Current Page: 1 of 31
The Zeitgeist Movement (TZM)
Posted by: DavidWish ()
Date: February 19, 2011 02:26PM

I have recently come across some video and reading from this organization. I have found they present some decent ideas. The more I have looked into this group and read the writings of many of it members I have found that there are unjustified argumentive behaviors exhibited by many of the so called followers. I recently came across this link discussing them as exhibiting some of the characteristics of a cult. I thought it would probably be a good idea to mention this new movement here, so others might have a starting place. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

http://zeitgeistmovements.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/zeitgeist-blogs-zeitgeist-is-a-mind-heist/

http://anticultist.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/so-you-dont-think-tvp-and-tzm-are-a-cult/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Zeitgeist Movement (TZM)
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: February 19, 2011 10:56PM

Quote from discussion on yahoo

"The Zeitgeist Movement is the Activist Arm of the Venus Project which proposes a new direction for humanity, as a solution to much of the worlds dominant problems. "

and

People who have awakened both intellectually and spiritually (not religious!) will understand what Zeitgeist is about. Others who immediately condemn and criticize are still not able to comprehend beyond their fear-based thinking and cannot yet begin conceptualize anything beyond the physical.

Key question: is free exchange of ideas and disagreements possible? Or are discussions controlled.

Robert J Lifton's checklist is another reliable diagnostic tool

[www.culteducation.com]

Ideas may be decent or appealing but there are other guidelines

*Can members consider it possible that the ZM's approach possible be wrong or someday become unecessary or obsolete?

*Is it considered possible to take an objective outside stance in relation to ZM or are you either With Us or Against Us?

Humor Test

Can you make affectionate jokes about ZM or complain without being treated as a traitor to the cause?

Is what you see what you actually get or is there bait and switch?

Are you told at outset that there is freedom of discussion and a particular goal and then, once you get involved, it changes, and the goal becomes more and more authoritarian, discussions are more tightly controlled, and persons who disagree are kicked out?

Are there secrets?

If the movement is about sustainability is this cover for other agendas?

One way to study something is to examine the group as a social movement

* Which other groups does it associate with--what are the histories of those other groups?

*What is/are the histories of the leader/s?

This discussion refers to Zeitgeist movement in connection to something called the Zeitgeist movies and the Venus Project--whatever that is

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

What Is The Zeitgeist Movement About?
I don't Know If Anyone Has Heard Of The Zeitgeist Movies That came Out Only On Internet.It's Pretty Interesting But Can Anyone Tell me What The Movement Is For???
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
Candy Apple Red by Candy Apple Red
Miembro desde:
29 septiembre 2008

Puntos totales:
844 (Nivel 2)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
Mejor respuesta - elegida por los votantes

First answer said it perfectly. I can't believe anyone would believe that garbage.
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
100% 1 voto
Barra de Acción:
6 estrellas - seleccionala por ser: ¡Interesante!
Correo
Comentario (15)
Guardar
Guardar en Yahoo! Favoritos
Añadir en Mi Yahoo!
RSS

(Name omitted) A question for those who didn't like this movie. Do you really think this is garbage or did someone else tell you it is?
Reportalo

(Name Omitted)
I and a team of individuals are designing and working on the creation of a test city based on THE VENUS PROJECT and the principles of resource management and energy abundance. Please if anyone here has a desire to contribute. Contact us at Studentsforchange@live.com or visit www.frescocity.com
Reportalo

snac-pac snac-pac
Ya well i dont think youve even watched it your obviously just another ******* robot who is to ingnorant to beleve that all this shit is fucked and are comfortable with the fact that we have no control its all set up heres some advice watch the movie and quit being so egocentric
Reportalo

(name omitted)
I cant believe that lousy "answer" got chosen as the best, my advice is, to anyone that's doubtful, or ignorant to open their minds and watch the 2 movies till the very end, i was so skeptical at first but watching them made me think about a lot of things on how we live today and about my future ...
Reportalo

(name omitted)
How on earth can that 'red on yellow' answer be the best one? Watch the Zeitgeist Movies for yourself and then use alternative internet sources to check it. It is uncomfortable, scary and enlightening but it is definitely not garbage.
Reportalo

(name omitted)
I agree it's not garbage
Reportalo

(name omitted)
The Zeitgeist Movement is the Activist Arm of the Venus Project which proposes a new direction for humanity, as a solution to much of the worlds dominant problems.
Reportalo

(name omitted)
Anyone that would answer that it's just 'garbage' clearly hasn't seen the films or visited the website. They are just uninformed.
Reportalo

(name omitted)
How can you say it's garbage, red on yellow?
Reportalo

(name omitted)He does not think for himself and does not investigate.
Reportalo

(name omitted)
Yep...it's true...ignorance IS bliss...bet she's happy as can be too...
Reportalo

(name omitted)
I love how hopefully the second answer lays out this solution..beautiful that some beings have taken the perspicacity to think things through and come up with something wonderfully productive & positive
Reportalo

Kerry S Kerry S
Is this thread still alive?
Reportalo

Sade Sade
Every Human Being Needs to Watch the Zeitgeist Movies. I Try to Get People to Watch It and Most People Do Not. I Get Frustrated By This. But, the Ones That Have Watched It Have Become More Aware...Please Share This Movie With Everyone
Reportalo

(name omitted)

People who have awakened both intellectually and spiritually (not religious!) will understand what Zeitgeist is about. Others who immediately condemn and criticize are still not able to comprehend beyond their fear-based thinking and cannot yet begin conceptualize anything beyond the physical.
Reportalo

* Debés entrar en Respuestas para añadir comentarios. Ingresá o Registrate.

Esta pregunta "What Is The Zeitgeis… " fue publicada originalmente en Yahoo! Respuestas Estados Unidos

Otras respuestas (8)
Mostrar: Todas las respuestas De lo más viejo a lo más nuevo De lo más nuevo a lo más viejo Calificado de lo más alto al más bajo
(name omitted)
Miembro desde:
11 octubre 2008
Puntos totales:
104 (Nivel 1)
Añadir amigo
(name omitted)
Brought in conception in the documentaries Zeitgeist and Zeitgeist: Addendum. It conceptualizes a new social transformation.

You need to go to the website and READ.

It's the most logical, intelligent solution to all of our worlds problems based on a possible 'resource based economy'. Which in essence means all humans are entitled to and have heritage to the earths resources, that we are capable now of becoming technologically advanced enough to create in abundance all the items we need to live. Food, shelter, health and safety. Leaving us free from labor and work to pursue education, creativity, and develop ourselves as a race. It abolishes such things like money, government, religion, war, the military, and diversionary materialistic noise. Problems are resolved through education and understanding the roots of and fixing or transcending them. It is not a political movement. it does not recognize governments or nations. Only true symbiosis of humans and the earth. Technology, science, nature, humans, and intelligence working together to create and maintain global long term stability. It is a non profit web site.

It opens up a whole new thought for the future of the human race. It brings up a lot of questions concerning transition without losing art, or movies, or entertainment, games. But I think it also proves that we only feel the want for these things because we are conditioned to since birth.

Watch the site for more content. and get involved. It's the only way we're going to truly save our selves from ourselves.
Fuente (s):
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com, www.zeitgeistmovie.com
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
16 personas la calificaron como buena
Weedkid by Weedkid
Miembro desde:
11 octubre 2008
Puntos totales:
119 (Nivel 1)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
zeitgeist its not a load of crap. did you even researched if the data presented in the movie is true ? You didn't. Why? Because you might feel betrayed by your own system and beliefs, and instead of researching, you just closed the movie and forgot about what happened.
I did researched, because i didn't believed(some facts) myself what were they saying , and it did make sense after all.
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
12 personas la calificaron como buena
Jefferi W by Jefferi W
Miembro desde:
11 octubre 2008
Puntos totales:
108 (Nivel 1)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
You may have to wait till the site comes up before you can know more information on it. Till then watch the movies, for me what it explains is so obvious. try out www.infowars.com or www.prisonplanet.com you can get alot of info from those sites. People have to wake up and realize what is happening to us before its too late. you owe it to yourself to watch this movie and do research
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
6 personas la calificaron como buena
Bob M by Bob M
Miembro desde:
14 septiembre 2008
Puntos totales:
312 (Nivel 2)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
The movement is aimed at expanding human awareness and fixing society, since it is obviously broken. It aims to guide humans to a new level of society, one that improves upon the mistakes we made before. It is a cultural evolution.
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
6 personas la calificaron como buena
think4yourself by think4yo...
Miembro desde:
10 octubre 2008
Puntos totales:
125 (Nivel 1)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
you can go the website. www.zeitgeistmovie.com

there are two documentaries... zeitgeist and then zeitgeist addendum.

they are pretty lengthy.... but they may give you more information.

good luck!
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
5 personas la calificaron como buena
Virgil F by Virgil F
Miembro desde:
22 enero 2008
Puntos totales:
978 (Nivel 2)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
The movement is to garner an international unity of humans to break down the current monetary and government systems currently in use
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
5 personas la calificaron como buena
bullyhillonline by bullyhil...
Miembro desde:
11 octubre 2008
Puntos totales:
104 (Nivel 1)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
I'm with Abel V

Watch, Investigate, Consider

Ignorance isn't so much blissful as it is dangerous
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
7 personas la calificaron como buena
Abel V by Abel V
Miembro desde:
21 septiembre 2008
Puntos totales:
112 (Nivel 1)
Añadir amigo
Bloquear
Respuesta oculta por calificación baja

LOL a load of crap. ur a load of crap for sayin that. don't listen to them simply watch the movie with an unbiased opinion and then do some research. The internet is full of information USE IT. watch both they tie in together and the second is more in depth but they are kind of long.
hace 2 años
Denunciar abuso
0% 0 votos
2 personas la calificaron como buena
Descubrí preguntas en Otros - Sociedad y Cultura
¿Las chinas o las japonesas tienen una forma diferente de hacer el amor?
¿quien ganaría en esta guerra?
¿Alguien me puede ayudar a saber que tipo de descendencia tengo?
¿Los fumadores son gente "puerca", gente sucia?
¿Listo para participar? ¡Empezá!

Preguntas relacionadas
Is the Zeitgeist movement onto a good thing?
Zeitgeist Movement, are you For or Against?
what do you think of the ZEITGEIST movement?
Zeitgeist movement? What exactly are they advocating?
How many people have seen Zeitgeist: Addendum?

Date: February 19, 2011 11:00PM

Okay...Venus Project. What is that?
What happens when we put Venus Project in the exact phrase slot (or betweena pair of exclaimation marks which is the same thing) and add Zeitgeist

[www.google.com]

The Venus ProjectThe Venus Project is dedicated to confronting all of these problems by actively
engaging ... The Zeitgeist Movement is the activist arm of The Venus Project ...
[www.thevenusproject.com] - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

The Venus Project | Beyond Politics, Poverty & War » After ...Feb 2, 2011 ... After Thoughts on Zeitgeist Moving Forward on V-Radio.
[www.thevenusproject.com] - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Zeitgeist - The Venus Project Part1/4
All credits go to: -Zeitgeist, The Movie Final Edition video.google.pl -Zeitgeist: Addendum video.google.pl
10 min -
[www.youtube.com]

The Zeitgeist Movement: The Venus Project
This is a clip take from the Zeitgeist Movement Presentation Slide Film found here: www.thezeitgeistmovement.com
7 min -
[www.youtube.com]

The Zeitgeist MovementWelcome to the Global Website of The Zeitgeist Movement. Enter Global/US Website
. LANGUAGES. INTERNATIONAL CHAPTERS. USA STATE CHAPTERS ...
[thezeitgeistmovement.com] - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

Zeitgeist: Addendum and The Venus Project hoax : Little Bites of PointOct 8, 2008 ... View the Zeitgeist film at the bottom of this post. The Venus Project assumes
there can be an abundance of everything. ...
[www.pointbite.com] - Similar pages

The Venus Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe Venus Project is featured prominently in the 2008 documentary film Zeitgeist
: Addendum, as a possible solution to the global problems explained in the ...
[en.wikipedia.org] - 64k - Cached - Similar pages

Thanks But No Thanks, Sarah Palin: The Venus Project - Zeitgeist ...Oct 15, 2008 ... The Venus Project - Zeitgeist Movement - Fascinating. I viewed the 2 hours
length film twice. No. I don't have a lot of time on my hands. ...
[thanksbutnothankssarahpalin.blogspot.com] - 71k - Cached - Similar pages

My take on Zeitgeist: Addendum and The Venus Project. Please read ...I have just watched the second Zeitgeist movie tonight, and I have mixed reviews
on it. Especially about The Venus Project. ...
[www.abovetopsecret.com] - 76k - Cached - Similar pages

Newsvine - The Venus Project: Zeitgeist MovementOct 18, 2008 ... If you look into the Venus project a bit deeper. I think you will find it is
almost verbatim with the other elitist groups that claim they ...
[nearing.newsvine.com] - 133k - Cached - Similar pages

News: Zeitgeist and the Venus ProjectMar 21, 2009 ... Earlier this year, I watched Zeitgeist: Addendum and was going along with it
until it reached the part about the Venus Project. ...
[flog.flamesong.com] - 43k - Cached - Similar pages

This list 1 through 10 corresponds to additional pages on Google. Read away, folks..

Next

Date: February 19, 2011 11:07PM

This blog article is interesting and so are the comments.

Someone named Jacque Fresco is referred to.

[flog.flamesong.com]

and the writer of the blog article gave a citation to an article in the New York Times

[www.nytimes.com]

They ve Seen the Future and Dislike the Present
Sign In to E-Mail
Print
Reprints
By ALAN FEUER
Published: March 16, 2009
Two hours into Z-Day, the educational forum associated with the online movie “Zeitgeist,” Peter Joseph, the film’s director and the evening’s M.C., stepped out from behind his lectern and walked forward earnestly on the stage.

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

James Estrin/The New York Times
Peter Joseph, the director of two online “Zeitgeist” movies, was applauded after criticizing the global system of monetary finance.

Enlarge This Image

James Estrin/The New York Times

Before the forum started, Jacque Fresco, 93, the futurist, talked with young admirers in the audience about his Venus Project.

In his goatee and mustache and tieless in a brown suit, Mr. Joseph had been lecturing for nearly 90 minutes on the unsustainable nature of the money-based economy — on cyclical consumption, planned obsolescence, corporate malfeasance and piles of poisonous waste. “It’s time that we wake up,” he intoned, speaking solemnly through a wireless clip-on mike. “The doomsday scenario, the big contraction, might be happening right now. The system of monetary exchange is — in the face of advancing technology — completely obsolete.”

This drew wild applause from the sold-out crowd, a patchwork of perhaps 900 people who paid $10 a head on Sunday night to sit in a packed auditorium at the Borough of Manhattan Community College on Chambers Street near the West Side Highway. Z-Day events were taking place from New England to New Zealand, but this was the big one: the marquee happening with the marquee names.

There, in the crowd, was Jacque Fresco, an industrial designer and the engineering guru of what people unironically called “the movement.” Mr. Fresco, an elfin 93-year-old, sat beside his partner, Roxanne Meadows, smiling self-effacingly.

Mr. Joseph, back on stage, waited patiently as some of the crowd, still cheering, refused to leave their feet.

If the election of Barack Obama was supposed to denote the gradual demise of churlish, corporate governance and usher in a new, sustainable era of visionary change, there was little sign of it at the second annual meeting of the Worldwide Zeitgeist Movement, which, its organizers said, held 450 sister events in 70 countries around the globe.

“The mission of the movement is the application of the scientific method for social change,” Mr. Joseph announced by way of introduction. The evening, which began at 7 with a two-hour critique of monetary economics, became by midnight a utopian presentation of a money-free and computer-driven vision of the future, a wholesale reimagination of civilization, as if Karl Marx and Carl Sagan had hired John Lennon from his “Imagine” days to do no less than redesign the underlying structures of planetary life.

In other words, a not entirely inappropriate response to the zeitgeist itself, which one young man, a philosophy student in a roomy purple blazer, described before the show began as “the world as we know it coming to an end.” As the evening labored on with a Power Point presentation, a panel talk with Mr. Fresco and a spirited question and answer session, some basic themes emerged: modern economics is a fraud; global debt will crush the planet; society itself is dying from the profit motive; and people ought to wise up to the fact that more than legislation — or presidential administrations — needs to change.

Though they were never actually shown — as most in attendance had seen them several times — Mr. Joseph’s two films, “Zeitgeist, the Movie” (released in 2007) and “Zeitgeist: Addendum” (released last fall), were the subtext of the evening: online documentaries that have been watched, he says, by 50 million people around the world.

The former may be most famous for alleging that the attacks of Sept. 11 were an “inside job” perpetrated by a power-hungry government on its witless population, a point of view that Mr. Joseph said he has recently “moved away from.” Indeed, the second film, the focus of the event, was all but empty of such conspiratorial notions, directing its rhetoric and high production values toward posing a replacement for the evils of the banking system and a perilous economy of scarcity and debt.

That’s where Mr. Fresco came in, an author, lecturer and former aircraft engineer at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio who has spent the last six decades working on the Venus Project, a futuristic society where (adjust your seatbelts, now) machines would control government and industry and safeguard the planet’s fragile resources by means of an artificially intelligent “earthwide autonomic sensor system” — a super-brain of sorts connected to, yes, all human knowledge.

If this sounds vaguely like a disaster scenario out of “2001: A Space Odyssey,” Mr. Fresco did not seem worried in the least. Machines are unemotional and unaggressive, unlike human beings, he told the crowd during the question-and-answer phase. “If you took your laptop and smashed it in front of 50 other laptops, trust me, none of them would care.”

The audience — white, black, young, old, baseball caps and business suits alike — received such words like a tonic, and the questions kept coming: What would family life be like in the future? What would happen if the automated system decided that a person had to die? Mr. Fresco and Ms. Meadows are planning the production of a major feature film to bring the Venus Project to a wider, global audience. Before the night began, Mr. Fresco, a small man with a V-neck sweater and a hearing aid, sat signing books and answering questions from a dozen or so college students gathered like acolytes at his feet.

As the evening came to a close, someone finally asked: So what would it take to actually put such a program into action? A grassroots movement, Mr. Joseph said.

“We already have a quarter-million members,” he insisted from the stage. “At the rate things are going, this will be at Madison Square Garden next year>"
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: February 19, 2011 11:21PM

Names to research for any students of sociology out there into Zeitgeist Movement or Venus Project

Peter Joseph

Jacque Fresco

Roxanne Meadows

Date: February 19, 2011 11:32PM

According to this citation there is some confusion in nomenclature.

Is Peter Joseph the same as Peter Joseph Merola? More research is needed.

[www.google.com]

Link to Conspiracy Science forum:SKeptical Inquiry Consortium

[conspiracyscience.com]

Youtube

[www.youtube.com]

Note: interested readers who benefit from conpare and contrast research are
invited to study the thread for Transition Towns.

There are a lot of fear driven projects out there and comparing different ones can be an interesting exercise for a journalist or dedicated student looking for an in depth project.

Note to MA and Ph.D candidates: select a thesis or dissertation topic that will be really interesting. That way when you feel tired, all you need to do is mention your topic at a party and people will be so intrigued that their interest will revivie your energy.

And..you may be offered some interesting leads for your research, too.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: February 19, 2011 11:51PM

Another discussion from the Conspiracy Science/Skeptics Consortium forum about some internal disputes within TZM and a reference to "Peter Merola"

[conspiracyscience.com]

On this page for Triodos bank, a bank run on the principles of Anthroposophy (a spin off of Theosophy created by Rudolf Steiner) there is a list of 24 projects financially tied to Triodos bank.

The bank does support whatever it deems capable of improvign society and among the stuff supported are Starbucks(!!!!!!!) and Whole Foods.

And..something named Venus Project

[wedreambusiness.org]

currently displaying projects: 1-24 / 63 total
decend order by: date added · views · likes

ecoVeritas
Environmental Consultancy
Oxford, UK

2059 views, 1142 likes
INDISKA
clothing and interior design inspired from India
Stockholm, Sweden by Mathilda Hamilton

500 views, 5 likes
Kuyichi International BV
Retail
Netherlands

128 views, 7 likes
Specialisterne
Software testing
Copenhagen, Denmark

352 views, 5 likes
TORRASPAPEL, S.A
Fabrication and distribution of paper
Barcelona, Spain

420 views, 2 likes
Whole Foods Market
Health Food Store
Austin, United States

439 views, 3 likes
Ecotricity
Energy; Green Energy and Wind Power
Country Stroud, England

398 views, 5 likes
Sodexo
Foodservices, facility management, service vouchers
Marseille, France

127 views, 45 likes
ibuTrade
homeware, fashion accessories, clothing, toys, books
Maleny, Qld, Australia

415 views, 5 likes
Rabobank
International financial services provider
Netherlands

82 views, 2 likes
Campbells
Food - Soup, Tomato Juice, Sauces, Cookies, Crackers
Camden, New Jersey, United States

621 views, 6 likes
Starbucks Coffee Company
Food & beverage industry
Seattle, USA

4 views, 2 likes
Juan Valdez Cafe
Coffee Production
Bogota, Colombia

330 views, 2 likes
SteelCase
Office furniture industry (sustainable products)
Michigan, US

447 views, 6 likes
MicroPlace
Micro finance
San Jose, California, USA

515 views, 7 likes
MRW
Transport / Logistics
Barcelona, Spain

430 views, 4 likes
Caja de Ahorros del Mediterr?neo
Banking
Alicante, Murcia. Spain

439 views, 1 like
MANGO
Fashion clothes and complements
Barcelona, Spain

362 views, 7 likes
The Venus Project
Visions of Future
Venus, Florida - USA

765 views, 5 likes
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc
Coffee
Waitsfield, Vermont. United States

745 views, 1 like
Alter Eco Fair Trade
Food / Fair trade industry
Paris, France

1134 views, 19 likes
Greyston Bakery
Baked Goods (Ice cream mix-ins, brownies and cakes)
New York (Bronx), USA

182 views, 6 likes
Patagonia, Inc.
Retail/Outdoor apparel
Ventura, California

317 views, 5 likes
Triodos Bank
Financial Services/ Sustainable Banking
Netherlands

109 views, 4 likes Triodos Bank
Make your money make a difference

industry: Financial Services/ Sustainable Banking
founded: 1980
LIKE4 likes Share/Save/Bookmark print
Main facts

Triodos Bank finances projects, institutions, individuals as well as companies that promote cultural value and benefit people and the environment. The bank offers a range of services that include saving, investing, asset management, private banking, payment services, lending and insurance.

The lending consist of the sectors Nature & Environment which in 2009 accounts for 4 7 % and entails energy projects such as wind power and hydroelectric projects. It also embraces organic agriculture, projects across the entire agricultural chain and environmental technology, such as recycling companies. Further 21% of the loans are distributed to Social Business whether they are traditional businesses, innovative enterprises or service providers with clear social objectives.The Culture&Welfare sector (30%) includes small loans to organisations working in education, care for people with disabilities, complementary healthcare and artists. All the enterprises Triodos Bank lends to in this sector have a clear, people-centred policy.

The Investment takes place through investment funds or investment institutions bearing the Triodos name and managed by Triodos Bank. Theses funds do not occur on the Bank’s balance sheet, they publish separate annual reports and each has its own Annual General Meeting of Shareholders. In 2008, there were 13 investment funds, in which individuals and institutions could invest.

Ethical challenges

The world as a whole is constantly challenged by unethical operations regarding environmental issues, human rights issues and developing issues. The constant battle against companies and projects that contribute to pollution, wars and violation of human rights etc. is an ethical challenge that also banks that finance these operations should take into account. When lending money to different projects, companies and institutions, banks are contributing to building societies. This because all projects, companies and institutions are dependent on finance in order to operate, and thus banks have an indirect responsibility for their actions.

Triodos Bank only lends to social businesses, charities, community projects and environmental initiatives. By selecting the projects, companies and institutions based on the value added they contribute to the society; Triodos Bank is addressing the ethical challenge of investing its customer’s deposits in operations that contribute to a more sustainable society. Triodos Bank’s financing policies contributes to and encourages operations that create a better world; community wise, environmental wise, developing wise and regarding human rights.

Furthermore, a bank is lending its customers deposits, thus they have an ethical obligation to act in the interest of their customers. With Triodos Bank’s commitment to transparency, and by publishing their lending’s, they are taking the issue of information and responsibility to act in the interest of their customers seriously.

Why do we trust Tridos?

Triodos Bank finances companies, institutions and projects with the support of depositors and investors who want to encourage corporate social responsibility and a sustainable society. Triodos is a pioneer in ethical banking because it is concerned with the social and environmental impacts of its investments and loans. We really think that Triodos is an ethical company because its mission is:
• To help create a society that promotes people’s quality of life and that has human dignity at its core.
• To enable individuals, institutions and businesses to use money more consciously in ways that benefit people and the environment, and promote sustainable development.
• To offer their customers sustainable financial products and high quality service.
They enable money to work for positive social, environmental and cultural change by offering a comprehensive range of banking.
Their corporate values are: Sustainability, Transparency, Excellence and Entrepreneurship. And as we know, ethical profitable behavior can be distinguished from profitable unethical behaviors by the transparent and confidential attitudes they imply. Here, in the case of ethical business, there is an interest in ensuring the transparency of the ethical dimensions of behavior.

Triodos Bank seeks to invest in companies that are not in fundamental conflict with their values and that deliver long-term value in harmony with society and the environment. Dialogue with companies is then an important part of the process.

Furthermore, they exercise voting rights to responsible share-ownership. By attending annual general meetings and by voting, they are able to challenge companies to do things in a more sustainable way, and in a way that benefits not only shareholders, but all stakeholders. They also contribute to a more people-oriented society. Triodos Bank has identified seven themes, which it considers most relevant for society. These themes include the responsible use of their cultural heritage, animal welfare, ecosystems, human rights, natural resources, social structures and human health.

We trust it is ethical because Triodos is unusual as it only lends to businesses and charities judged to be of social or ecological benefit. This "positive screening" extends its policies beyond those of ethical banks which solely avoid investing in companies judged to be doing harm.

Future challenges and improvements

One of Triodos key businesses is ‘continuous improvement’, which means that they continuously seek to improve all facets of their business. For example, they have developed their own voting guidelines, and each year they focus on specific sustainability themes. In 2009 these are climate change, obsolescence (lifespan of products) and directors’ remuneration. In addition to voting and raising questions at AGMs, they also meet with companies to help encourage their sustainability strategy and performance.

Triodos Bank has announced plans for a new capital raising offer this autumn thanks to a strong growth across all its activities. Over the next three to four years, the Bank expects to double its balance sheet total, customer numbers and lending to sustainable companies. The financial crisis has led to unprecedented interest in Triodos Bank’s sustainable approach to banking. The planned capital raising will help support the Bank’s anticipated growth.

The launch of the Triodos Microfinance Fund aims to increase access to financial services for the working poor in developing countries and is expected to grow from its first close of EUR 22 million to EUR 100 million by the end of the year. Then, we really think that the company is in great progress and announce good results and improvements for the future. They are increasing their impact on company behaviour.

Company figures:

Amounts in millions of euro
Total income 73.7
Net profit 10.1
Number of employees 475
Number of accounts: 169,517
Countries of Operation: Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Spain, United Kingdom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bibliography:

1. Grover, S. (2007) Triodos Bank explores ‘Ethical Consumption’. Retrieved 28th of May from: [www.treehugger.com]
2. Triodos Bank (n.d). Retrieved 28th of May from: www.triodos.com
[transitiontownwatch.blogspot.com]

[www.google.com]

[nicknakorn.wordpress.com]

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: February 19, 2011 11:57PM

Finally turns out there are quite a few discussions of TZM on the Skeptical Inquirers Consortium site. Lots.

[conspiracyscience.com]

Posted by: DavidWish ()
Date: February 20, 2011 01:42AM

Corboy,
Thank you for your hard work researching this current cult. I became a memeber of their forum yesterday and had to pass a test, just to post and speak my opinion. Just like you said, "Key question: is free exchange of ideas and disagreements possible? Or are discussions controlled." The answer is yes.

I posted this on their webiste this morning.

[www.thezeitgeistmovement.com]

They are now responding with excuses that they can do bad, because good is only for the future. Sigh. I feel sorry for the children of the parents that are involved.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: February 20, 2011 05:36AM

I watched some of 'Zeitgeist' the movie a few years ago, until I realised that it was a conspiracy theorist's holy grail, a Theory of Everything.
Jared Loughner was an already troubled person who was caught by it apparently:

[spectator.org]

Current Page: 1 of 31

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.