the cult, a celebrity is a real catch.
Not only does the cult have access to [b:96d9e3739d]large sums of money[/b:96d9e3739d] from a rich new member, they get a new spokesman to whom the public willingly pays attention.

Posted by: Kastlefeer ()
Date: August 16, 2006 06:57PM

Religion truly is a beast. You can murder a prominant scientist and usher in a dark age - see Cyril. You can fight for god and get your neighbours blown to crap - see Hezbollah. See the spanish inquisition, or see Algeria in the 90's, or the endemic global terrorism, or the plutocrat/cult versions without a godhead save the almighty buck - see Landmark or Scientology heh ...

Religion is annoying and festering, why is it allowed to exist. This age of enlightenment is not nearly robust enough. Humans are strange creatures, I guess we forget we are animals after all. Still a lot of work to do.

For example I go to see my neurologist recently and am aghast when starts to mention JESUS IN HIS LIFE! I immediately mention that i'm an athiest and offended by his words. But really what the hell is he going on about? Is he not acting in breach of ethics of some sort? And he's a medical docter for fucks sake I do not want someone god fearing looking at my brain with supposed objectivity. NO SIR NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Secular humanism needs a hand up these days. I feel like crying when I read about Hypatia and the world going to sleep for a millenia. I really think there's a lot more at stake then people realise.

Date: August 27, 2006 11:06PM

No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.
George H. W. Bush

That's just wow ... I'm more outspoken these days about being an athiest. Luckily I live in Canada but many of my net pals are American. While things can go a little quiet when I mention it, they are respectful enough and noone has ever challenged or asked me not to state my beliefs or that I'm wrong. In fact I have great respect for my American friends.

So what's in the water these high profile dumb asses are drinking these days!?

Posted by: elena ()
Date: August 28, 2006 12:22AM

Kastlefeer
No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.
George H. W. Bush

That's just wow ... I'm more outspoken these days about being an athiest. Luckily I live in Canada but many of my net pals are American. While things can go a little quiet when I mention it, they are respectful enough and noone has ever challenged or asked me not to state my beliefs or that I'm wrong. In fact I have great respect for my American friends.

So what's in the water these high profile dumb asses are drinking these days!?

Large corporations and/or groups of extremely wealthy and like-minded individuals are vetting politicians (puppets) they can control. The puppet must not have a brain or imagine himself to have any power beyond the dictates of his handlers. They like religions, because a religion can be reconfigured to suit any purpose, and the religious, because they are controllable and obedient.

Ellen

Posted by: csfield ()
Date: February 12, 2007 06:34PM

Patriotism isn't necessarily a great thing either. Bertrand Russell (an atheist) defined patriotism as the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: February 12, 2007 10:08PM

csfield:

And what is your purpose in being here?

Is there a group or leader that you are somehow sympathetic to that is listed or mentioned somewhere in the Ross Institute database?

Date: February 27, 2007 04:31PM

Kastlefeer
George H. W. Bush

It seems the place I borrowed this quote from is now reporting that it cannot by verified despite vigorous attempts to do so. Being a dubious quote, probably should be ignored ...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.