Recovery from Nondualism
Posted by: Tiredofthis ()
Date: February 09, 2011 07:35AM

Hi.Well i saw threads on "recovering NOWists" and all that and i'm just wondering if it's possible to recover from nondualism, ie. to feel like a separate self again, with body and mind in time, a little me (if anyone knows what i mean) and all that. The reason i ask is because a lot of areas of life, in my case, being a student require a "little me" and a sense of time, ie. being in time and a mind in time i.e. i have to do this, that etc which is largely absent in nondualism. It's just that with this state i feel it's quite tedious annoying getting things done i.e. studying, it takes much longer for me for some reason to read articles, study etc, like your mind isn't totally focused for some reason (and maybe less intelectually inclined) and there's nothing really pushing you anyway to do anything. Like it's just always "now" and time has lost all meaning ie you don't feel like you're in time so it's hard to budget it etc.

Is there a way undo all this or no? I read eckhart's the power of now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recovery from Nondualism
Posted by: jah ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:11AM

Hi Tiredofthis,

First I am curious whether or not what you describe is a sort of tendency you have, or the result of a lot of reading or practice of something?

For instance, there is a some research that indicates that a lot of meditation without focus on something can cause a certain amount of disassociation or what is sometimes called 'right brain dominance,' which makes getting things done less easy.

At another level, what many so-called non-duality teachers often fail to impress upon their flock that true non-duality includes both the non-dual awareness state and the duality awareness state. In other words, being fully present in one should not exclude being fully present in the other.

Date: February 11, 2011 04:21AM

jah
Hi Tiredofthis,

First I am curious whether or not what you describe is a sort of tendency you have, or the result of a lot of reading or practice of something?

For instance, there is a some research that indicates that a lot of meditation without focus on something can cause a certain amount of disassociation or what is sometimes called 'right brain dominance,' which makes getting things done less easy.

At another level, what many so-called non-duality teachers often fail to impress upon their flock that true non-duality includes both the non-dual awareness state and the duality awareness state. In other words, being fully present in one should not exclude being fully present in the other.

Yeah, well it's just that i haven't really felt the same ever since reading his book- maybe what i describe is something that's partially personal but it has had a lot to do with that as well. In fact, i haven't felt myself WHATSOEVER ever since: like no voice, in my head so who am i anyway? i just think his whole project to "awaken" people is pure BS. Being happy and content with life should not involve an annihilation of "the poor suffering self"- I fell right for his trap. Being without a "self" isn't bliss, it's like being nothing- a corporeal shell walking back and forth. If you're just "being" what's the point of being? Exactly. You may as well as not be.
True, people have egoic tendencies and compulsive thinking which ultimately makes them unhappy but that you can figure out the truth yourself if you're intelligent. You don't need to "get it" and "awaken". You can use plenty of techniques over and over to quiet the mind without becoming some kind of zombie, without some moron telling you that "the problem is you've been thinking, let go" blah blah - i just hate how he makes sheep out of people. Myself included.

Posted by: WineGuy ()
Date: February 11, 2011 02:55PM

If you have "become a zombie" or find that it is actually harder to "get things done" then I would contend you have made an error in practice or more likely you are not actually "doing a practice" but have just absorbed the "ideas" on the teaching of non-dualism at an intellectual level only. If you do not want to move in the non-dual direction (and many do not) then I recommend the following....

1. Stop reading the books; it takes some time for the teachings to reach the point of no return. Usually years.
2. Make a point to start spending time with other people. Go the other direction and go overboard with human interaction, even to the point of annoyance, just to shed the inclination to be by yourself
3. Start reading science books, I recommend "The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. A great book for re-wiring.

Personally, non-dual is my very practice and goal itself, but I do not have any issues getting things done. In fact, things are much more smooth now that I am getting my ego out of the way. But it is not for everyone. Good luck!

Date: February 13, 2011 12:08AM

WineGuy
If you have "become a zombie" or find that it is actually harder to "get things done" then I would contend you have made an error in practice or more likely you are not actually "doing a practice" but have just absorbed the "ideas" on the teaching of non-dualism at an intellectual level only. If you do not want to move in the non-dual direction (and many do not) then I recommend the following....

1. Stop reading the books; it takes some time for the teachings to reach the point of no return. Usually years.
2. Make a point to start spending time with other people. Go the other direction and go overboard with human interaction, even to the point of annoyance, just to shed the inclination to be by yourself
3. Start reading science books, I recommend "The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. A great book for re-wiring.

Personally, non-dual is my very practice and goal itself, but I do not have any issues getting things done. In fact, things are much more smooth now that I am getting my ego out of the way. But it is not for everyone. Good luck!

yeah, i tried reading "demon haunted world" but my cognitive resources have been totally been shot by tolle's bs so it was quite a difficult read and i didn't finish it.
That's another thing, your brain capacity and IQ totally plummets after reading his shit- at least that's what i feel has happened to me.

I hope he earns so much money from his books that he suffocates on it and then we'll collectively be awaiting our new saviour to help solve our problems.

Posted by: purefat ()
Date: February 13, 2011 11:14PM

Hi TOT,

You may be able to recover with the passing of time. Otherwise you may have to accept your condition and deal with it. Advice could be an attempt to turn you in a certain direction, toward another cult or mind game. Good luck.

Date: February 14, 2011 12:37AM

purefat
Hi TOT,

You may be able to recover with the passing of time. Otherwise you may have to accept your condition and deal with it. Advice could be an attempt to turn you in a certain direction, toward another cult or mind game. Good luck.

Yeah that's the key word isn't it, "accept", straight out of Tolle's New Age/ Dumb-brain lingo. Once you "accept" the brainwash you're in for a treat for the rest of your life.
Who cares about critical thinking, reasoning, intellect, having opinions about things like a normal person and all of that?
It's all Ego!
Let's just become content as a clam (feel ""joy") for each remaining moment (another key word) of our lives!... and dumb and dry as a doorknob and about as interesting as a rock.
It's been more that a year since i went from an intelligent individual to your average / below _average near-dimwit without a personality so i don't hold my breath out for some miraculous, sponatenous recovery.
Words just shoot out of my mouth without any filtering being done in advance and though i sometimes surprise myself by saying things that might not be unintelligent, there's little critical ability, reasoning and cognitive skills left whatsoever (or thought, can't forget that one).
I barely have any opinions about anything either..
..Uhhh.. whatever

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.