How tolerant must we be of New Age proselytizers?
Posted by: darkadaptedeyes ()
Date: March 01, 2011 05:40AM

Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a few years, and want to thank all the contributors, and Rick Ross, for providing a harbor of reason and (un)common sense in a world gone the way of Oprah-ism. Having been involved in the New Age scam and occultism for about ten years, and then gradually deprogramming over a period of 5 years, I've been free of the New Age delusions for about a decade now. Since that time, it's become pervasive, absolutely everywhere, and no matter where I turn, I cannot escape the deranged immorality and wacky bromides that are on the tip of everyone's tongue these days. It brings up a lot of anger and frustration, especially because the whole LOA blame-the-victim idiocy is so offensive, callous and injurious, yet SO many people subscribe to this ideology now (Thank you, Oprah). So what do you all do, in response? Recently I was ill and had a cancer scare, and a New Age acquaintance informed me that I must ask forgiveness for not only my own "past life" errors, but those of my parents, and even grandparents. New twist on "sins of the Father", eh? I've taken to cutting off contact with people like this, and sometimes I feel guilty for being "intolerant" (some of the brainwashing never really goes away, I suppose). But this crap just makes me seethe, and am trying to minimize my exposure to it as much as possible. Oh, and attempts to present a reasonable and MORAL point of view to these folks, no matter how gentle, don't work. They are convinced they are oh, so enlightened, and you are just a silly plebeian who isn't "ready" for this great spiritual wisdom. Insert eye roll here.

Thank you for providing this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How tolerant must we be of New Age proselytizers?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 01, 2011 08:47AM

In my opinion, if you are under stress already, (as you describe with your medical diagnosis) you are under zero obligation to put up with pushy people, period.

Ive just said, 'I am already taken care of' if someone tries to push some product or belief system at me that I do not want.

And if they refuse to respect your stated limits, just say no.

No is a complete sentence.

Folks are free to make their offers but you're just as free to say NO.

And, in some cases folks may be proslytizing for a group that has trained them to ignore your 'no' and take 'no' as a signal to just keep pushing.

Years back, someone tried to sell me an upgrade and I said I was happy with what I had and was not interested.

The person asked 'What is holding you back?'

I roared 'Nothing is holding me back. When I want an upgrade I will choose to call you.' Then I slammed down that phone hard.

If you are dealing with folks who are indoctrinated to hear 'no' as 'just keep pushing' you have to be brutally tough. Folks like this are not operating by the first amendment, anyway.

Posted by: darkadaptedeyes ()
Date: March 02, 2011 03:14PM

I hope I didn't say something wrong and that's why my comment wasn't let through. It just occurred to me that saying I'm a "lurker" probably wasn't the best choice of words. I don't usually post on message boards. In any case, my gratitude for this site and all here is genuine; you have no idea how many times you have saved me from despair because I am surrounded by people who are parroting this mumbo jumbo and it's very alienating. Sorry if I said anything untoward.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: March 02, 2011 11:21PM

darkadaptedeyes, all postings have to be approved by a moderator prior to showing up.

Eventually, if you are lucky, the moderator may give you the ability to instantly post.

Using the term "Lurking" would not be an issue. Many of us were lurkers here prior to posting our first message.

Welcome!

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: March 03, 2011 01:26AM

Its too bad that the courtesy and patience needed to sit and read before participating on a forum has been given the
pejorative term, 'lurk'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.